Make a donation

Author Topic: Steering rack replacement  (Read 18430 times)

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 78
Steering rack replacement
« on: May 28, 2017, 01:01:59 am »
It's that time i guess

Power steering decided to die out on me today, have the dreaded steering torque sensor fault (G269)
No doubt I have a few questions before I attempt to tackle this.

Found a company "BBA-REMAN" doing reconditioned racks for £350+vat exchange offer with lifetime warranty, anyone used them before? Or anyone have other recommended places?
Read something about having to take it to VW to flash a steering curve after install....what's this about?

Is it a fairly easy job? I've replaced wishbones etc which needed dropping subframe a bit...so I'd like to think I am able to do a task like this but any heads up would be brilliant! Ta

Mij

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
Re: Steering rack replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 07:58:09 pm »
I had the exact same problem as you a few years back red light of death. Bought a new gen3 rack from these guys for about £400 but I also needed the newer wiring loom which was about £90 from Tps. As for getting the new rack flashed I haven't done mine as all is working fine and they wanted to charge me £170 for something that would take 10min to do. Easy enough to fit if you have a ramp. Hope this helps.

http://www.acspowersteering.co.uk

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 08:39:53 pm »
I had the exact same problem as you a few years back red light of death. Bought a new gen3 rack from these guys for about £400 but I also needed the newer wiring loom which was about £90 from Tps. As for getting the new rack flashed I haven't done mine as all is working fine and they wanted to charge me £170 for something that would take 10min to do. Easy enough to fit if you have a ramp. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply, appreciated
Yep was dreading this soon as I started hearing knocking.
Drove it back home without power steering and it drives so quietly without any knocking now lol but reminded me of the days of no power steering and trying to do 3 point turns lol

Couple of questions...
Did the rack come with new tie rods etc?
Gen3 rack is the mk6 one right? Is it a straight fit and compatible with the subframe
You wouldn't have the part number for the loom would you pal?
Ta

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 01:29:51 am »

Drove it back home without power steering and it drives so quietly without any knocking now lol but reminded me of the days of no power steering and trying to do 3 point turns lol

Couple of questions...
Gen3 rack is the mk6 one right? Is it a straight fit and compatible with the subframe
Ta
Yes mate the new rack came complete with new tie rods and track rod ends. The gen3 rack is the latest revision rack and is a straight fit except for needing the newer wiring loom and it uses one less bolt to bolt it to the subframe. Part number for the loom is 1K2 971 111 AJ

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 01:33:35 am »

Couple of questions...
Ta
Yes mate the new rack came complete with new tie rods and track rod ends. The gen3 rack is the latest revision rack and is a straight fit except for needing the newer wiring loom and it uses one less bolt to bolt it to the subframe. Part number for the loom is 1K2 971 111 AJ
Top man!
Found a rack on eBay, off a mk6 it says,
1K0909144E- would you know if this is a gen3?

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 02:11:23 am »
If it's off a mk6 then yes it will be mate

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 07:45:14 pm »
If it's off a mk6 then yes it will be mate
Thanks for that mate
Ordered a replacement from acs after your recommendation and a loom from tps, £295 and £96 down so far
Another question, as far as coding what will I need to do via vcds, I'll have to get someone to do it as I haven't got it so rather be properly equipped with the info

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 08:42:17 pm »
If I remember correctly the gen3 rack has a internal steering angle sensor which you need to disable in steering assist as there's another steering angle sensor on the steering column that it uses. Then do basic setting for steering angle in abs. Any problems give me a shout :happy2:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1J)_Brake_Electronics_(MK60)#Basic_Setting

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 01:40:22 pm »
If I remember correctly the gen3 rack has a internal steering angle sensor which you need to disable in steering assist as there's another steering angle sensor on the steering column that it uses. Then do basic setting for steering angle in abs. Any problems give me a shout :happy2:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1J)_Brake_Electronics_(MK60)#Basic_Setting
Thanks mate!

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 01:46:48 pm »
@RetroRaz

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 10:16:24 pm »
Gen3 Rack fitted with new loom. Steering feels lovely and no more knocking too which I was chasing.

@99hagued @RetroRaz

Tried to get the coding done today, the amber steering sign won't go out and can't clear the fault

Power steering works perfectly and steering wheel returns after turning.
Just the amber steering symbol won't go out

Basic setting done amongst other things(Raz knows the details lol), What needs to be done to disable the steering angle sensor in the rack or do we have to do something else?
Ta

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 10:44:24 pm »
Have you coded the Gen. 3 steering rack "G85" steering angle sensor to be off? 

Gen1-2 racks has seperate steering angle module at the steering wheel.
Gen3 rack has the steering angle sensor build in the rack.
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 12:15:43 am »
Have you coded the Gen. 3 steering rack "G85" steering angle sensor to be off? 

Gen1-2 racks has seperate steering angle module at the steering wheel.
Gen3 rack has the steering angle sensor build in the rack.
I've been told by 99hagued to disable it in channel 009...do you know what to click or code to disable it, a screen shot maybe of the page?...just so RetroRaz knows cos he's doing it for me and we couldn't figure it out....would appreciate very much sir

Offline SI-R32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 06:17:47 am »
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32