Make a donation

Author Topic: My Edition30  (Read 10826 times)

Offline Ron, Edition30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
My Edition30
« on: December 07, 2009, 08:32:23 pm »
Hi everyone, I've had an Edition30 since September 2007. It's a 3 door Reflex Silver with manual box and highline computer.
It's currently got 14k miles on the clock and is pretty much stock.

Ordered in May 2007, the car was manufactured in build week 28. It's an 08 model year set at the factory for long life
servicing but recoded for time and distance during the PDI.

Pescara alloys were factory fitted with Michelin Pilot Exalto2 tyres. Lasting well at 14k miles with 5mm front and 6mm rear.

The engine was run in according to the guidance in the book and oil usage was roughly 750ml during the first 7500 miles.
It's been run on a diet of Castrol Edge 5w30 and Shell VPower.

1st Service.
The service reminder came on after 12 months (5k miles). Due to the low milage, I wasn't overly concerned with going
beyond 12 months for the first service. It had the oil change service done at 7500 miles using Castrol Edge 5w30. Also
had the OEM air filter replaced.

Additions:

Edition30 Number Plaque:
Received my Edition30 Plaque No.1097 in the first batch sent out. Mounted it to the drivers door. Pic Below.

Headlight Bulbs:
Were replaced with Philips X-treme Power H7's and Blue Vision W5W's. A big improvement! Also changed the internal
bulbs as well, I prefer the clearer light in the interior. Interior Pic Below.

Full Size Spare Wheel:
Replaced the space saver spare wheel, sourced a Pescara alloy in good condition off ebay and fitted it with a Michellin
PE2 then got the boot parts to raise the floor level. Pic below.

Issues So Far:
So far (touch wood) nothing major. The rear outer tail light was letting water in. I replaced and fitted it myself as I
couldn't get the dealers to agree that it was a warranty issue. Pic below.

Also had a number plate light drop out because the plastic catch had broken off, £5 part, so I replaced it myself.

2nd Service:
At 24 months with 12k on the clock I had the second time & distance service done using Castrol Edge 5w30. Since the
first service I had added roughly 500ml of oil and since the second oil change I haven't yet added any.

Heres a few more pics...

Cheers,
Ron

Edition30 - Reflex Silver - 3door - Manual - Highline - RNS-510 - Unmodified - No.1097

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Re: My Edition30
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:35:14 pm »
Looking good Ron, and love the picture of the inside, great clarity.

:happy2: :happy2:

Offline Truckie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Formula Hot Laps
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:36:24 pm »
Very nice mate, looks stunning in silver, nice to see another 'stock' edition 30 on here too, was feeling lonely  :signLOL:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:37:37 pm »
Looking good Ron, and love the picture of the inside, great clarity.

:happy2: :happy2:

Good to have you on the site  :happy2:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:46:51 pm »
Welcome Ron :happy2:

A silver ED30 - the best combination  :innocent:
Golf R gone.

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 10:12:49 pm »
Loving the pictures Ron and good write up - is there a hint of blue in there - does the paint have this or is it just the lighting?
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:20:29 pm »
Looks a well looked after car :happy2:  Not really many silver ones about either, especially 3-door!

FOR SALE!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 10:29:34 pm »
Welcome along here ron! Your car looks stunning standard mate. How do you find the foam inserts work in the back with the boot carpet? I bought the two inserts but found they didn't fit the best so the carpets sagged a little around the sides

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 10:42:03 pm »
Welcome Ron  :happy2:

Offline Ron, Edition30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 12:25:38 am »
Thanks everyone.

is there a hint of blue in there - does the paint have this or is it just the lighting?

It does seem to look very different depending on the lighting.

How do you find the foam inserts work in the back with the boot carpet? I bought the two inserts but found they didn't fit the best so the carpets sagged a little around the sides

There appears to be different boot trim setups depending on whether you have a factory spacesaver or factory full size spare. There are part numbers for three different boot carpets. I'm guessing one of them will be reinforced all the way to the edges.

With a factory full size spare setup you will also have lower side trims in the boot to raise the luggage hooks above the higher floor. Also a different boot lip trim above the bumper. These all alllow for the foam inserts to also fit more securely into parts of the exposed boot bodywork.

Edition30 - Reflex Silver - 3door - Manual - Highline - RNS-510 - Unmodified - No.1097

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 10:08:53 am »
Welcome along Ron, car looks lovely  :drool: :drool:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 06:46:49 pm »
A do Ron Ron Ron a do like Ron Ron.  :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 01:40:40 pm »
Welcome Ron!  :drinking:

Vary nice motor you have there, if I had my time again I may well of had Silver!  :wink:

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 04:30:02 pm »

Headlight Bulbs:
Were replaced with Philips X-treme Power H7's and Blue Vision W5W's. A big improvement! Also changed the internal
bulbs as well, I prefer the clearer light in the interior. Interior Pic Below.

Which bulbs did you fit looks great - do you have a link ? Considered putting red ones in but this white light looks much better !!!

Lovely car mate !  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline Ron, Edition30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 05:30:33 pm »
Hi Garethmk1, the internal bulbs were replaced with Philips Blue Vision W5W's (5 watts) from powerbulbs.com.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_list.asp?cat1=37&cat2=77 Normally £10 a pair or free if you're buying other items.

Used seven on my 08 model year, one for each footwell, two for the front reading lights and three for the rear reading lights / center light.

The footwell bulbs were originaly W3W's (3 watts). I turned the brightness of the footwell lights down to 60% with the highine computer just in case they get a bit warm. The reading lights were originally W5W's so no issues with them.