Make a donation

Author Topic: Aftermarket Entertainment System  (Read 8272 times)

Offline Shocker

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Aftermarket Entertainment System
« on: August 03, 2013, 02:31:01 pm »
Hello all!

I am an owner of a MK5 Golf 1.9tdi. I hope I have come to the correct place for some advice  :smiley:

So I have been contemplating the RNS 510 for a while but it is out of my budget. I have come across this unit on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290946442728?redirect=mobile

My question, does a MK6 unit not fit into the MK5? Are they of a different size? Has anyone in here bought the above item?

And most importantly, do you guys think this unit will fit a MK5 Golf?

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: Aftermarket Entertainment System
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 02:48:27 pm »
Yes, it will fit fine. Look at the RCD510 or RCD510 DAB if you want to keep it OEM and generally half the price of a RNS. Mk6 Headunits are the same as Mk5 ones.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 05:12:48 pm »
Buy one,get it fitted and post up a few pics and let us know what you think,certainly looks good.
60 day money back to  :happy2:

Offline sootpig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 05:39:45 pm »
RCD510 will do you just fine unless you need sat nav  check out "turbo_herbie" I made him a best offer of £200 when he was selling them for £290 He accepted 
 Sure someone on here sells the MDI and ipod lead for £100ish BARGAIN

Offline Shocker

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 10:33:48 am »
Thank you for your replies. I hadn't thought about the RCD 510. Looks like a better option for me as I really did want to stay OEM.

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 01:40:46 pm »
The one you listed from ebay looks good, the only thing you'll also have to bear in mind is that if it's coming from Hong Kong you may have to pay some import duties too.
I actually looked at that exact model too but decided to go for an Erisin 1019v which was from a UK warehouse (virtually identical spec to the one you've mentioned!)

Mine is supposed to be turning up at the end of this week so I'll try and post up some pictures when it's in and let you know what it's like.

55 plate GTI DSG / Revo remap / Miltek cat back exhaust / Evolution Motorsport Induction Kit / Sony XAV 62-BT head unit/ LED Rear numberplate lights

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 02:20:07 pm »
The one you listed from ebay looks good, the only thing you'll also have to bear in mind is that if it's coming from Hong Kong you may have to pay some import duties too.
I actually looked at that exact model too but decided to go for an Erisin 1019v which was from a UK warehouse (virtually identical spec to the one you've mentioned!)

Mine is supposed to be turning up at the end of this week so I'll try and post up some pictures when it's in and let you know what it's like.

Look forward to hearing your views.

Offline Nayo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 02:40:59 pm »
Looks spot on and very oem I don't see why u wouldn't go for it, thanks for this post I will definitely be trying 1 of these

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 03:04:31 pm »
Looks spot on and very oem I don't see why u wouldn't go for it, thanks for this post I will definitely be trying 1 of these

The main reason that was putting me off for a while was the unknown reliability of a brand I'd never heard of. 
For the money though I decided to give it a go and hopefully it'll do the job! From the few reviews I could find they do seem to be ok but only time will tell really.
55 plate GTI DSG / Revo remap / Miltek cat back exhaust / Evolution Motorsport Induction Kit / Sony XAV 62-BT head unit/ LED Rear numberplate lights

Offline Shocker

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 12:09:05 am »

I was initially looking at the Erisin to be fair. However, being the picky person I am, I wasn't happy with the microsd card, GPS card and USB port out on the faceplate. The eonon version of it had this hidden under the flap on bottom right. Otherwise I would already have bought the Erisin.

I do look forward to your pictures and review of the unit. Any tips for installation would be appreciated :)

Offline Shocker

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 12:59:33 am »

The main reason that was putting me off for a while was the unknown reliability of a brand I'd never heard of. 
For the money though I decided to give it a go and hopefully it'll do the job! From the few reviews I could find they do seem to be ok but only time will tell really.

Did you receive your unit?

Offline Palooza

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 01:08:43 am »

Did you receive your unit?

I'd be interested to know what one of these was like also

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 09:23:17 am »
Yep, unit turned up and was fitted yesterday (with some most helpful advice from Monte!)

Mine is an Erisin 1019v and I ordered it through the Erisin ebay page. Paid £217 including postage from the UK warehouse meaning that I didn't have to pay import fees, plus if I do get any problems with it I only need to send it back to the UK, rather than Hong Kong...
Obviously it's only been a day but I'll try and review it as best I can!

First off it does look good and looks very OEM. No need for additional facia surrounds or anything like that, it was literally a straight swap. Only lead that wasn't included was a lead for the radio aerial so I need to buy one as currently have no radio signal at all. Wouldn't bother me to be honest but it's my wifes car and she wants radio (and obvioulsy she always gets what she wants!  :scared:)
You can change the backlight of the buttons to match the dash which makes it look even more OEM, or alternatively you can change them to bright green or orange just to be different…  :laugh: There are 10 fixed colours I think, then the option to gradient so you end up with a choice of loads! Or you can just set it to random and the colours will just change every few seconds.

