Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil pressure warning  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 18
Oil pressure warning
« on: January 07, 2014, 12:28:47 pm »
Right bit of advice needed please. Drove 9 miles two work yesterday and was running a little late so I got a bit of a wriggle on. As I pulled up to park on a slight slope and put it in to park the oil pressure light warning came on. I stopped the car and went in to work came back and checked the oil level and it was fine. Came home after work and the light did not come on. From looking on here there appear to be a few threads with different ideas. I will be looking to fix the car and will update this to the fault and hopefully put a guide on here. However if there is anyone with any suggestions then please feel free to chip in.

My first plan is to VCDS the car then test the engine pressure followed by removing the sump to check the oil strainer on the pick up. It only happened last night and only once but want to get to the cause of the problem.

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: Oil pressure warning
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 12:34:24 pm »
I think this guide would answer your problem

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,68442.0.html

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:34:40 pm »
That's the first job in the next few days and if it does not sort it will go on to the next jobs. Would have found that but I have not been able to get on to this forum for three days till this morning. Cheers bud

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 04:24:51 pm »
Bought bits to do the job tomorrow. New sump sealant, oil pick up, oil and filter. Any last pointers before I start.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 05:47:44 pm »
If it's really cold try to have some form of heating to help the sealant set in a realistic time and don't rush it.

Have few cleaning containers and suitable cloths etc to hand.

Offline Roadrebel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 06:22:24 pm »
Also the sump bolts nearest to the gearbox can be an arse. You need a 5mm ball-ended allen key to reach them properly.

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 07:36:49 pm »
Cheers guys. I have a electric heater so will roll the car in to the garage and heat both me and the car too. I have a selection of Halfords professional stuff so hope I have one to fit. Failing that I can use the mk4 r32 to get anything as I will be turfing that out of the garage to get the mk5 in.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 07:51:26 pm »
Having a heater won't help one bit as the sump (and the mating surfaces) are well out of reach of any heatgun or Halogen light.
If you put the sump on and tighten everything down and leave it an hour before putting any oil in, you'll be fine.

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 08:32:13 pm »
To be fair the heater is for me I just tried to sound more manly by justifying it for the car when really I just want to stop my gentlemen's region from falling off.

Offline S4nup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 08:44:02 pm »
Had the same issue last week, read the threads and prepared myself for the above job. Then someone at VW said the oil pressure switch is a well known issue. £12 and half an hour later issue resolved! Pressure switch is mounted horizontally to the right of the oil filter. 24mm deep socket does the trick!

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 09:45:57 pm »
Cheers guys. I have a electric heater so will roll the car in to the garage and heat both me and the car too. I have a selection of Halfords professional stuff so hope I have one to fit. Failing that I can use the mk4 r32 to get anything as I will be turfing that out of the garage to get the mk5 in.

Sometimes it's the simplest things which spoil a good job!

If it was me I would read the data sheet

http://www.devcon.com/prodfiles/pdfs/fam_tds_376.pdf

This product doesn't work if the room temperature is below 8 degrees Cel also look at point 9 in the data sheet.

Now yours may work in below or close to freezing but I would check.

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 09:58:39 pm »
Got the expensive stuff from VW for the job. Pretty sure it's the pick up as it only showed low pressure when I put my foot down and it would have been shifting more oil. Failing this I will look at sensors though cheers.

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Oil pressure warning. All fixed
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 12:23:42 pm »
Getting started. Cold morning. Just what I wanted

There are a few more bolts to undo than on the link above. Here for the turbo pipe two little torx bolts above

Here is another one as pointed out by the finger. Also you will see that there are three gearbox bolts that have to be removed also.

Once I exposed the pickup you can see it does have some build up on the filter. Not as much as the one on the above link but looking at the small aperture the oil has to go through it will make a difference.

Quick brew as nothing can be done without making time for a brew then back to it. Cleaned the sump up. Used a load of brake cleaner and a wire brush to remove years of carbon. Then doused it in brake cleaner again and wiped dry. Sealant from VW expensive but I wanted good stuff.

Bolted back on. Let is cure for an hour or so while I changed the oil filter, did a few other little jobs and cleaned up and of course a cup of tea. Then took it for a blast at a plod attracting speed and no oil pressure warning. Result.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:00:09 pm by Human Joist »

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 09:13:55 pm »
Quick update for this. It's been three months and no oil light since