Make a donation

Author Topic: Need a bit louder  (Read 3165 times)

Offline PhilNUK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Need a bit louder
« on: August 28, 2015, 10:29:36 pm »
I had a non resonated milltek cat back exhaust fitted to my ed 30 last week and was curious how it sounded to a pedestrian...  I wasn't after a loud noise..  Just a nice rumbley sound and a scream when foot put down..  I got a mate to drive it up the road for me.  He didn't put foot down but just pulled away and accelerated a bit.  I couldn't tell much difference between it now and when it was standard to be honest.  I can't imagine a resonated one being any different at all to standard if this is the tiny difference with the non resonated one

If I get an aftermarket downpipe would that help? Could I keep the cat and just get a downpipe or will the downpipe mean I need to remove the cat?

Offline hlcst

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
Re: Need a bit louder
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 10:01:29 am »
Have you considered pre cat delete?

Offline PhilNUK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 01:41:29 pm »
Have heard it mentioned. 
What would it involve? I was looking at downpipes.  Then induction kits. 

Just disappointed how quiet the cat back non resonated is on its own to be honest.  Also worry that I might go too far the other way and go too loud.

At what point does it become an MOT fail too? I don't want to need to worry about that.  If I remove the cat is it a fail?

Offline hlcst

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 02:01:02 pm »
If you search google you will find all you need to know, there's even a few videos around so you can hear the sound difference.
Have a look at this http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=50283.0 basically it's just removing the cat from the car and bashing out the pre cat material

If you decat then you will have an mot failure that's why lots of people choose a high flow sport cat

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 03:24:27 pm »
Should have got your mate to put his foot down! I found it's louder under load, and near standard when not...

This is the first time I've heard of a non res being too quiet - I've heard of people changing out the rear system for a resonated system and being disappointed. For sure the car is very quiet as standard - I thought the non-res system gave a bit of voice to mine and made the exhaust note a bit deeper without being intrusive.
I think when I fit my Miltek DP I will change the rear to resonated as otherwise it will be a bit too loud to be discrete.

Still, it varies person to person. I saw a Revo demonstrator ED30 at Donington which must had had a full system as it bellowed in a very deep way went it went past the pits, but in comparison mine is a bit deeper sounding than standard although a bit muted without a DP.

As said before - some people have knocked out the pre-cat material to make a bit more sound without changing the downpipe.

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 04:22:13 pm »
If you want loud go for a full EuroJet system
They are mental

:driver:

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline PhilNUK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 08:21:09 pm »
Cheers for the replies guys....  Really good stuff.  The removing the pre cat is definitely an option.  Will get that done for sure.

Don't get me wrong on the milltek...  I am pleased and aint too fussed about daft noise..  I just want a nice rumble....  At idle the milltek sounds very quiet and just driving about a city it does sound deeper in the car but when listening to it when my mate drove about it sounded very quiet. Made me question if I was given a resonated one by mistake

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 08:52:06 pm »
Agreed - the car does sound quiet at idle - my old mkiv (with full turbo back from the TT/S3/Cupra R turbo conversion) used to have a lovely turbo burble at idle.
The mk5 doesn't at all - just sounds diesely, but I'll forgive it due to the way it goes and drives  :evilgrin:

Easy way to check if non-res / res - have a look underneath - if you have a box near your passenger side rear wheel, then you have a resonated system. If just a straight through pipe, then it's non-res  :smiley:

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline PhilNUK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 09:22:09 pm »
Cool will have a look.  I know the pipe I got with it was a straight pipe.