User interface isn't the most smooth and intuitive compared to what most people are now used to (Android/IOS etc) and the touch screen itself takes a bit of getting used to. Compared to recent smart phones and Ipads etc, it's obviously nowhere near as responsive and you need to really emphasise the movements but at this money it was never going to be Ipad smooth! It's kind of like the early smart phones. Definitely usable though and probably better than I actually expected for this price.

Sound wise, it's decent but I'd actually say the unit it replaced had better basic sound from a CD. I still need to spend a bit of time tweaking the bass/treble/loudness controls to get something that I'm completely happy with but it'll do for now. Again, for the money it was never going to rival a Kenwood/Pioneer but it's about the quality I expected.
Ipod sound quality is pretty poor to be honest. I’m not sure if it’s to do with the lead itself or the actual connector on the back. It’s kind of like an s-audio cable into the back of the unit so doesn’t hold in with any security. You can wiggle the lead in the socket quite easily and I’m guessing that’s what is contributing to the poor sound. It’s not unlistenable (in fact my wife won’t even notice the difference!) but to me it’s pretty poor and I wouldn’t be able to listen to it day in day out.
Having said that, the menu to use the actual Ipod is nice and easy to use. Doesn’t display the artwork though, instead just lists the artists and stuff. Only thing I couldn’t seem to get it to do was to play all the albums consecutively by a certain artist, I could only play one album at a time. Need to have a bit more of a play around with this though as I’m sure it’s user error!

Now on to the main reasons I bought it and the main features that set it apart from any known brand for the price!
Sat nav is actually really good. Choice of 3d or 2d maps, with POI and the real time movements on the map are very good. The ebay shop even included IGo maps for all of Western Europe on a 4gb micro SD card as a free gift (I sent them a cheeky mail asking for this!) so literally it was ready to go straight away.
You can’t enter on postcode, only address or co-ordinates but to be fair though the address is intuitive and comes up with suggestions (so when I typed in M-A-I-D it gave me a choice of Maidstone, and the same for my actual road. Entered the first couple of letters then it completed the rest for me) so it’s very easy to use.
Definitely very impressed with the sat nav at the moment.

The other feature I bought it for was the Bluetooth, and again I’m massively impressed with it. Easily sync’d my Galaxy S3 to it and downloaded the phonebook and call history (a lot of the other Erisin’s don’t have the phonebook download feature so make sure you get one that does)
It has an internal mic so no need to route additional wires or anything like that and the call quality is really good at both ends of the line. You can search for contacts really easily and the system is very quick to dial and stuff. Definitely really impressed with this.

There’s lots of features that I still haven’t had chance to use yet, such as aux/usb in, changing the background picture from one on my sd card and watching a DVD. There are also a couple of features that I won’t be using. It has internet capability but only with the addition of a WiFi or 3g adaptor which I couldn’t see the point of, plus it also has a TV tuner built in. Obviously though the UK has ceased to broadcast in analogue so this won’t work at all! There was a 1029v model which was identical only had a digital tv tuner built in but again I couldn’t see when we would realistically use that and decided not to spend the extra £20 odd quid for that model.

Oh and one other thing that I don’t seem to be able to turn off is the fact that every time I stick the car in reverse, the screen changes to a reversing camera option. I don’t have a reversing camera fitted so it means that the screen just goes blank and silences the music and sat nav! Again, I’m hoping that this is just user error on my part!

Overall I’m definitely impressed and happy with the purchase. The Bluetooth and Sat Nav are excellent and for the money, really do make this unit a bargain. Yep, I’ve sacrificed a little bit of actual sound quality but I’m more than happy with this trade off, given how good the Bluetooth and Sat Nav are.
Obviously another huge question will be around the reliability and I’ll just have to see how this goes.

I’ll try and add some photos up later as don’t seem to be able to do it from my work laptop...

If you have any other questions, just let me know!

Offline gianni_uk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 01:24:16 pm »
I just had a look at the unit you purchased, i agree it does look like OEM, very nice.

Im always concerned with brands I dont know, but they key things I would want is also the bluetooth and satnav so this looks like a potential purchase for me.

Review was really good!  Look forward to seeing the pics of how it looks installed.

Bit crap about the reversing issue, but hopefully thats an easy fix!

Offline jp19770

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • Support monkey
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 07:51:09 pm »
I am keen to see how it looks installed and how it is after living with it,

it does look a good alternative to the RNS for those on a tighter budget

JP