Make a donation

Author Topic: Getting to the speakers  (Read 7819 times)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Getting to the speakers
« on: June 14, 2009, 09:20:31 pm »
Can anyone tell me how to get to the speakers in the front and the rear of a 3 door? Pics would be even better if anyone has them.
Sort of had a little play to see if there were any obvious ways of removing the trim but couldn't see anything. Is it a case of removing the whole door trim?

Cheers peeps.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Re: Getting to the speakers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:33:22 pm »
Tumble weeds ahoy...................... :sad1:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 08:38:25 pm »
only person i can think of thats done speaker mods is HurdyAlthough his is a 5 door) perhaps Pm him to see if he can help Boothmeister  :happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:07:44 pm »
try pm plush-automotive on this site as he is doing a full install - sure his is a 3 door
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4771.0

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 01:13:07 am »
Here is the fronts. :smiley:

Golf R gone.

Offline plush-automotive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:56:52 am »
Hey mate i'll try and help.

The rear quarters
You need to take out the rear bench, the base lifts up with an almighty tug but before doing that remove the plastic isofix clips at the back these kind of pull up and twist.
you want to take out the kick strip that also runs along the front sill and into the rear quarter along the bottom again no screws just clipped down (it will feel like your going to break it pulling on it, but it'll release before it does)

The b pillar needs removing which remove the little airbag badge with a pic of small flat blade i found going from the bottom of the badge worked best.

Then in the hole there is a torx 20/25 i can't remeber off the top of my head,it's to early lol.

I removed this completly and took the b pillar of the seat belt but for this you will need a spline drive (like a torx but more splines lol)

Again i removed the rear seat belt with a spline drive to get this out of the way, I'm not totally sure this is essential but just makes life easier not battling with bits in the way.

Then if you drop the rear bench behind where the seat latch is theres a little plastic panel which you need to pop off and again there is 2  torx just there one direcetly in veiw and another one deeper in the whole, (if i rember correctly the one deeper in the hole is for the c pillar not the quarter)

Then you should be good to go. Again These are so well held on it will feel like your going to break the side of your car off, ( i know people who have trimmed the inserts inside the car because they can't pull these quarters off lmao)

This should give you something to go off if you get stuck on any part of it drop me a pm and i'll go take some pictures and try guide you through anything else you need.

Also if you need any help on the front doors still give me a shout mate. :happy2:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 05:13:10 pm »
Nice one!

I'll let you know if I get stuck.............which is likely! :laugh:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 01:49:53 pm »
Plush.

The video that Hurdy posted shows how to get the drivers door off which seems easier than getting to the back but it doesn't explain the passenger side? I imagine its the same apart from the bit where the window switch is is different and seems to be bolted on rather than just popping out? Can you tell me how to get it off?

Cheers.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 03:46:53 pm »
Well I managed to get the front door panel off pretty easily but..............thats when it got hard.

I'd heard that there was a possibility that the speakers might be riveted in place which they were. I considered drilling them out and using some self tapping screws to secure the new bass speaker in place but I'm not sure there's any point. The original speaker are mounted on an adapter thing that lifts them away from the door by a good inch. I can't imagine the originals are very deep but the one's I was going to put in are. I fear that without having some MDF adapters made they will be too deep and stop the window closing.
 Are the rear ones mounted in similar brackets on a three door and will they be riveted too?

Would somebody be able to confirm the correct sizes of the speakers in the front and the rear too as I'm not entirely convinced the ones I've had given will even fit? They are 6.5" I think.

In all probability it looks like I'll end up giving someone a bag of coins to fit a proper set instead. :sad:

Offline plush-automotive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 05:02:57 pm »
Yes the rears are riveted aswell onto a plastic baffle, if you need some rings spinning off mate give me a shout i could do them no worries for you.

Yes most people fit 16.5cm in these rainbow do a specific kit for the car with a bigger midbass, but if your not wanting to go down that route 16.5cmworks fine thats what hurdy should be runningwith his high energy's

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 10:20:02 pm »
Yup, I have 16.5cm Coax's in the rear. Only had a rubbermount for mine which wasn't too thick at all. I wonder if the Hertz ones are a slimmer fit?
Golf R gone.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 09:40:31 am »
Plush.

If you could make me some rings that will fit the front that would be amazing! How much would you want for your trouble and would you be able to post them out without them getting bust in the post? :happy2: