Make a donation

Author Topic: Running sub/amp from the RNS510, anyone?  (Read 21828 times)

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Running sub/amp from the RNS510, anyone?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 01:21:18 pm »
Hmm, interesting as that pin is listed as "Display voltage supply, positive, optional for radio module low version only" in my pin diagram, which could well mean that it will provide a positive voltage for a remote output, I would need to test it with a multimeter to be sure though.

This is a neat solution, if I had seen this adaptor before I fitted my RNS-510 I may well have used it rather than messing about with a Line Output Converter, although I am pleased with the results that solution is giving me now.

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 02:23:56 pm »
If you do get round to checking it let me know please.

My thoughts about that pin location was that that was the switch for the models with the optional amp.
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 03:15:54 pm »
Yep, which makes sense if it's essentially just outputting remote amp 12V signal whilst the stereo is on.

Don't know when I'll next have the stereo out of the car, but I'll definitely check this when I do.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 03:48:15 pm »
I'm running a Blaupunkt THA555 PnP five channel power amplifier with a 12" sub in mine and it sounds superb.  Actually one of the best mods ive done.  See here: http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/amplifier_4.asp

Not cheap, but if like me you just like things to work, it's well worth the money.

Some pics

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 05:31:29 pm »
I agree it is a neat solution, my only issue with those Blaupunkt PnP amps is that they are only Class D units and £300 is an awful lot of money to spend on a class D amp. That said, it's an excellent solution if you just want something simple that is easy to install and will just work.

At the moment I'm using a Genesis Profile Four which is a Class AB amplifier and really does sound lovely, it costs about the same as the Blaupunkt you have, but IMHO there is a huge difference in sound quality between the two units. This is why I persevered with creating a custom PnP harness with a built-in Line Output Converter.

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=383&Itemid=54

There is a place for both approaches of course and I can honestly understand the appeal of those Blaupunkt units, but it is nice to have the choice to run a higher quality amp if sound quality is very important to the user.

My amp and sub look like this at the moment (the sub was taken out of an old car and is probably too big for the Golf, sounds okay though):

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 06:05:08 pm by mclovin »

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 05:53:06 pm »
mclovin, dude... do you fancy making something that a simpleton like me can simply plug and play?

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 06:04:10 pm »
I could probably knock up a cable that would make life easier if you wanted to plug in an amp and so on. I like the idea of using the dedicated audio outputs rather than a Line Output Converter so I'll look into that further, but my concern is that it uses output pins in a block that is probably already being used, so you would need to move connector pins between the blocks which is fiddly and hardly plug and play.

The problem is that everyone has different set ups, some have Bluetooth, some have the MDI and so on plus that Quadlock connector on the back of your stereo gets very crowded very quickly so there isn't really a one size fits all solution, which is why I took the time to write up the guide to making your own PnP harness. I suppose I could knock up custom harnesses for a reasonable price but I am a busy professional and I really don't know how I'd find the time to do very many...

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 06:12:32 pm »
ah well no worries, couldnt hurt to ask  :ashamed: :drinking:

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 02:46:56 pm »
Ok bought one of these from Sextons Direct and got round to fitting it yesterday.

Got me a switched live from this guide here:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40936.0

The amp power ups fine using the switched live so all is good there. However there is no sound from the sub, well it buzzes quietly. I checked the RCA and tried different ones still no joy, so got me thinking is the lead the right one??

If you look at the wiring info on the back of the RNS

(Monte I used your photo from another thread hope thats ok?)

You can see that the pins to which the Line Out Convertor is attached refers to "Mic in"  and "Mic Out" this surely can't be right. Anyone got any ideas as  want to put the car back together??

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 07:36:06 pm »
Ok so the part in my post is definnately will not give you a line out signal for your amp / sub, that part will give you a line into the RNS only.

The part you need is this:

Autoleads PC1 610

I also used a SOT harness (similar to McLovin's thread) as well which is basically an extension cable for the car's original harness which you can tap into rather than the cars wiring so when you want to remove no one knows you've tocuhed it.

And hey presto I've now got a sub and amp connected to my RNS510. Nice.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:37:48 pm by Rob GTI »