Make a donation

Author Topic: Tackling that filthy black exhaust!!!!  (Read 6221 times)

Offline Jussa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
Tackling that filthy black exhaust!!!!
« on: June 22, 2011, 05:59:47 pm »
Schoolboy error, in that I didn't take 'before' pics, but trust me the exhaust was filthy and black, I'm sure anybody that came down to JKM for the RR could confirm this.
Anyway, after reading numerous articles about what to use/not to use, I went onto the Milltek website on cleaning advise.
A lot of guys on here swear by Autosol, and I'm sure it's good.  The Milltek site told me to use simple Silvo from Tesco (with wadding).......£2.29 who can complain at that price?  :party:
Started with some rubber gloves, hot water and a non-scratch foam scourer to remove what I could of the black SH!T  :happy2:
After letting it dry for a bit I got out the silvo wadding and starting polishing, and in between polishing I continued using the non-scratch foam scourer to assist in getting the stubborn muck off.
A word of advise....!!!!!  Make sure you cut the wadding in half before starting the polishing.  I didn't and thought I was going to go to hospital when the back end of the wadding (due to my vigorous polishing) shot up and sprayed Silvo in my eye.......what F**Kin pain that was!!!  :signLOL:
Anyway, after washing my eye out numerous times I continued with the job at hand.
After leaving the milky silvo residue to dry, and being sure that all the muck was off, I polished the tips up with a simple blue economy cloth.  :jumpmove:
Pics below - excuse the rest of my filthy car, the exhaust is now the cleanest part  :signLOL:

2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Tackling that filthy black exhaust!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 06:08:09 pm »

Good work!  If only we had a bloody tesco in Germany Grrrrrr, or an Asda, or...... lol

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 06:12:53 pm »
Nice one mate.
I gave up trying to clean mine and just bought a milltek instead :D

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:16:16 pm »
Nice one mate.
I gave up trying to clean mine and just bought a milltek instead :D

That is a milly Al.... :grin:

Well done mate, its about time you sorted them out  :drinking:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 06:17:51 pm »
 :signLOL: mine is a Milltek 1  :confused:
Are you saying your tips don't go black?  :fighting:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:24:28 pm »

Mines a Miltek & filthy

Offline Merlinman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 06:27:19 pm »
Much better!

Now sort that block paving out!  :grin:

Jeyes Fluid will kill the moss (and Bird Flu)  :happy2:

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 06:33:32 pm »
 :signLOL: I'll get the missus to sort that out straight away!!  :mad:

Offline jamesDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 10:26:49 pm »
Autosol is great as well!

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 10:40:07 pm »
I'm sure it is, I know quite a few guys on here rave about it.  I just thought I'd try what Milltek suggested, and for the price it works a treat!  :drinking:

Offline uk_stu

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 08:36:09 pm »
Use 00 Grade wire wool and autosol... its what most detailers use to get exhausts looking shiny again and its very easy!!!

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 09:07:37 pm »
Ive tried everything on my standard tips and nothing really worked on the tarnished bits (i prob left em dirty for far too long) till I tried that Astonish Hob cleaner stuff (comes in a small square tub and is a white paste)  :happy2:  It really is amazing and works really well wth one of those no-scratch sponge scourers like Jussa mentioned. Its cuts really good without any damage  :wink:

Cheap as chips too.

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 11:02:52 am »
 :signLOL:, that stuff sounds good as well, may have to try some next time  :happy2:
The tarnished bits took quite a bit of elbow grease to get off, but eventually they did start disappearing  :jumpmove:
Maybe that oven cleaner stuff will remove the grubby stuff easier, so will try it next time, but I would deffo recommend the silvo for a nice shiny finish!!  :party:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 12:02:17 pm »
good result-i use the silvo  wadding as well --now you need to do inside the tips as well :happy2:

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 09:11:16 pm »
And now the 'beast' has been cleaned to match the shiny exhaust  :pomppomp:
Not really quality pics though, only taken with my iphone 3GS   :party: