Make a donation

Author Topic: VW Courtesy Car  (Read 8180 times)

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: VW Courtesy Car
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 09:46:34 am »
I avoid the whole courtesy car debacle by staying at the dealer while the car is done. I never leave the car 'with them' no matter how long they envisage the work will take.

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • DSG +..
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 10:06:49 am »
I'd go elsewhere to be honest if I were you - but I'd make a point of it with an audience I kicked off big style in Leeds VW once and then other customers who heard me joined in agreeing at how 'sheet' they are.. was very amusing.

Sounds really mature that :stupid:

I've always been more than happy with the service Huddersfield VW has given me. The policy of not giving under 21 year olds courtesy cars obviously exists for a reason, and yes I can imagine it could be inconvenient.

Regarding the point about a courtesy car being a 'privilege', well that's exactly what it is. Look the word courtesy up in a dictionary. Why exactly should a dealership supply a courtesy car to every Tom, Dick and Harry who is having a little bit of work done on their car?

1. I really don't think it's immature to stand your ground - In my experience you get nothing for not standing your ground. I had my 3rd service given for free when I complained - so many people say and do nothing and that's how garages perform worse and worse. In fact I had a 40 minute conversation with the dealer principal and he not only thanked me for all my suggestions he gave me his mobile and if I ever had any problems in the future give him a call, oh and like I said free 3rd service saving me at least £280.00. (Likewise if I receive good service I ALWAYS make a point of mentioning to a manager) - It works both ways. 

2. Slightly missing my point there - but maybe I made is difficult to understand. Basically I was trying to point out that for years and years the courtesy car was always an expected item (within main dealers) - if your car was going in for a day service you got your car and returned later in the day to pick your car up.
Nowadays (over the past 7/8 years) it seems that not only are you lucky to get a courtesy car you now have to even pay for one although I've not paid for one myself, because on the occasions they have offered me one I have refused to pay any charges - for which they drop - to be honest though I do like Greenouse does and wait on site until the jobs done.

Anyway as ever each to their own - but in my personal experience saying what you think in places that give pretty bad service normally results in them thanking you (if they have any decent managers on site).

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 10:52:27 am »
In your words, you "kicked off big style". I don't dispute that you should stand your ground, but there are other ways of doing it. When i see people acting like that I'm quite frankly embarrassed for them, regardless of their complaint. Standing your ground is one thing, kicking off "big style" is immature in my opinion. Problems can be resolved without the need to be rude.

Each to their own.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 10:59:08 am »
By the way, I agree with you about courtesy cars being an expected service in the past, especially within a main dealer network, but I imagine that the cost of providing them would be offset against the cost of the garage work.

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 11:13:28 am »
When I was looking for a new car in April I really liked the idea of a MK6 GTi in White. Off I went to the dealer where I had purchased my brand new Edition 30 twelve months earlier. I test drove a normal GTI at the garage before I decided on the Edition 30, there were no problems in doing this even though I was only 20 at the time!

When I asked for a test drive in the Mk6 GTI the snotty salesman looked at me as if I was having a laugh, you have gotta be 25 to drive these, they are very powerful you know, have you checked insurance premiums, it could be very expensive at your age he rambled on! I mentioned to him straight away that I had purchased a more powerful car from his dealership 12 months earlier! He would still not budge and expected me to buy the car without test drive! This really got my back up and completely put me off buying from the dealership!

On my way back from the said dealer I nipped in to Manchester Audi as S3's were high on my list aswell. As I walked in I was greeted very pleasantly and sat down in a nice big comfy chair and offered a drink whilst I waited for a salesman. The salesman came and he could not have been more polite! I expressed my interest in an S3 and he literally threw the keys at me, let's take a test drive he said. No questions were asked about age or anything which puzzled me, why is it not a problem to test drive an S3 which is a higher insurance group than a GTI but Volkswagen refused to let me anywhere near the MK6 even though I was a good customer! Anyways 30 mins after the test drive the deal was done and the S3 was mine. Audi 1, Volkswagen 0!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:15:07 am by T88OMM »
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 11:17:40 am »
With my old car, I usually hung around for the service since it didn't take all day (local mechanic). But with the GTI, for the first service, I wasn't able to take time off work so I had to use a courtesy car. I was meant to hand it back the same day but there was some kind of accident which meant there was no way I was gonna get back in time. They were happy for me to keep it overnight and return it the next day.

Compare this to a local VW garage where the service guy was rude, didn't appreciate the fact that I needed a car (ended up having to go via RAC breakdown courtesy car instead) for work, and I had to ring every day to find out my car wasn't being worked on for about six days! It was just a crap experience.

If others are telling you it's not a good dealer, listen to them and  go elsewhere.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 01:45:24 pm »
When I was looking for a new car in April I really liked the idea of a MK6 GTi in White. Off I went to the dealer where I had purchased my brand new Edition 30 twelve months earlier. I test drove a normal GTI at the garage before I decided on the Edition 30, there were no problems in doing this even though I was only 20 at the time!

