Make a donation

Author Topic: Speaker Upgrade  (Read 7246 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Speaker Upgrade
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:13:16 pm »
Chaps,

The system in the Golf is not bad at all and I've now got the RNS-510 which is an ideal media centre for me.

I've got my Kenwood amp and JBL sub from my previous two cars sat in my bedroom and am umming and arring whether to fit it. If I can avoid the space + weight loss of a sub & amp, not forgetting the hassle of wiring etc then I'd like to. Also, I don't want to vibrate the GTI to hell and gone.

What's a decent upgrade so I've still got some solid low end bass and mid range too? I;m happy to spend the other side of £300 if the speakers will do the job well.
Would I just need front + rear speaker components or are there other items to be had (internal amps etc?) that will give me a nice upgraded setup?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 06:10:22 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
Re: Speaker Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 06:12:11 pm »
Anyone chaps?   :popcornsoda:

If I can't improve it too much without a sub for the low end/top end bass and an amp to control things properly then please let me know your opinions? :smiley:
Pete

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:17:25 pm »
I think focal components are good speakers for the mk5. I did have a look into them.

One thing to note is the stock speakers are poo with an amp and sub installed. The amp improves it alot but the stock speakers simply cannot handle it! I cant go over half way without the speakers being distorted! Admittedly just over half way shakes the car but with speakers added it would be miles better!
 :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 06:30:42 pm »
I remember you saying Ollie. I think I'm moving away from the sub + amp idea. It's a good system I've got and I spent loads on it but I don't demand massive bass anymore and I don't want all the panels in the GTI to be loose from the bass, as I live in a shat area for speed bumps and pot holes in Northants.

I bought some brand new Denon speakers for just £55 for my bedroom recently are they're spot on. The balance of bass, treble and sound is nice. Something like that for the car would be spot on really  :smiley: I just would rather go on a recommendation  :happy2:
Pete

cameluk

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 07:28:12 pm »
Have you eight or ten speakers at the moment, i.e do you have the mids in the front doors. If you do then the Focals are about the only thing that will fit, the only others that will fit are the Hertz ESK163L

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 08:02:58 pm »
Have you eight or ten speakers at the moment, i.e do you have the mids in the front doors. If you do then the Focals are about the only thing that will fit, the only others that will fit are the Hertz ESK163L

I've honestly no idea.
I've got the standard OE speaker system that I'm aware of and fitted the RNS-510 myself.

I think there's 8?...
Pete

Offline Gti Jal

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 10:21:25 pm »
You can get some 6.5" components off of the bay for a few sheckles. Fitting them is 2 hours.

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 11:02:12 pm »
Just fitted some Focal Polyglass 165 VR3's in the front doors of my Golf. Has made a massive difference to the sound (and all this is just off a standard MFD2 with no amp !)

Real good door thumping bass now.

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 11:35:44 pm »
I'm running Hertz speakers all round.

3 way comps up front, 2 way coax in the rear and a 10" sub in the wheel arch. The fronts and sub are powered by an Audison 4 way amp.

The sound is excellent and I can't think where I'd need any more bass. :happy2:

The stock system has 8 speakers and does without the tweeters up front. To make it a little easier on yourself (and a little cheaper) you could go for a 2 way component system up front instead.
Golf R gone.

cameluk

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 06:18:13 pm »
Just fitted some Focal Polyglass 165 VR3's in the front doors of my Golf. Has made a massive difference to the sound (and all this is just off a standard MFD2 with no amp !)

Real good door thumping bass now.

So you just replaced the speakers then? Anything else involved as I fancy upgrading mine but not sure I want to go to the hassle of installing an amp, I'm going to be taking my door panels off soon anyway, so can do two jobs at once  :happy2:

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 06:55:57 pm »
This is something i've had on the 'to-do' list for quite a while as my A3 came with a Bose system and i've always felt a bit let down by the stock GTi system,
Mine has the Soundpack option with 10 speaker set-up so ideally i'd need 3 ways up front i guess but been thinking about getting some quality 2 ways instead to save a few £'s and they must be better than the stock ones, anyone done the same that can offer any feedback?  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 11:10:37 am »
The first trhing I ould do is load up the car with sound deadening (e.g. dynamat or brownbread). The mk5 interior is made out of really cheap hard plastics (nowhere near as good as the mk4!) and once you crank up the volume, it rattles like crazy. Also, the general road noise is really loud on these cars so reducing that will make the standard speakers sound better anyway.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 03:10:38 pm »
The first trhing I ould do is load up the car with sound deadening (e.g. dynamat or brownbread). The mk5 interior is made out of really cheap hard plastics (nowhere near as good as the mk4!) and once you crank up the volume, it rattles like crazy. Also, the general road noise is really loud on these cars so reducing that will make the standard speakers sound better anyway.

Yeah, this is true and good in practice but I won't be ripping out any of the plastics or adding any sound dead panels. Not something I'd really be comfortable doing and I don't want to take out anything like that or replace it, purely so I can leave everything as OEM and untouched as poss if I can.

When I sell, I'll replace the OEM speakers if indeed I change them, again just for continuity and originality.

So Hertz components are the way to go? I'll do some Google'ing.
I might even get just a small sub to give a little punch if the built in woofers on the speakers are a little under powered for that?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:54:07 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

Offline plush-automotive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 03:43:11 pm »
I am a four master and supply hertz equipment if needed. I can't recomend them enough thats why i run audison/ hertz in my own cars.

You could add a skinz door pack behind the stock speaker when you change them over and 2 wave diffuser pads. This will enhance mid bass the more dead behind the speaker the more energy comes out the front of it.

I could quite happily put a package together for you matey  :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 08:05:40 pm »
Cheers Luke, will look at my options  :happy2:

Firstly, what size will I need?
How much can I expect to pay for a set of Hertz top end stuff?

What about these for example...
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hertz-hi-energy-hcx-165-4.html
Pete