Make a donation

Author Topic: Palm automotive uv blinds question  (Read 2445 times)

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
Palm automotive uv blinds question
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:01:27 pm »
I've just received my blinds from vanstyle. They're for a 5 door.  Does anyone know how the clips for the side windows fit?  I got some instructions but the pics are in black and White and are very poor.  If Antibes got any photos of theirs fitted showing clip positions that would be great.  I've had a quick look tonight in the dark, nearly lost a clip some I've come in and opened a beer!

Any help would be spot on

Cheers

Andy

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
Re: Palm automotive uv blinds question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:11:18 pm »
Hi Andy

I too struggled!  I initially tried to get the rubber window trim into the 'groove' in the clip but found it wouldn't really work that way.  I then turned the clip upside down and tucked the whole of the flat end behind the rubber.  I did this with both clips for the side window, positioned as per the instructions.  To fit the blind, put the bottom corners in first so it is snug within the window frame.  There should be a gap of about 1cm between the glass and the blind.  Then compress the top edge of the blind down and tuck the top under the front of the two clips.  You might have to hold the clip with your other hand while you tuck the top of the blind under it.  I found that by doing it this way the blind held the clips in, and the clips held the blind in!  :laugh:

I hope that makes some sort of sense!!  If you're still struggling, I can try and take some pics for you.  I assume that you had no problems with the rear blinds!

Whether I've done it the right way, I don't know but it seems to work!  :jumpmove:

Good luck.  :happy2:

Paul.

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:14:41 pm »
Have you seen my 3dr write up? Just wondering if my fitting guide would help at all

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:19:16 pm »
Cheers for that Paul.  I didn't get round to the rear started with the sides, struggled, dropped a clip, swore alot, found the clip, put blinds in the bag and gave up for the night.  I think I might have had it how you described but it didn't feel really secure so I tried like you putting the clip groove in the rubber seal but that didn't seem right either.  If you could post some photos that would be spot on mate.

Cheers

Andy

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:20:22 pm »
Have you seen my 3dr write up? Just wondering if my fitting guide would help at all

Saw that mate but I didn't think the side windows on the 3 door have any clips

Andy

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 09:59:11 pm »
Right, here goes..

Insert the first clip behind the rubber, in line with the join in the two windows.  The reflection is complicating things a bit here..

Then put the second clip in as shown..

Start by putting the bottom of the blind in..

Pull the top of the blind down and tuck it under the clip..

Once in, gently push the front of the clip upwards which will make it more secure. In this picture, hold the front of the clip and lift upwards which will push the back down behind the rubber..

Same with the other clip..

Once in, check both clips are feeling fairly secure..

I actually moved the second clip along a bit and wrapped the label round on itself to 'hide' it a bit..

Hope that explains things a bit!  As I said before, I still don't know if that's the right way, but it seems to work better with the clips this way up!  If anyone knows any better, feel free to contribute.  The rear ones are straightforward compared to these, so I'm sure you'll be OK with them.

Good luck again!

Paul.

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:06:06 pm »
Cheers for that buddy I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on
 :happy2:

Andy

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:11:48 pm »
PND has the right idea, the clips go on the top.

The door rubber should sit flush once the clip is in properly.

The clip has a square 'u' shaped section that the metal edge behind the rubber actually sits in.

Hard to explain  :rolleye:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:26:14 pm by apollo13 »
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 10:34:11 pm »
Oh yeah!!! I get it now!!  I can't believe I didn't actually realise that the clip goes onto the metal!  In my defence, it was dark when I first fitted them!  :signLOL:

The clips are the right way round in my pics, but instead of just tucking the clip behind the rubber, the clip actually fits onto the metal by pulling the rubber down a bit more, away from the metal, sliding the clip upwards with the metal going into the slot in the clip, until the rubber can go back to where it started!  The clip is therefore fastened onto the metal which holds it in place.  I had to move the clip along slightly away from the join in the two windows, so that it could slide up properly onto the metal.

Cheers Apollo - I've now got my blinds correctly installed!!   :drinking:

Andy, you should find this feels a bit more secure now!   :happy2:

Cheers chaps.

Paul.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 10:40:51 pm »
No problem   :happy2:

HTH
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 11:02:30 pm »
PND have you got any pics of how you've now got the clips fitted?

Andy

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 11:36:16 pm »
I've been about to switch my computer off 3 times...  :sleepy:  Anyway, after another trip into my garage..  :grin:

Sorry about the jaunty angle of the first photo!  Pull down the rubber strip to reveal..

..the extremely useful metal strip that the clip might just slot on to!

That's more like it!

Clip now 'attached' to the metal strip which is revealed when you pull the rubber strip down.  Obvious when you know how!  :drinking:

Glad to be of assistance!

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 07:55:09 am »
PND and APOLLO13
  Just an update - got to work this morning armed with both your helpful info all blinds were fitted in 10 minutes.   :jumpmove:

Easy when you get clear instructions like both you gave.

Cheers fellas  :happy2:

Andy
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:57:09 am by nads1_uk »

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 08:08:01 am »
Yeah! If only the instructions had shown it properly in the first place!  :jumping:

Glad you're sorted.  They're a good fit when they're in properly!

Paul.