All Things Mk5 > Members Rides

Mark O’T Reflex Silver MK5 GTI

<< < (7/14) > >>

Martk19871:
Quick update.

I got around to doing an oil change with new filter and sump plug as I’d covered around 6000 miles since the last.

I also finally got the number plate LEDs sorted,

My rear badge did have aluminium affect vinyl inserts but with the new bumper there was too much silver so I took them off and added carbon effect ones instead for a bit of contrast.

Finally, I removed the number plate surround, I think the number plate looks cleaner and sits better without it, so if anyone wants the pair let me know as you can have them.

Still umming and arring about whether to do a wiper delete…. go for style over function?

Martk19871:
I’ve ordered a number plate bracket off a guy on the GTI Facebook group to relocate my number plate so I can run a smooth grille.

In anticipation I ordered a new black smoothed grill from Ebay and also decided to try and smooth and colour code the one I have so I have 2 options.

I’ve done DIY painting jobs before which I’ve always been disappointed with as I tended to rush them, so this time I took my time, which involved a lot of sanding and waiting!

Sanded and holes filled

4x coats of primer, flashed for about 20mins between each

3x coats of reflex silver

4x clear coats and finished (for now)

I’m really happy with the outcome, tiny bit of overspray but going to leave it 2 weeks to cure and then rub the whole grille with a rubbing compound to try and get everything even.

r5gtt:
1500 wet and dry paper and then a good polish should see you right. keep it room temp amd you can do it in the next two days lol but your choice.

Martk19871:

--- Quote from: r5gtt on May 02, 2016, 08:36:14 pm ---1500 wet and dry paper and then a good polish should see you right. keep it room temp amd you can do it in the next two days lol but your choice.

--- End quote ---

I was thinking of doing that but read it can go bad easily, I don't want to ruin all the hard work, do you not have to compound after the final sand or is polish enough?

r5gtt:

--- Quote from: Martk19871 on May 02, 2016, 08:46:55 pm ---
--- Quote from: r5gtt on May 02, 2016, 08:36:14 pm ---1500 wet and dry paper and then a good polish should see you right. keep it room temp amd you can do it in the next two days lol but your choice.

--- End quote ---

I was thinking of doing that but read it can go bad easily, I don't want to ruin all the hard work, do you not have to compound after the final sand or is polish enough?

--- End quote ---
You should really use 1200 1500 then 200 grit paper and the a polish and that will be fine as ive done similar and it works but be gentle when sanding and don't force the paint drips off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version