Make a donation

Author Topic: Let's talk traffic lights - no really!  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Stevepd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 4
Let's talk traffic lights - no really!
« on: August 15, 2015, 04:27:51 pm »
So on my daily commute they've just installed a set of cross road traffic lights which allows 2 B roads now join the main A road. Nearly every morning in the 40 zone approaching the lights they will go to red, then for all of 2 seconds the go back to green. Can somebody shed some light on this........
Standard 5 Door Shadow blue.

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
Re: Let's talk traffic lights - no really!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 05:25:22 pm »
If they are new they may well be adjusted by the councils highway dept once they get a real idea of what traffic flow is like. 

Maybe worth an email to them asking them to look at it.

dansmith180

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 08:27:11 pm »
They have some traffic lights on the slough and Langley junctions of the M4, they're only in use when there's traffic (mostly rush hour) and as you said they only turn green for about 5-10 seconds tops. Its really f*cking annoying but I think its to make merging onto the road easier instead of having a sudden rush of cars or traffic jam in the slip road.

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 10:03:20 am »
So on my daily commute they've just installed a set of cross road traffic lights which allows 2 B roads now join the main A road. Nearly every morning in the 40 zone approaching the lights they will go to red, then for all of 2 seconds the go back to green. Can somebody shed some light on this........

There's a set in a town near me that do this.. they seem to do it when you approach the lights when a car is sitting at a red light at the perpendicular junction. My guess is that it's looking at input from the traffic sensors on top of the lights, and has worked out that the other has been waiting less than the maximum permitted 'red' time, so decides to let me through and changes back to green.

They're a lot less annoying than the 4-way junction where I live, which seems to turn the set you're approaching to red, and the other three sets to green, when you're the only car on the f***ing road!  :fighting:  :fighting:  :fighting:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 10:39:40 am »
There are some traffic lights in Newbury which do that. I swear they are put in just to slow traffic down, it's pretty annoying.
To reduce speed but just wastes fuel and pollution and annoys people.

Offline biffobear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 12:09:17 pm »
They have installed traffic lights on the main road through Newton, small village near South Queensferry, and no matter what time, day or night you approach them, they turn red, and I have never seen a car ever come out the side road.  :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

dansmith180

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 12:39:51 pm »
They have installed traffic lights on the main road through Newton, small village near South Queensferry, and no matter what time, day or night you approach them, they turn red, and I have never seen a car ever come out the side road.  :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

You know someone crashed there one time and they thought 'oh no that's a black spot let's chuck a traffic light in there so people stop crashing'

The have to over fix everything instead of accepting ocasionaly people crash into eachother.

Offline biffobear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 05:22:39 pm »

You know someone crashed there one time and they thought 'oh no that's a black spot let's chuck a traffic light in there so people stop crashing'

The have to over fix everything instead of accepting ocasionaly people crash into eachother.
when I was in the fire brigade, I lost count of the number of bad accidents I attended along the road from there at the junction at champany.

dansmith180

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 10:17:08 pm »

when I was in the fire brigade, I lost count of the number of bad accidents I attended along the road from there at the junction at champany.

Fair enough, mayeb they got that one right then  :ashamed:. I know of some that have been installed though for no apparent reason. At least when they do put them in the could work better though instead of leaving you sitting there like a twat.