Make a donation

Author Topic: What should i do?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline jimmy-s3

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
What should i do?
« on: December 29, 2009, 01:07:37 pm »
Ive had my car about 1 month now and things were fine. Now the rear suspension is creaking! Its fittted with a set of AP coilovers front and rear which seen fairly good quality. After looking for the cause of the creak, i noticed the previous owner has removed the rear height adjuster ( i think to make the car sit lower?) which i think has caused the rear shocker to wear out prematuraly on one side. Also on the same side, the bush on the bottom of that shocker has worn which i think is the cause of the creaking.
I have now replaced the rear suspension set up with the original VW items and adjusted the fronts to match the rear's height.
Now i cant live with the car as it is, as its far too heigh :sad1:
What should i do? The previous owner wont answer my calls or PM's so i cant find out where he bought them from. Im not sure wether to use the original GTI gas shocks on the rear with the AP lowereing springs or will they just wear out even quicker??

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
Re: What should i do?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 01:10:16 pm »
Sounds like he knows something if he wont answer calls!

Offline jimmy-s3

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:17:29 pm »
I know yeah, Id spoke to him a few weeks back to see if he still has the rear adjusters and he said he'd get back to me. Now he wont answer his phone.
I cant see why he doesnt just be honest and say he cant find them or he sold them and try and help me out finding a replacement set.
Id feel guilty if it was me!

Offline plush-automotive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 02:38:22 pm »
I have a brand new pair of eibach rear shocks if you are wanting to go aftermarket i have them for mine but havn't got round to fitting them yet, if it's going to get you out of some bother i don't mind passing these on to you and ordering myself another set in the new year.
 otherwise when i do fit them i have some stock gti ones (bump stops trimmed so the car would go lower on air) but your quite welcome to have a go with them instead of buying new ones nothing wrong with them as far as i know only reason i'm changing because i want to stiffen up the rear end to drive it lower on the air.

Offline jimmy-s3

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 04:47:49 pm »
Thanks for the offer!

I think i can get a new set of rear AP shocks for around £80 each.  But i think that seems a tad expensive for budget shocks? Im not sure wether to use my stock GTI shocks for now with the AP springs and see how that goes, but ive been told oil filled shocks are more likely to take more hammer than gas filled ones??? Obviously the AP ones are oil filled and have a shorter travel than the stock GTI gas filled ones?