Make a donation

Author Topic: Is anyone interested in a group buy for custom sub enclosures? MK5 and MK6  (Read 5604 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
So as some know, I'm in the middle of an ICE install and I want to put the sub in a tidy custom enclosure. I've had quotes from £180-£250 for this but there are't exactly what I had in mind for design.

Then I came across this which holds a 10" sub

Its 0.66cu.ft internal which is 18.68l

The ways its shaped as well would still allow access to the spare tyre etc.

So how many (IF ANY) might be intersted this this?

List price is $250 / £165 and shipping for one is $50 / £33.

This is only the start of an idea at the moment although I have emailed them asking if they would consider it.

List of names below please if your interested.

HOW TO ADD A SUB

Just briefly on how to even add a sub as some seemed to be asking...

If you have an aftermarket head unit, 9 times out of 10 you will have pre out, low level outputs. These can be plugged straight into an amp of your choosing.

If you have an OEM VW head unit you will need either...

1. A line out converter (LOC).. This is a device that takes your amplified speaker outputs and turns them into low level pre outs that an amplifier can accept. They range from £15 on ebay to £150+.
Personally I've chosen to use a more expensive one that gives a good strong signal and that also gives a separate channel for a sub that can be controlled via a remote dial which can be hidden under the dash.

This is a cheap one
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/9631.html

This is the one i've chosen and fitted under my drivers seat.
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3867.html

With this remote dial.
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3868.html

If your only looking to run a sub and keep the cabin speakers oem and running from the head unit it you could look at the Audiocontrol LC2i which has less channels and is cheaper.

You will now have up to 3 pre out low level feeds so you could if you wanted run front and rear cabin speakers amplified and a sub amp.

2. The other option and probably easier is to get an amplifier that accepts a high level input straight from the head unit. I'm not going to go into a long list of possible amps but I know blaupunt did one and I know my JL HD600/4 also does this.

In this senario you would need to make up your own RCA cables from the speaker wires..(or you can probably buy them pre wired and just attach the speaker outputs to them.

Make sure 100% your amp accepts high level inputs though as if you plug hugh level inputs into an amp that ONLY takes low level... at best it will sound rubbish and at worst you will blow something.

Whichever of the above options you take.. once you are at the point that you have an amplified signal you then just need to run speaker wire to the boot for the sub speaker (if your also amping the front speakers then run wire into the doors or if your cheating run it back to behind the HU and splice back into the OEM loom.)

Hope that helps a bit for those who dont know..

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:51:37 am by jedi-knight83 »
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Is anyone interested in a little group buy for custom sub enclosures?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 09:51:37 am »
Bugger I'd have been on this if there was one for the 8P, but even if there was North America don't get the 3dr and the boot trims are different...

Good luck
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:00:15 am »
Maybe.... :popcornsoda:

Have you connected an amp to the RNS510 and upgraded the speakers yet mate?

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:26:48 am »
I could be tempted too

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:37:55 am »
Maybe.... :popcornsoda:

Have you connected an amp to the RNS510 and upgraded the speakers yet mate?

in the process.. car is in bits at the moment and still trying to work out how to get some bits of trim off  :fighting:
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline RedED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 03:43:15 pm »
Be interested to see what yours sounds like with the setup that you will have - std headunit with amp and upgraded speakers.

Then i'd take the sub.

What have you done for the amp - line out converters or something else?
Revo Stage2 - With Linear Throttle
Revo DSG
BCS Turboback Powervalve - This is a must.
ITG Closed Intake.. wooosh

Here to enjoy and help, with a hint of sarcasm, please do not be offended

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 11:46:50 pm »
Be interested to see what yours sounds like with the setup that you will have - std headunit with amp and upgraded speakers.

Then i'd take the sub.

I've got audiocontrol's LC2i with remote bass controller.

The LC2i gives a good strong clean pre out signal (much better than the cheap crappy inline ones)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 11:47:31 pm »
Oh.. price looking at £150 shipped to the UK (plus any import taxes)

Offline Dan.b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
I'd be interested.

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
How easy is it to connect an amp to a standard head unit, I only know how to do it off an aftermarket with the proper output plugs.

If we could get a definate price and If its easy enough I would be interested.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Apologies for hijacking your thread, but I see people asking the same questions.

Hey guys, if it helps, I am putting together a package for the Golf GTi / R32 to upgrade the factory speakers with amp and Audiocontrol (others available) line out converter unit. Give me a few days and I will have details and pricing. This would then allow you to wire up the sub too. I will be getting in touch with the mods for a GB on this too. The sub box would make life a lot easier to install the sub then.

I will be doing this to my Jetta over the next week, but going to forgo the sub for now.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline samdem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Apologies for hijacking your thread, but I see people asking the same questions.

Hey guys, if it helps, I am putting together a package for the Golf GTi / R32 to upgrade the factory speakers with amp and Audiocontrol (others available) line out converter unit. Give me a few days and I will have details and pricing. This would then allow you to wire up the sub too. I will be getting in touch with the mods for a GB on this too. The sub box would make life a lot easier to install the sub then.

I will be doing this to my Jetta over the next week, but going to forgo the sub for now.

im interested to hear more about this mate defiantly!!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You

No worry

I have the Audiocontrol LC2i and also a space LC6i. Great bits of kit and after lots of hunting and research these were the best option for keeping the factory headunit and volume and sound settings while getting a good pre out (gives up to 9v pre out)

Then im running a compact (but very powerful) D class amp under my passenger seat (JL HD600/4)

Back to the sub box. Good interest so I'll try to confirm lead times etc.

Offline RedED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 07:00:14 pm »
Then i'd take the sub.

The LC2i gives a good strong clean pre out signal (much better than the cheap crappy inline ones)

Thanks for the info, i was looking at a JL cleansweep but rare and costly, so this might be the solution, when are you looking for an answer for the group buy?
Revo Stage2 - With Linear Throttle
Revo DSG
BCS Turboback Powervalve - This is a must.
ITG Closed Intake.. wooosh

Here to enjoy and help, with a hint of sarcasm, please do not be offended

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 08:55:48 am »
Then i'd take the sub.

Thanks for the info, i was looking at a JL cleansweep but rare and costly, so this might be the solution, when are you looking for an answer for the group buy?

Soon as posible.

I should be getting answers to a few more of my questions today along with how long they will take to ship from the order being placed etc so would be good to then not have to wait weeks and weeks to get 10 people.

so far.... (please copy and paste and add your name from this point..)

fernando010 - r32oc
n692000 - r32oc
joedarka - mk5golfgti
reded30 - mk5golfgti
dan.b - mk5golfgti
nathangallo - mk5golfgti
dandav1985 - talkaudio