When I asked for a test drive in the Mk6 GTI the snotty salesman looked at me as if I was having a laugh, you have gotta be 25 to drive these, they are very powerful you know, have you checked insurance premiums, it could be very expensive at your age he rambled on! I mentioned to him straight away that I had purchased a more powerful car from his dealership 12 months earlier! He would still not budge and expected me to buy the car without test drive! This really got my back up and completely put me off buying from the dealership!

On my way back from the said dealer I nipped in to Manchester Audi as S3's were high on my list aswell. As I walked in I was greeted very pleasantly and sat down in a nice big comfy chair and offered a drink whilst I waited for a salesman. The salesman came and he could not have been more polite! I expressed my interest in an S3 and he literally threw the keys at me, let's take a test drive he said. No questions were asked about age or anything which puzzled me, why is it not a problem to test drive an S3 which is a higher insurance group than a GTI but Volkswagen refused to let me anywhere near the MK6 even though I was a good customer! Anyways 30 mins after the test drive the deal was done and the S3 was mine. Audi 1, Volkswagen 0!

I had the same experience when I went in to buy an R32 aged 25. I got questioned on my age, insurance quotes etc. and then told that they didn't have any in the dealer group that matched the spec I wanted. I went to another dealer in the same group and they found me two!

FOR SALE!

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 02:01:30 pm »
@AndrewParker......

At 89 quid plus VAT per hour and 0% discount on all parts and oils the very least they should do is be falling over themselves to provide me with a car and find themselves a decent insurer.

The whole dealer service thing is a con anyway, we are all slaves to the "stamp in the book"........

If the sales department have ever sold a vehicle to a 17 year old then the service department should be able to provide a car when he/she brings it back loyally for servicing.

Its simply the lowest common denominator - saying 25's plus when they were happy to sell the car to the 18 year old the week before and indeed probably let him test drive it is just very poor customer service and being penny foolish

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 02:06:34 pm »
I think your all making assumptions that its about insurance.

I think they probably saw Ritchie's driving.   :P  :signLOL:

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • DSG +..
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 02:21:52 pm »
In your words, you "kicked off big style". I don't dispute that you should stand your ground, but there are other ways of doing it. When i see people acting like that I'm quite frankly embarrassed for them, regardless of their complaint. Standing your ground is one thing, kicking off "big style" is immature in my opinion. Problems can be resolved without the need to be rude.

Each to their own.

Well I take your point but having said that Kicked off big style maybe over egged my point (to me it was a way of [get your point across!] - I certainly kicked off but not I fear in the way my words have made you believe. I have never shouted (always best not to) I'm very used to dealing with people and I know that shouting gets you no where - I 'kicked off big style' (for me) is letting them know in no uncertain terms they have fecked and I want answers and the problem sorting asap - I will not be fobbed off with excuses. etc

Anyway - like you say each to their own  :smiley:

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • DSG +..
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 02:36:20 pm »

If the sales department have ever sold a vehicle to a 17 year old then the service department should be able to provide a car when he/she brings it back loyally for servicing.

Its simply the lowest common denominator - saying 25's plus when they were happy to sell the car to the 18 year old the week before and indeed probably let him test drive it is just very poor customer service and being penny foolish

I agree with that 100%.  Also (making an assumption here) but I think that under 25's are less likely to argue a case for a courtesy car whether it be an 'Insurance policy' or 'Dealer Policy'.  On the other hand people in their late 20's+ are more likely to question the lack of courtesy car, and then the dealer risks losing the client. So it seems to me that the rule/s are there to keep courtesy cars (so few there are!) available for the older clients. 

A prejudice indeed!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 03:18:04 pm »
I think your all making assumptions that its about insurance.

I think they probably saw Ritchie's driving.   :P  :signLOL:

thats awesome!!!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 03:18:48 pm »
@AndrewParker......

At 89 quid plus VAT per hour and 0% discount on all parts and oils the very least they should do is be falling over themselves to provide me with a car and find themselves a decent insurer.

amen to that!

Offline P10YRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 07:13:52 pm »
Rich this happend to me.. I had to swap my insurance over to there courtersey car..

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 12:42:22 pm »
I was chatting to a guy at work last night who turned 27 a few weeks ago.  He drives an 09 BMW Z4 coupe and his neighbour reversed into it.  He got a courtesy car through the neighbours insurance....a BMW 320 coupe automatic.  He had it for two days, decided he didn't like it so rang up saying his policy states he has like-for-like in the event of a claim.  They didn't have a like-for-like for him so asked him if he'd be happy with a 08 reg 3.4l Porsche Boxster :surprised:

FFS I get a 1.2 litre Polo off my insurance company and would be made up with the 320 coupe, but no, he has to go one better and get a feckin Porsche! :congrats:

FOR SALE!