Make a donation

Author Topic: Jims Shadow blue gti - update 050512 - 996 with 330mm on!  (Read 13565 times)

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Jims Shadow blue gti - update 050512 - 996 with 330mm on!
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:57:31 pm »
Hi guys

Been on here a month or so now after buying my 55 plate shadow blue from a former member on here.

Travelled to London from North Notts to collect and I have to say the 150 miles back were most impressive.....my last car was a 280 horse mk2, but the 260hp in the mk5 didnt dissappoint, the performance was a nice surprise! It came with an AMD map, Milltek full zorst with cat and DP, Forge Twin cooler and DV, also Mintex pads.

As it was.

I thought the car wanted for nothing but on closer acquaintance I realised it wants some wheel bearings - so they are on the list.

After being in here a week or so and seeing the 'rusty wings' thread -  I also found out that my wings werent so clever - and I also found corrosion to the cill, rear quarter and tailgate :surprised:

Well I think it is a blessing in disguise as the car is in with VW as we speak - should be back tomorrow -  the whole car bar the roof will have been painted as I paid em a few quid to do the rest of it!

I have some TT arrms and balls here to go on (thanks JONTFSI) and I bought some Eibach springs to go on too - sat here ready. Ialso have one S3 hub that I am going to play with big brake setups.

The missus has some HIDS for me from Santa, and my plans are get the suspension sorted, refurb the wheels over xmas.

Longer term is an induction kit, big brakes and a touchscreen OE headunit!

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:07:00 pm by jimk04 »

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Jims Shadow blue gti - work in progress
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:18:51 pm »
Lovely colour mate, was looking for a blue one myself.  I couldn't find one so went for steel grey, which I think is still nice.  :happy2:

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 07:40:37 pm »
So some proper photos at last.....got it back from the paint shop last week. There are some niggles to sort but generally I am pleased...I think!

I plan to fit my Eibach springs over Xmas - I think I will leave the TT arms and hubs until I can afford a WALK!

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Jims Shadow blue gti - new pics
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 11:17:42 pm »
Nice pics.  :santa:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 11:35:47 pm »

Wouldn't it be better to do them all later and only pay for one alignment?

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 12:26:58 am »

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 06:58:56 am »
It would Mike yeah but I am getting fed up looking at this eibach box Sat here! I might build up a bbk on the alloy hubs on the bench, then bolt all that lot on later on. Hoping the springs won't.throw things out too much!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 07:03:26 am by jimk04 »

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 09:08:33 pm »
Nice shadow blue mk5. Its such a nice colour when the sun hits it.  :smiley:
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 10:17:40 pm »
Thanks mate. I think I will tackle the lowering springs tomorrow.!

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 08:12:22 pm »
I fitted my Eibach Sportlines over Chrimbo and then yesterday gave it a good old detailing with my new Zymol and Autoglym HD wax stuff..

The springs are really good for me personally - they have left the ride as factory and given me the aesthetica of a reasonable drop - all at sensible money. 

They were a lot more time consuming to fit than I thought :confused: Were an absolute cow to do the fronts - what with the driveshaft and splitting the hub to insert the strut :fighting:

But it was worth the battle...! all seems ok alignement wise, and I only do 100 miles a week so if it is slightly out its not going to scrub much. Iwill be doing the arms soon so that will necessitate a proper set up doing.

I also fitted some 6000k HIDs which I am pleased with - although they were terrible to fit as the buld holder bayonets were sh1te! :mad:

Keep looking at Porker calipers and just wish I had the cash to do all I want to do..

On the list are

Porsche calipers - prob 996
Merc 330x28 discs
Passat R26 rear ARB
Intake
FitNGK Iridium  '8' plugs I just bought
Fit TT arms  that I have - and alloy - poss TT hubs
WALK or Powerflo rear bushes with castor change
Wheel spacers
Looking at Porsche Cup 1 design wheels! Similar to the OE Monzas so should blend in quite well.

Does anyone have an alternative to Photobucket by the way!! IT took sooo long to sort these few pics out and there should have been more but it kept crashing

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Jims Shadow blue gti - update 03-01-12
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 08:21:45 pm »

The Vw special tool makes the hub so much easier to split, half a turn of the tool and the hub practically falls off the strut and the strut ramains prized open until its put back together and bit/tool removed

bit lare for the tip tho lol

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 06:34:40 am »
How much are they Mike?.....from the dealers?

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 01:44:10 pm »
How much are they Mike?.....from the dealers?

It's litterally a socket with a semi elliptical shape bit, but knowing how much they charge for these silly 'special' tools god knows!

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Jims Shadow blue gti
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 08:01:08 pm »
So been to Shark today - pulled 257@5800 and 309lbsft @ 3400.

Pretty pleased. Ben said there is a load to come if I do the intake and hpfp - but I guess  I already knew that! Its just a case of cash!

You may have seen my 330 brake project in the performance section....that is what I am busy with at the moment!

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Jims Shadow blue gti
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 08:14:55 pm »
I have decided to put all my modding stuff in this thread from now - seems to be the way!

Brakes are nearly ready to go on (from my '330mm brake conversion' thread. Still not sure whether to go 'AMG' or 'Porsche' with the decals :confused:

Not quite DAveB standard refinshing but once all lacquered they'll be fine!

Went to Doncaster today to pick up a mk6  TSI style airbox that I won off the Bay....when looking on ETKA its amazing how far back and how many cars they came on....this ones from a 2006 PAssat TDI!

I hadnt banked on this problem tho

Top rad hose bang in the way....looking on ETKA for a hose which skirts around the airbox and not through it!

The top element offered in here just for laughs

Then I gave it a little detail

And then I went out and 'kicked its ass' as we say around here.! The usual blat with my bro in his E30 M3

Up the 'old A1' from Markham Moor to Tuxford and on to Sutton on Trent - then back round. We came across a guy out in his 60 plate Boxster Spyder.....he couldnt shake us! We pulled up in town and had a good chat  - he was quite surprised that he didnt loose us. He also had a GT3RS tucked up..... :party:

Good times when you tag onto some like minded lunatic having a 'Sunday drive'!