Make a donation

Author Topic: Help Bonnet won't Open!!  (Read 11820 times)

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
Help Bonnet won't Open!!
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:24:28 pm »
Bonnet release inside car is loose and will not open the bonnet!!! How do I get bonnet open and fix it!!!!!!!

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
Re: Help Bonnet won't Open!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:38:02 pm »
Your cable/catch is goosed, lucky its shut, mine went when the bloody thing was open, not good.  :sad1:
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 10:27:29 pm »
It's a fairly common problem due to corrosion - You just need to get a new bonnet lock unit fitted by your VW dealer.

Mine got stuck open on a trackday in Germany but we checked the fluids, fiddled about with a screwdriver to get it closed and didn't open it again until at my VW dealer's in the UK.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline B1NCC 1.8T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 11:31:47 pm »
I do these regularly, fiddily wee job tho-replacing the catch
If you can manage to get the Bonnet open that make the job alot easier.
Other wise ul have to break into the bonnet

We do this by removing the VW grille badge ( twists off ) this allows access to the bottom of the Bonnet catch/lock
It's just a case of fiddling around with a bent screwdriver etc until you open the bonnet.

Or dump it at the dealers and get a bill££

20vt mk2 & GTI Edition30 no 0540

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:49:34 pm »
Part number 1K1 823 509E

about £30

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 06:42:14 am »
Twist the vw badge to the left, it will come with abit of force.

Then undo the 2 torx screws thats underneath the bottom grille ( corners of number plate ) then lift the bottom
Up.  Then youll see 3 torx screws which is behind the vw badge holding the catch in. 2 of them are easy other 1 ull have to go through the grill. 

Once they are loose you can lift the bonnet up abit more to get a screwdriver to release the catch.

Check the cable, and check it hasnt come off from the black plastic thats to the left of the bay!
- #1240 ED30 Revo STAGE2+
- Southeast - Vag Com owner

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:27:52 am »

Then undo the 2 torx screws thats underneath the bottom grille ( corners of number plate ) then lift the bottom
Up.  Then youll see 3 torx screws which is behind the vw badge holding the catch in. 2 of them are easy other 1 ull have to go through the grill. 

Once they are loose you can lift the bonnet up abit more to get a screwdriver to release the catch.

Check the cable, and check it hasnt come off from the black plastic thats to the left of the bay!

Thanks for the info guys bonnet release on order today!

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:38:10 am »
I had a new bonnet catch and cable fitted in November, now mines broke again, but its the handle and bracket inside the car thats broke this time  :fighting:
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 10:42:36 am »

Will that work on a mk 4 golf as well?? My old mk4 golf has got a flat battery and the car is also delocked as it was broken into before. I need to get the bonnet open to charge the battery or get a new battery if it won't hold a charge

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 06:30:56 pm »
Fixed with new catch  :jumpmove: