Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk7 R Build thread now up  (Read 243161 times)

Offline SurreyED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
Re: MC71's The "Red Mistress" - Update
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2014, 11:15:16 pm »
Recon you'll go stage 3 BT then mate? I don't know a lot about wmi however see it talked about on here quite a bit. 380bhp I've seen in threads, that'll do me just nicely  :evilgrin:
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline GunnerGibson

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2014, 11:25:23 pm »
 :evilgrin: Red devil.. nice vehcile son  :congrats:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #182 on: May 18, 2014, 12:03:18 am »
^^^^ Thanks.

Recon you'll go stage 3 BT then mate? I don't know a lot about wmi however see it talked about on here quite a bit. 380bhp I've seen in threads, that'll do me just nicely  :evilgrin:

No BT for me Jake, thought about very briefly when Hurdy sold his LOBA turbo but luckily he got shot of that quickly so temptation was gone, besides 2+ is enough for me.

As for WMI, its all about cooling as heats a killer for power plus it helps keep things clean (or cleaner) too. Loads of explanations on the interweb, main peeps mentioned are Devils own or AEM Performance Electronics. Kits are around £300 ish I think plus fitting which IIRC isn't cheap and takes SOME time.

:happy2:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:27:25 am by MC71 »

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline TommyR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 20
  • Black Edition 30
« Reply #183 on: May 18, 2014, 10:33:19 am »
Love the contrast of the red and black! As already mentioned coilovers will finish the outside perfectly :party:

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #184 on: May 18, 2014, 06:09:58 pm »
What happened with the BBS wheels? I liked them more than these TD's  :sad1:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #185 on: May 18, 2014, 06:17:54 pm »
Out of the 2 i much prefer the BBS wheels too.

The BBS wheels have been stored away. The TD's will become my winter wheels and the BBS my summer wheels (just wanted to put them on the car now  :innocent:). Only a few ££ to change the tyres over so I couldn't wait!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 07:57:23 pm by MC71 »

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #186 on: May 18, 2014, 06:18:56 pm »
Oh... than it's ok  :happy2:.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2014, 06:26:14 pm »
Love the TD's - would love a set! Car's looking great with these fitted - very jealous!
I know you say these are winters only, but once you get used to how the car handles / rides on these lightweights, I bet you will be rocking them all year!!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #188 on: May 18, 2014, 08:31:30 pm »
Love the TD's - would love a set! Car's looking great with these fitted - very jealous!
I know you say these are winters only, but once you get used to how the car handles / rides on these lightweights, I bet you will be rocking them all year!!

Is it a really big difference with lighter wheels?

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2014, 08:35:45 pm »
^^^^ Thanks.

Recon you'll go stage 3 BT then mate? I don't know a lot about wmi however see it talked about on here quite a bit. 380bhp I've seen in threads, that'll do me just nicely  :evilgrin:

No BT for me Jake, thought about very briefly when Hurdy sold his LOBA turbo but luckily he got shot of that quickly so temptation was gone, besides 2+ is enough for me.

As for WMI, its all about cooling as heats a killer for power plus it helps keep things clean (or cleaner) too. Loads of explanations on the interweb, main peeps mentioned are Devils own or AEM Performance Electronics. Kits are around £300 ish I think plus fitting which IIRC isn't cheap and takes SOME time.

Martin,I reckon u be on stg3 BT nextyear the latest :evilgrin:
I've looked into Wmi for my R in jan,it would cost around £800 minimum
Fitted & Setted up...

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2014, 09:27:05 pm »
Yeah I totally agree, Martin will be stage 3 by January latest  :P another turbo will pop up in the for sale or eBay lol. Wmi sounds good but isn't it also quite risky ? Weather was nice today Did you change the centre caps over today mate?
Jake

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2014, 11:26:07 pm »

Fanks Dave!  :drinking:

Not really driven the car yet to tell if the handling or/and ride has improved or changed., we shall see.

Is it a really big difference with lighter wheels?

