Make a donation

Author Topic: OPS via canbus  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
OPS via canbus
« on: September 14, 2015, 01:36:44 pm »
Hey guys

Do you know if OPS is available via the Mk5 canbus as it was in the mk6? I.e. if I were to fit a radio with the radar display, would this work?

It's a 2007 model, which i believe has a different canbus version?

Thanks
Matt

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: OPS via canbus
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 02:20:13 pm »
At least since the L revision CAN Gateways are compatible with OPS sensors. You'll need to replace all the sensors and fit a new sensors ECU of the mk6 generation. Carsystems.pl sells the full kit (rear, front, front and rear).

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 03:43:24 pm »
Thanks Shoduchi

So as I suspected the standard sensors on the mk5 do not feedback to the canbus? Only the newer versions do?

Cheers

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 04:07:28 pm »
I think the Can Bus is the least of your problems. The mk5 sensors shouldn't have the technology required to work with the OPS ECU. You need to upgrade the whole system. I have both my Golfs with OPS front and rear, by the way. :wink:

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 05:20:00 pm »
I think the Can Bus is the least of your problems. The mk5 sensors shouldn't have the technology required to work with the OPS ECU. You need to upgrade the whole system. I have both my Golfs with OPS front and rear, by the way. :wink:
who said so? It's a lie. OEM parctronics works fine with OPS, only "OEM" cobra ones, don't work.
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 05:37:31 pm »
who said so? It's a lie. OEM parctronics works fine with OPS, only "OEM" cobra ones, don't work.
Are you saying that mk5 sensors work just as fine as the mk6's sensors with the OPS ECU that show the graphics in the RNS/RCD-510? The OEM sensors are Bosch and their shape is different. IIRC connectors and loom are different.

I'm just selling the story as I was told by my friend who fitted the sensors. :confused:

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 07:20:40 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. To clarify, the unit inside the boot is Bosch and the sensors look as follows

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 07:45:22 pm »
I got the rear OPS kit from China for £85 odd. I have the sensors fitted and painted but haven't had a chance to get the wiring installed yet. Everything is there though.

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 07:52:18 pm »
Think the answer can be found here, looks like as Shoduchi suggested only the OEM mk6 Valeo ones will work; http://www.r32oc.com/topic/22301-optical-rear-park/page__st__30

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 08:07:25 pm »

potentially this may be true as its the parking ecu that sends the signal to the can bus for the stereo to display.
so vw may have introduced a parking ecu made by bosch that's compatible with old sensors but ops connects to the powertrain can bus and not the convenience can bus which the mk5 has as standard.

its just sometimes easier to fit the Valeo sets which will work no problem for people without sensors

with regard to original post, 1 your oem wiring is connected to wrong can bus for ops
2 I don't know of a bosch parking ecu that supports ops
3 changing to valeo sensors isn't a 5 min job as your sensor holders being OEM will be plastic glued to the bumper not necessarily stuck with double sided foam like they should be, the bosch holders don't hold the valeo sensors you'll have to change them.
quick cost for the job say 200 with the kit
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 08:44:37 pm »
Hi Si

Thanks for the detailed response  :happy2:

Sounds a lot of work to retrofit! Was only interested as many of the aftermarket stereos boast this functionality along with other features. As you say, this must be down to the difference in canbus on the 5 vs 6.

Cheers