Make a donation

Author Topic: Vw Polo Gti TSI - Trying my luck with VW  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Haz911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Vw Polo Gti TSI - Trying my luck with VW
« on: October 19, 2015, 12:46:32 pm »
Good Afternoon!

Ok so I know it's not a Golf but some of you may be able to help or be interested in this....

My Mrs bought a 2011 VW Polo Gti 1.4 TSI DSG back in February and it was perfect, she loves it.

Now, 2 months in and the oil light flashed up so I gave it a full oil change and then a further month later it come on again, I changed it again but to Millers Nanodrive and it seemed to last a bit longer but still the oil light comes on every now and again.
I plugged it into VCDS and got a misfire code on 2 cylinders (Car was running fine) to which I whipped the plugs out and were absolutely destroyed, running lean was an understatement! Changed the plugs and cleared the code to which it stayed off and has now come back about 2 weeks ago.

Another problem, 10 days ago the coolant light flashed up, topped up with coolant and 3 days later is was on again, topped up again and lasted 5 days and now on again, no oil in the coolant bottle, no mayo type stuff on oil cap but there was a tiny water droplet on dipstick when I pulled it out.
We have worked it out and its using approximately 1.5 - 2 ltrs every 1000 miles.

The car has done 33,800 miles and was registered in Feb 2011 (8 months over the 5 year warranty period?) but still only 33k on the clock surely these types of problems shouldn't be occurring?
Fair enough the plugs may have needed changing but the oil consumption and use of water?

I have called VW today and explained everything, they have asked us to take it in for diagnostics at cost of £49.99 so they can review what the problems are, I have made it clear from the outset I wasn't happy and will discuss the options with them after the diagnosis on Wednesday.

Any one have any tips or suggestions on this?

Will let you know the outcome on Wednesday evening

Cheers
Harry
2007 Tornado Red 3dr Edition 30 - Stage 1
1998 Polo 6n 1.8 20vt - 262 bhp

Offline schmidt_vr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: Vw Polo Gti TSI - Trying my luck with VW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 03:01:45 pm »
The 1.4 TSI Engines are crap. Have a look on the internet. Theres problems pasted all over regarding the 1.4 TSI Engine.

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?266474-2012-Polo-GTI-1-4-TSI-PROBLEMS

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 03:08:35 pm »
That a shame..

You buy a newish car expecting it to be problem free!!

The Oil light can also appear if the oil pick pipe is blocked. you can find this if you take off the sump but at the 33k mileage I would expect it to be clogged up already, but I guess you never know.

Offline Haz911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 12:22:19 pm »
Cheers for the replies guys! Yeah this is a later one so I thought it might be a bit better than the earlier models but obviously not  :sad1:

I did some investigation myself and actually found the source of the water leak, the radiator seems to be leaking slowly (After only doing 33k) so I will be replacing that asap!

The oil on the dipstick level actually shows basically empty when the light comes on so not sure it could be the pickup but I will check that anyhow.

Dropped it off to VW this morning so will report back later with their findings :)
2007 Tornado Red 3dr Edition 30 - Stage 1
1998 Polo 6n 1.8 20vt - 262 bhp