Make a donation

Author Topic: Dbilas / Pipercross hybrid pics  (Read 5793 times)

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Dbilas / Pipercross hybrid pics
« on: June 26, 2010, 09:39:23 pm »
For those that wanted pics:

Why? well I found that most intakes on the Mk5 are stupidly noisy which is mainly due to manufacturers using very thin walled tubing that creates a very 'whooshy' noise at low throttle and low rpm. The Dbilas uses a much thicker wall cast material and doesnt have the whooshy noises, but the Dbilas airbox IS restrictive due to its rubbish design, logs show a difference of 200mb extra boost pressure and around 18g/s more on the AFM logs at some rpm points. Intake temps under load are no different despite the open filter and the car feels so much better under light and heavy load, more eager and hits peak boost a LOT earlier. It also sounds great. Nice and quiet when you want it to be as well.

I can get these filters in for around £40, if you have a Dbilas, give it a go. I will gladly refund you if you are not happy with the transformation. (above gains / results are based on a stage 2+ K04)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:42:21 pm by PDT »

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
Re: Dbilas / Pipercross hybrid pics
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:42:40 pm »
 :stupid:

now edited.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 09:46:10 pm »
http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/pipercross-venom-cold-air-intakebr-golf-5-gti-20t-fsi-golf-5-gti-edition-30-20t-fsi-1003-p-4909.html

ive sorted myself out with one of these, looks like it might be the same filter inside??  it should be here tomorrow so ill have a look

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:50:31 pm »
The pipercross venom looks OK actually, I am yet to test one and see if they sound like a hoover (like most inlets do)

Pipercross claim that the venom unit will flow 350+bhp without restriction so it may be a good option, saying that I tried a universal venom filter unit and it had no reinforcement inside the filter and it sucked the filter inside out on a 330bhp car!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 09:55:23 pm »
no bad for a free intake lol. im going to go out and log the MAF and boost before and after fitting it, then graph it over each over to see the improvments.  

are they dry or oiled filters? and wha are their lifespans?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 10:43:35 pm »
They are dry filters, We often get cars in with 10+ year old pipercross stuff on so they last! easy to clean as well. Have used Pipercross on all of my track/race cars for years.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 10:52:18 pm »
do you suffer heat soak issus when in traffic with that filter sucking in the hot engine air?

Offline Bogwoppit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 12:02:39 am »
no bad for a free intake lol. im going to go out and log the MAF and boost before and after fitting it, then graph it over each over to see the improvments.  

vRSy

This is the intake I am thinking of getting, it will also be going on an octavia. Can you post some pics of it when its fitted ect?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 11:03:35 am »
do you suffer heat soak issus when in traffic with that filter sucking in the hot engine air?

I rarely get out of the car and open the bonnet in traffic, but I Imagine the filter is hot, but I have logged intake temps (at the manifold) after the car has sat running for a good 5 mins while setting up the logging and the intake temps recover very quickly, this is helped by the ultra efficient Twintercooler that I have fitted, which I rate as one of my favourite mods on my car.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 11:36:11 am »

vRSy

This is the intake I am thinking of getting, it will also be going on an octavia. Can you post some pics of it when its fitted ect?

course i can mate, not a problem :happy2:,still waiting for my mate to arrive with it though

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 11:48:41 am »

Hmm like the sound of that and was going to try a while back but never got round to it. May try your filter recommendation  :happy2:

Your Dbilas looks high on the turbo side? Like its sloping down?
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 10:14:03 pm »
I have the Dbilas with my GIAC map only on pump and race as they dont class them as stage 1,2 etc.. this and a S3 Intercooler
would this provide benefits?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 04:17:00 pm »

Hmm like the sound of that and was going to try a while back but never got round to it. May try your filter recommendation  :happy2:

Think thats down to the braket on the right hand side not being tight, need to make something a little more substantial that the poor effort that Dbilas designed  :confused:

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 02:29:07 pm »

Think thats down to the braket on the right hand side not being tight, need to make something a little more substantial that the poor effort that Dbilas designed  :confused:

Yep i keep stripping the thread!

Whats clearance like between the bonnet and cone filter?

Cheers. :happy2:
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline SteveTDCi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 07:08:40 pm »
i'd be interested to see how this goes otherwise i might go down the K&N route but will need to modify it to fit the K04 DV.