Make a donation

Author Topic: Power Loss - Car doesn't feel the same  (Read 1273 times)

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
Power Loss - Car doesn't feel the same
« on: August 19, 2015, 12:08:15 pm »
Hi Guys,

I've done a few searches on this topic and still need a bit of help/guidance.

I have a 06 Plate GTI which is approaching 100k, but the car seems to lake power. It doesn't have that oomph anymore.

In the last year I have changed the Diverter Valve, PCV valve and CAM follower but only recently it feels a lack of power. I had the engine light come on a May and the car was lacking power. This was re-set and it seemed fine, but now it's the same again but no light coming on.

The car is due for a service and MOT in Sep and was wondering is it worth changing the DV and Cam again?

I've read some threads about loss of compression, or something to do with the exhaust (can't remember the part) which the garage told me about when it went in May.

I don't have VCDS, but just wondering what things I should look for?

Any tips/guidance much appreciated.
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Power Loss - Car doesn't feel the same
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 04:35:26 pm »
For what it costs to change the DV, that would be a good start. Revision G is the one to get.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 05:46:49 pm »
Best place to start is getting it on a rolling road and having some logs done to see if it actually is down on power, and if so what may be causing it.

My car felt down on power at 25k odd miles. Turned out it was a melted catalytic converter that was blocking exhaust flow. New exhaust and I felt like I had a new car!

Wouldn't bother too much with replacing parts that are 12 months old unless there is good reason to suspect they have failed.

Other thing to bear in mind is turbocharged cars do feel worse in hot conditions. I know summers in the UK are hardly blistering but may be the reason. If everything comes up normal then just wait until it gets cooler to see if things improve.

Good luck!
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 06:19:05 pm »
Thanks guys
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 07:29:08 pm »
Best place to start is getting it on a rolling road and having some logs done to see if it actually is down on power, and if so what may be causing it.

My car felt down on power at 25k odd miles. Turned out it was a melted catalytic converter that was blocking exhaust flow. New exhaust and I felt like I had a new car!

Wouldn't bother too much with replacing parts that are 12 months old unless there is good reason to suspect they have failed.

Other thing to bear in mind is turbocharged cars do feel worse in hot conditions. I know summers in the UK are hardly blistering but may be the reason. If everything comes up normal then just wait until it gets cooler to see if things improve.

Good luck!
Diverter valves can fail well within a year, and won't necessarily give a fault code.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 08:09:17 pm »

Good luck!
Diverter valves can fail well within a year, and won't necessarily give a fault code.

I'd be very surprised on a car that hasn't been remapped.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+