OEM Pescara's are 12kg, my BBS VZ's are 11.3Kg and the TD 1.2's are 9kg. Along with the lighter Porsche Calipers its going to make a bit of a difference to the unstrung weight. Add some TT wishbones and alloy S3 hubs and it will make a real difference.

Note to self: Add TT wishbones and hubs to list!  :grin:

Martin,I reckon u be on stg3 BT nextyear the latest :evilgrin:
I've looked into Wmi for my R in jan,it would cost around £800 minimum
Fitted & Setted up...

Nah, happy with stage2+ Danny.  :innocent:

£800 for WMI sounds about right, I've heard around £1k for parts and install.

Yeah I totally agree, Martin will be stage 3 by January latest  :P another turbo will pop up in the for sale or eBay lol. Wmi sounds good but isn't it also quite risky ? Weather was nice today Did you change the centre caps over today mate?
Jake

WMI isn't risky, if anything it's a benefit with the lower intake temps etc. Only heard positive things about it and the benefit it brings. AFAIK the WMI kits have some kind of a fail safe fitted too.

Been at work all day so no chance to put the caps on. Will get around to it one day this week (maybe).

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:31:01 pm by MC71 »

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2014, 11:39:38 pm »
Maybe I read it wrong on a site, can't remember which  :sad1: like most things there's going to be good and bad reviews lol. Will look forward to seeing this one day and also reading your next updates  :happy2:

Jake

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
Re: MC71's Red Mistress
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2014, 03:34:08 pm »
Mini Update

First off.....

Thought I'd add a wee bit more air flow to the CAI so added some ducting via the fog grill which goes through to the right area where it's needed. Started off by buying a pair of cheap fog grills from eBay, a 80mm Air Inlet Ducting Funnel and some 500mm long x 80mm wide heat resistant Ducting from Ramair. I've no real idea if this will help (or hinder) so next time I go see Niki at R-Tech I'll get his opinion on this.

I cut the hole out and removed some of the honey cone effect pieces, glued the funnel in place and added the ducting. I've also painted the fog grills in gloss black (still need to apply a few layers of lacquer though), looks better IMO.....

And........

Hydro Dipping

I had a few other bits Hydro dipped that I had been meaning to do for ages. As always I sourced extra parts as I never like to use my OEM parts in case I ever decide to return the Mistress to standard. The interior parts were painted in the same Dark Grey paint as before followed by the Carbon Effect dip, the one used for these 3 parts was CF012.

I also had my spare set of Mirror casings dipped but in a slightly different Carbon Fibre effect that has a much deeper gloss applied, C/F dip used was CF05-DG. As before the mirrors need reprinting in a Dark Grey and then the C/F dip applied followed by the said Deep gloss lacquer. Still a marmite mod to some but the chav in me loves it, not the cheapest thing I've done either but the quality is incredible.

As with the original parts I had done i used Hydro-Graffix, they're based in Maidstone and the main man is Adrian.

Their site.......

~~ Clicky here ~~

The plain interior parts I sent off........

And returned along with the Mirror Caps.....

Interior parts fitted......

Mirrors.....

Heatshield

As the REVO intake I have doesn't come with a heatshield for the exhaust manifold (which bothered me) I bought one from Garage Midnight recently as I spotted one on their site. Same as the EVOMS one, just a wee bit cheaper, so a win win.

On their site....

~~ Clicky here ~~

Spayed it Matt Black with VHT paint so it doesn't stick out too much in the bay. Fitted, thanks to Si (Simon_2.0t), the man with the big socket!!  :notworthy: ......

Also bought a complete genuine .:R32 bum, few plans for this but that for a latter date!  :wink:

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:23:43 pm by MC71 »

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6gu3stc1vnvpc5qa0jss96uto1&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: MC71's The "Red Mistress" - Quick Update
« Reply #194 on: June 20, 2014, 03:43:05 pm »
Nice little air vent mod... i have thought about doing that a few times.  :happy2: