Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying a car with wing rust  (Read 1376 times)

Offline fatfrogger

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Buying a car with wing rust
« on: August 22, 2015, 10:13:20 pm »
Hello all,

I've been hunting around for car for the past couple of weeks with little success - anything half decent on paper seems to be sold by the time I ring.  I viewed a car at a trader the other day which seems decent enough but has a little bit of rust coming through on the front arches.  The car has done 105k miles, 5 door with leather, FSH and I can get it for a touch under £5k which is my budget.  Is it worth buying with a view to trying to get VW to fix the rust under warranty or should I look for something else ?  Prices seem to be all over the place so I'm not sure if what I'm paying is fair value or if I increase my budget I will find something with clean front wings.

Cheers.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Buying a car with wing rust
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:23:32 pm »
If the car is okay knock  money of the price to cover the cost of repair of the wings if you can't get them done under warranty

Offline Lyons

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 10:42:08 am »
I bought my 07 with slight bubbling on the front arches. I'd had them done in my previous 07 GTi so I was fairly confident they would be covered. Just make sure it hasn't been painted before.

Offline gti4eva

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 01:24:01 pm »
I would ask for a discount due to the front wings and off to vw under warranty. Happy days if they haven't been painted before

Offline Gmaster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 05:00:40 pm »
I brought mine with rust on the front arch, just get some money knocked off the price incase it's been sprayed before like mine had so not covered under warranty.
I got my repaired cost me £200 in the end.

Offline david25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 07:20:36 pm »
The official price is £500 per wing

Offline KernowGTI

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 10:45:21 pm »
My 05 with 50k was purchased with bubbling (bad) to both wings, VW are refusing to fix under warranty due to 'neglect' by the previous owner. Only one previous owner too!

Offline fruitmachinestu

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 06:32:14 pm »
i bought mine with bubbling on the arches about 6 months back. Got price dropped then found out about the rust warranty off this site.
Popped into vw old trafford and they replaced the wing and re painted for free. Right result.
My car is a cat c so i thought it would be an issue. But they sorted it no mither.

Offline fatfrogger

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 01:04:49 am »
Thanks all.

Went back to view the car again and only the drivers side wing had a little bit of rust coming through, the passenger side was all clear.  Bought the car anyway as he knocked off a few quid and I needed a car for the weekend :)