Make a donation

Author Topic: Making the jump from GTI to Edition 30  (Read 9969 times)

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Making the jump from GTI to Edition 30
« on: January 07, 2016, 01:05:56 pm »
Who's done it? and was it worth it?!

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
Re: Making the jump from GTI to Edition 30
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 01:41:10 pm »
I didn't know much about the Edition 30 when I bought my MK5 GTI - I thought they were all the same with a few cosmetic upgrades etc.

Thinking back now, I'd defo have gone for an Edition 30 if I'd done my research beforehand! The bigger turbo and extra 30 horses is a huge bonus in my book.

I'm sure someone with an Edition 30 will be able to comment on how awesome they actually are.
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 01:46:15 pm »
ED30 noticeably laggier but pulls better to the redline. 

The main reason for buying an Eddy is that engine and the wheels!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 02:01:41 pm »
Even in standard form, the edition 30 pulls much harder at the top end.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 02:10:01 pm »

Yup. ED30's power band just feels a lot fatter than the GTI's from 3000rpm upwards.

I wouldn't mind a more modern turbo for mine.  Same size as the K04, but more efficient compressor and roller bearings etc.  Just to get a little more beef below 3000.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 02:16:50 pm »

Yup. ED30's power band just feels a lot fatter than the GTI's from 3000rpm upwards.

I wouldn't mind a more modern turbo for mine.  Same size as the K04, but more efficient compressor and roller bearings etc.  Just to get a little more beef below 3000.

Agreed, however, that being said, the GTIs KO3 turbo is very linear and feels surprisingly natural and spritely.

Offline Berry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 07:58:29 pm »
I'd have loved an ED30 and really tried hard to find one but was finding I was compromising on the condition/mileage to even get within 1k of my honest budget, they're just so much more cash unfortunately! I think looks wise they're just more 'finished' than the standard GTI's, in my opinion.
Test drove one though and I agree about the lag...I'm sure it could be mapped to make it feel more linear? And on that topic, a Stage 1 map can, apparently, take you up to 300bhp with the ed30 engine. They're a tad more tunable from stock.
Plus I preferred the seats to both the cloth, and the full leather.

What's your budget, or are you just pondering?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:02:57 pm by Berry »
Shadow Blue MK5 GTI

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 08:08:23 pm »
If you can afford an ed30 then get one. If you buy a gti your already on this forum so will only spend thousands on trying to make the gti as good as the ed30 and you won't get that money back unless your a real bargain hunter!

The ed30's are holding their value really well if it's reasonable mileage and well looked after

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 08:55:24 pm »
i had an ED30 my son has a GTI . The ED30 is a great car but in normal driving the GTI is better as the engine is on the power sooner . The ED30 is only better imho opinion when really booting it and that for most is not that often . The reason i got an ED30 was for its rarity , i don't like having a car that everyone else has and enthusiasts know the difference. I would have another ED30 if i had somewhere to store it .as to whether it is worth going from GTI to ED30 i would say no unless modding was your thing and i can never really see the attraction , but each to their own .
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 09:02:43 pm »
Lots of good points made here.

@Pudding Have a look at Dan's build here, he's fitted a k03 hybrid turbo with good results. Well north of 300bhp, safely, and minimising lag:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=88732.msg1002464.msg#1002464

I was well aware of the potential of an ed30 before I got my k03 GTI, but I just couldn't stretch the budget enough to get a good one.

Yes, I have spent a bit on BBS VZs, ed30 front, colour coding etc, but even taking that into account I think I'd still be a bit short of proper eddy money.

I like the k03 for what it is. It's never going to be a straight line monster, but on the right road it's so good to drive, especially with a bit of R-Tech magic.

I think if I really wanted to do the k04 (and inevitably beyond) thing, it'd make much more sense to me to go 4wd and DSG.

After going out in Hurdy's 6R, even though it's an extreme example, I can't help thinking much more than 350bhp would be wasted on a 2wd car.

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 09:21:13 pm »

@Pudding Have a look at Dan's build here, he's fitted a k03 hybrid turbo with good results. Well north of 300bhp, safely, and minimising lag:

I was well aware of the potential of an ed30 before I got my k03 GTI, but I just couldn't stretch the budget enough to get a good one.

Yes, I have spent a bit on BBS VZs, ed30 front, colour coding etc, but even taking that into account I think I'd still be a bit short of proper eddy money.

I like the k03 for what it is. It's never going to be a straight line monster, but on the right road it's so good to drive, especially with a bit of R-Tech magic.

I think if I really wanted to do the k04 (and inevitably beyond) thing, it'd make much more sense to me to go 4wd and DSG.

After going out in Hurdy's 6R, even though it's an extreme example, I can't help thinking much more than 350bhp would be wasted on a 2wd car.

Only thing that lets the car down IMO is 2wd in the summer it's great but this last month or so I'm finding it hard to enjoy the car simply because I can't get the power down and I hate driving in the dark which it is when I go to work and come home from work. I didn't plan on usuing my ed30 in the winter really so it doesn't bother me too much tbh

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 09:24:50 pm »

Only thing that lets the car down IMO is 2wd in the summer it's great but this last month or so I'm finding it hard to enjoy the car simply because I can't get the power down and I hate driving in the dark which it is when I go to work and come home from work. I didn't plan on usuing my ed30 in the winter really so it doesn't bother me too much tbh
Yeah completely agree. I'm only at 240odd bhp but the torque peaks at 300lbft, and you just can't get your foot down in anywhere near a safe way when it's cold, wet and dark.

Nice to have power 'in reserve' though

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 09:29:14 pm »

Yeah completely agree. I'm only at 240odd bhp but the torque peaks at 300lbft, and you just can't get your foot down in anywhere near a safe way when it's cold, wet and dark.

Nice to have power 'in reserve' though

I Tryed having a spirited drive this morning and 1st and 2nd no chance 3rds good if it's a good road surface which in England is not very often lol. I drove my dads rs3 8v yesterday though which makes me want 4wd even more!

Just gunna took the ed30 away and drive my daily. Then the money I save on fuel over winter pile into hardware for stage 2+ to come back better in summer  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 09:33:14 pm »
1st and often 2nd are no chance for me even on a dry road, and that's on Supersports! Think the k03 just comes in so hard that you've lost grip before you even get to the kind of rpm where a k04 shines.

Anti-lift kit is on the list...

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 09:58:53 pm »
1st and often 2nd are no chance for me even on a dry road, and that's on Supersports! Think the k03 just comes in so hard that you've lost grip before you even get to the kind of rpm where a k04 shines.

Anti-lift kit is on the list...

Really? I'm easily flat in second on Goodyear F1s.