Make a donation

Author Topic: Ping Type Noise Coming From Front Steering. As Much Help As Poss Please :(  (Read 9974 times)

Offline Phil_T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Audi S3
    • Email
As above since getting the car back from having the uprated clutch at Statller during low speeds upto 10-15mph the steering seems to make a metal ping noise, I think it is when I go full lock eithier side (Or at least quite far) & the best way to say what it sounds like is a metal ping noise almost like the noise you get when your exhaust is cooling down after a drive or when a metal clip fires off.

Any help please before it goes for further mods on weds at Statller, As I dont want to fit lowering springs then audi blame it on them

For Sale - Airlift Performance Struts & Accuair Elevel/Ilevel Management - 18" BBS E28 Magnesium Split Wheels, Carbon Fibre Front Splitter
Old Car 2009 Audi S3 365bhp Gone - New Car 2013 C63 Amg Now With 525bhp

Saint Steve

Mine does that sometimes on full lock. Perhaps the steering rack or  Top Suspention bushes jamming?

Offline Phil_T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Audi S3
    • Email
Any other suggestions?

For Sale - Airlift Performance Struts & Accuair Elevel/Ilevel Management - 18" BBS E28 Magnesium Split Wheels, Carbon Fibre Front Splitter

Offline Phil_T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Audi S3
    • Email
Well wheel bearing fixed the pinging noise but the last two weeks the steering has started knocking. I had it lowered a while back now & its been fine up till now then to make things worse the pinging noise has come back but I think its the other wheel!!!

The pinging noise on the car has only happend since audi put on new disks & pads all round under warrenty!! do you think they could have bashed the disks on too hard & messed up the bearings?

Getting abit pissed off taking the car back & forth now! and its all to do with the steering.

Any help please

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
I'd also suspect sticking top mount bearings...

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Phil_T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Audi S3
    • Email
Thanks, more suggestions the better so I can give them to Audi

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Just make sure the springs are correctly sited in the top and bottom seats on the struts.  Pinging noises from springs not quite seated correctly is fairly common.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Phil_T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Audi S3
    • Email
Re: Ping Type Noise Coming From Front Steering. As Much Help As Poss Please :(
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 08:19:52 pm »
Still got this problem, Audi have replace the wheel bearings & top mounts & the problem is still there. They also took my springs out & regreased everything up for me to no avail. Any ideas as me & Audi are running out of them.

Like said only at parking speeds, does it when hot & cold, when the wheel is turned about 3/4 way, has done it from both sides.

Best way to descibe the sound is a metal pinging noise like when an exhaust its hot & is cooling down except this is coming from me steering lol.

PLEASE HELP :(

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 2
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 12:31:01 pm »
I used to have an problem on my MKIII Driver where if it was cold and the car had been sat when turning left or right there was resistance followed by a twang noise. I never got the issue fixed before selling the car but two different people suggested it was my steering rack.

Has the rack, and other steering related bushes been inspected? The noise you've described suggests something is catching I would guess

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 01:02:38 pm »
I'd be checking for shiney areas where the bits are loose (whereever that may be), bolts holding rack , but also subframe bolts.

have a look at
http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28617  
and
http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56278&highlight=loose+subframe+bolts

and the suggested fix (although Ive not done it myself!)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4467071

:happy2:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:08:38 pm by john_o »
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline flyboy1976

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 10:59:06 am »
x2 with the latter thread posted by the previous memeber (vw vortex link) , this sorted my clicks and clunks out bigtime. replace the 2 rear subframe bolts with the ones in the picture (the green coloured ones) and also replace the front two M12 bolts and torque up to 81lbft with 90 degree turn on each bolt, then check  wheel alignment. hope this helps?  :driver:

Offline Phil_T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Audi S3
    • Email
Still got this problem which was never solved any other ideas?? as it will be going to audi for a service shortly

Only other info ive found on the net is

If the springs are both okay, and the noise is a little more 'tinny' it could be that the backing plate for the front hub is mis-aligned, this causes the ABS sensor to *just* touch the plate under turning. Remove the front wheel, and relocate the backing plate.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:01:19 pm by Phil_T »