Make a donation

Author Topic: Car not starting when cold or hot!!!! FIXED  (Read 2155 times)

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
Car not starting when cold or hot!!!! FIXED
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:30:19 pm »
I have a 2004 2.0 GT TDi Golf, I've owned it around two years and it has always had a bit of an issue starting quickly when the engine is very warm, more recently it developed a problem starting when the weather is very cold too. It was like the starter motor was sticking when cold and when warm it would just take longer to turn over before firing up. But it always started.

Very recently it stopped starting sometimes when either very cold or very warm. Unfortunately I have had an issue with the turbo and had many things changed while trying to rectify the problem, these included, glow plugs, injector seals, turbo, intercooler, starter motor (as I thought it was the starting issue) and a full flush and service.

It will start fine if bumped and I have noticed that when trying to start when cold it can lock the doors, turn on the alarm and turn on the A/C even if I have just turned it off before trying to start. I can also hear a relay clicking away. No faults are coming up but if I do try turning it over for long enough I get an oil pressure light come on and a workshop warning.

My mechanic is stumped and because it so intermittent its very hard to find the fault. Can someone help me, please!!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:56:40 pm by daboy3000 »

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Car not starting when cold or hot!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 03:22:45 pm »
Are you saying "no faults come up" when scanned with vcds?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 03:23:33 pm »
yeah, well nothing that could relate to this.  I think the is a brake sensor one, or something.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 03:46:01 pm »
I don't know but maybe try asking PDT on here for advice.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 09:46:16 am »
Started this morning even know this is the coldest one so far at 2 degs.  Still locked the doors though!!

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 12:09:17 pm »
I was wondering if your egr valve was sticking open and not allowing the engine to start. I had a similar problem on my 1.9td pd130 so I cleaned the valve and it worked fine after that.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 12:16:21 pm »
I was wondering if your egr valve was sticking open and not allowing the engine to start. I had a similar problem on my 1.9td pd130 so I cleaned the valve and it worked fine after that.

Had it replaced less than six months ago.

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 09:57:53 am »
Anyone?

Someone must have had an issue like this.  Could it be the battery?

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 10:28:57 am »
I have a 2004 2.0 GT TDi Golf, I've owned it around two years and it has always had a bit of an issue starting quickly when the engine is very warm, more recently it developed a problem starting when the weather is very cold too. It was like the starter motor was sticking when cold and when warm it would just take longer to turn over before firing up. But it always started.

Very recently it stopped starting sometimes when either very cold or very warm. Unfortunately I have had an issue with the turbo and had many things changed while trying to rectify the problem, these included, glow plugs, injector seals, turbo, intercooler, starter motor (as I thought it was the starting issue) and a full flush and service.

It will start fine if bumped and I have noticed that when trying to start when cold it can lock the doors, turn on the alarm and turn on the A/C even if I have just turned it off before trying to start. I can also hear a relay clicking away. No faults are coming up but if I do try turning it over for long enough I get an oil pressure light come on and a workshop warning.

My mechanic is stumped and because it so intermittent its very hard to find the fault. Can someone help me, please!!

That comment makes it sound like an electrical fault, but I would have thought that it would have shown a fault in VCDS if that was the case.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • MKV GT TDi
Re: Car not starting when cold or hot!!!! FIXED
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 05:56:52 pm »
New battery fixed it!!!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 06:09:39 pm »
Glad it was a simple fix

Offline Kemnaychris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 06:15:23 pm »
Hi mate when u first got ur issues was it when u drive say 20 to 30 miles stopped car then say nipped into shop then tried to start again it took 2 turn overs to start as my car has that issues :(
2005 blue gray 140 gt tdi

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 10:29:37 am »
Sorry to come back so late, kept forgetting to post.

Yes I had exactly the same issue with the hot start, would take a few times to turn over before it started.  I have changed the starter motor and battery and it so much better, might still take slightly longer to turn over when warm but not like it was, mine even stopped starting.