Make a donation

Author Topic: For Sale Section - Comments - Discuss  (Read 2340 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
For Sale Section - Comments - Discuss
« on: August 26, 2015, 08:34:50 am »
I was going to post this on the "My Dads ED30 For Sale" Advert but thought it would get more input on this section . I was one of the people who commented on the price but quantified my post by saying "people can ask what they want" . People also say "your car is too cheap" and i have done so in the past .... We , that do comment feel we are being helpful as there is one main reason and that is the purpose of an advert is to sell the item advertised?
Now going to an extreme , if a car was advertised at £20k would someone post it was overpriced ?
We are all MK5 enthusiasts and surely we can offer our input when someone is selling one ?
The reasons the OP has seen several at similar prices on Autotrader/Pistonheads is the answer to the question .... THEY ARE STILL FOR SALE !
The OP wants to sell his , i needed to sell mine (ED30 23k in April 2014) as i needed to get something that i could put a towbar on (didn't want to ruin the ED30 look) I looked on the internet , i looked on every site that sells cars , i monitored cars that had sold and pm'd sellers to ask the selling price so i could price my car correctly . I advertised mine for sale at £10k and sold in 2 weeks . If you ask the right price for something at the outset , you get the result quite quickly . I am older than most on here and would consider my input as a fatherly advice .
This issue (your car is too much money) has previously raised concerns and i would suggest that comments on For Sale adverts be restricted to just the seller . We could then PM the seller with our thoughts if we felt it necessary ..... So those that run the site should consider it , or give the poster of the advert a delete button for comments on their adverts ?

Discuss ?
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline olethalb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 31
  • My Ride: A4 DTM - TOURAN
Re: For Sale Section - Comments - Discuss
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 09:08:19 am »
i find if something is over priced (IMO) then the seller has 2 options if they want to make the sale -

reduce the price off their own back until it sells

play the waiting game until someone is willing to part with what may seem excessive amounts to buy the item

i do sometimes see for sale adverts and in a wierd way find it rude / cheeky someone is asking so much in an attempt to 'rip people off' but then remember if someone is stupid enough to pay over the odds then thats their own fault

(i haven't seen any mentioned for sale adverts this is just buying / selling in general)
Touran TFSI Quattro | stage 2+ BHZ | UK's first

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dj517p3od71bbs5h7s2jj86c22&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 11:00:52 am »
People do seem to get upset with other commenting on their prices, IMO its a good thing our members know these cars inside out. If i was selling something to cheap or expensive i would appreciate the input of other members.

Some members really want a quick sale and do what ever it takes dropping the price removing parts etc.

Regarding restricting posts and op being able to delete them. This will not happen. Maybe a member has some relevant background history on the car/seller.

If the comments are out of order please let me or one of the moderators know and we will remove them.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:40:51 am »
The seller can lock his own thread if he doesn't want comments on it and make it pm only

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 11:55:34 am »
The seller can lock his own thread if he doesn't want comments on it and make it pm only

I forgot to mention that bit , which i knew . If you have left your advert open for discussion then ..... Well you know what i'm going to say .
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dj517p3od71bbs5h7s2jj86c22&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 12:00:16 pm »
I forgot about that. Don't really like locked FS posts. There are a lot of dodgy people out there and we get them on here from time to time.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 12:05:47 pm »
I forgot about that. Don't really like locked FS posts. There are a lot of dodgy people out there and we get them on here from time to time.

We have been lucky to have good members on here as it doesn't happen to often  :happy2:

Offline biffobear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 07:05:59 pm »
When I read for sale posts, I get annoyed, either if, its too expensive, or too cheap, occassionally it annoys me that much, I will comment on the price. I only do it to help the person get what I think is a fair price. Funnilly enough I had not read the for sale posts for a while, and stumbled on yours, my first thoughts were," your having a laugh mate", you can buy decent mk6,s now for that price.when I read the ad, and looked at the pictures,I thought, if I was really intent on getting the best ed30 possible to keep for many years, I really would consider buying this car, well I would have to haggle it down at least a grand first, and I am sure the seller would come and go a bit.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 10:46:55 pm »
On the whole I find the comments useful, you do get people putting up adverts for parts and someone will comment that it's cheaper on such and such a website and post a link, which is helpful to everyone but the seller, and so the price usually comes down - but hey we all like hotukdeal sites etc.

I guess when it comes to cars people are a little more 'prickly' regarding pricing. I for one aren't too bothered by that, I'm more likely to comment or get worked up when I see a poor car advert; it makes me suspicious when a seller leaves out really relevant info e.g cam belt change, DSG service, number of owners, Cat D this and that - but is keen to inform that it's always run on shell v power, or that it's been washed and polished every week.

Then you get some adverts offering to answer any questions, but then get all arsey if someone raises the question about a cam belt change or a service is due. In all honesty when I see an ad that suggests the car wants for nothing, but it's obvious it needs the wheels refurbing or it's got a couple of dings in the bodywork - I move swiftly on to the next ad :stupid:

I don't think garrardrj is trying to be challenging when he seeks to clarify such a key point, i.e. when was the last DSG service, he's been around this site a good few years, like a lot of people, and has increased his knowledge base as a result, nevertheless, new members or visitors may not have that knowledge and no one on here likes to hear of somebody getting their pants pulled down :booty: and taken for a ride.

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy