Make a donation

Author Topic: In the market for a Golf GTI  (Read 8220 times)

Offline GTI-Sam

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Re: In the market for a Golf GTI
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 12:22:30 am »
Hi people! Just thought I'd give a quick update. First off thanks for all the heads up about checking the car and what to look for. I went to see the gti on Friday and ended up leaving a deposit for it. Car seems pretty well looked after and is very well specced which am chuffed about! Also in really good condition for a 2005 model. Although the monzas could do with a refurb as they are kerbed here and there, but then that's a whole different story. I called vw beforehand to confirm it has had services carried out, coil pack recall and wings replaced and that's all confirmed. Should pick her up in a couple of week or so. Really looking forward to it, I must say they are quite tickety when on idle but I guess we just got to live with that. Car doesn't have the service book but tonnes paperwork and invoices from vw, including all mot's as well. What do u reckon does that matter?

Offline Ricky123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98436.0.html
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 12:41:47 am »
I'd be more than happy to buy it without the service book if has the VW invoices and others present.

I'd rather seem them over a stamp in the book any day  :happy2:
56 mk5 ed30 3dr
57 mk5 1.9 TDi match
22 a3 s-line competition 45 tfsiE
09 Suzuki GSXR 1000 (road going track sl*g)

Offline GTI-Sam

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 02:03:27 pm »
Ahh that's a relief then! And I guess I can always try and get in touch with previous owner or ask who I'm buying it from to check if the last owner has it somewhere. I have some plans for the car but first off just want to make sure she's all good and running right. One thing that's kinda bugging me is I think it's only had 1 dsg service at 67k! It's now on 89k.  :scared:

But having said that it is driving all okay, smooth changes and everything.

Offline Ricky123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 03:12:09 pm »
Just make the dsg service one of the first things on your to do list if your concerned. I'm not clued up at all on the dsg box so I'm unsure on the service intervals.

As for the service book, If you have the invoices for the past VW services that have been carried out then buy a duplicate book from VW and caller the dealer and have them stamp the new book up. I'm not sure if you have to send it to that specific dealer or if you can go to another branch with the proof?

I no you can do something along those line though.
56 mk5 ed30 3dr
57 mk5 1.9 TDi match

Offline GTI-Sam

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 03:27:13 pm »
Yeah I suppose I could do that. I think the interval is every 40k, so if it's only had one that is alarming but am hoping for the best and your right I'll get it done again for peace of mind. Also I'll look through the paperwork again to make sure!

Yeah I read something along those lines as well, so I guess that's another route I can go down. Any idea how much a duplicate would cost? I'll call my local vw sometime and see if they'll be willing to stamp one for me. Cheers Ricky123!

Offline Ricky123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2015, 03:42:19 pm »
This is a complete guess but I can't imagine it being anymore than £20. I had the same problem with an Astra vxr I owned a year or so ago. The dealer would stamp the book for free aslong as I bought the book from them.

Sure other members can she's more light on this but I no it's possible to get new book and have it stamped anyway.
56 mk5 ed30 3dr
57 mk5 1.9 TDi match

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 03:39:20 pm »
Hi Sam, is there paperwork for the cam belt and water pump change? The first change on mine they only did the belt but I asked for both before I bought the second time around. As mentioned check the DSG paperwork too. Look forward to the pics.

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 03:47:50 pm »
I know this isnt particularly on-topic but with a cars mileage being intrinsically linked to its "value/price" I would love to know how many 2 year 11 month old cars are having their mileage "adjusted" just before the first MOT? I bet there will be some interesting MK7 R's appearing on the market in a couple of years that have had SUBSTANTIAL haircuts!

So then the mileage would then not fit the servicing invoices which means a great deal more than the mileage ! Why just MK7 R's ?
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Ricky123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 05:26:06 pm »
I know this isnt particularly on-topic but with a cars mileage being intrinsically linked to its "value/price" I would love to know how many 2 year 11 month old cars are having their mileage "adjusted" just before the first MOT? I bet there will be some interesting MK7 R's appearing on the market in a couple of years that have had SUBSTANTIAL haircuts!

So then the mileage would then not fit the servicing invoices which means a great deal more than the mileage ! Why just MK7 R's ?

I don't think he means just mk7 r's it was an example and no servicing wouldn't match up but anyone who's willing to fiddle with mileage will probably be happy to scan, edit and print invoices?

It's just a thing to look into as best you can when buying a car.
56 mk5 ed30 3dr
57 mk5 1.9 TDi match

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 07:30:13 pm »

I don't think he means just mk7 r's it was an example and no servicing wouldn't match up but anyone who's willing to fiddle with mileage will probably be happy to scan, edit and print invoices?

So someone paying over £35k for a car would fiddle the mileage to boost their sale price  :grin:

Offline Ricky123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 07:51:19 pm »

So someone paying over £35k for a car would fiddle the mileage to boost their sale price  :grin:

You never no.... It's easy for anyone to clock up many miles in there first years before any mot is due then give it a hair cut before the mileage is logged anywhere.

They could chop mileage before every service at the dealer within that time to make it even more genuine?

It could be purchased under HP or however they do it these days with a set mileage allowance for each year which could make someone look into doing something like in the first place.

Moral of the story is that It's just worth checking everything you can when it comes to buying a car as its to easy to get bitten these days.
56 mk5 ed30 3dr
57 mk5 1.9 TDi match

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 08:21:17 pm »
The reason I cited 7R's specifically was down to the volume of them bought relatively cheaply under very restricted (sub 5k per annum) limited mileage hire purchase policies!

The penalties per mile on the agreed valuation are pretty high and could net the unscrupulous seller several thousands of pounds if the vehicles had their mileage adjusted before it was recorded electronically via the MoT

Although I am sure this kind of practice is fairly common on other high value motors where a vehicles value is judged primarily through its mileage instead of condition

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 09:03:27 pm »
The reason I cited 7R's specifically was down to the volume of them bought relatively cheaply under very restricted (sub 5k per annum) limited mileage hire purchase policies!

The penalties per mile on the agreed valuation are pretty high and could net the unscrupulous seller several thousands of pounds if the vehicles had their mileage adjusted before it was recorded electronically via the MoT

Although I am sure this kind of practice is fairly common on other high value motors where a vehicles value is judged primarily through its mileage instead of condition

Fairly common ?

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 10:05:36 pm »
Fairly common ?

I would say much more common than people realise considering the popularity and success of the companies offering such services!

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 10:13:38 am »
Fairly common ?

I would say much more common than people realise considering the popularity and success of the companies offering such services!

The mileage adjustment of digital odometers occurs on lower valued cars vastly more than higher valued ones . That where the evidence points . Anyone buying a car worth more than £10k and doesn't check the provenance of the invoices with the businesses named on the invoices is being rather foolish ..... The same people would check £20 notes (to see if they are genuine) if they sold an ipad for £180 !