Make a donation

Author Topic: 12v power outlet from permanent live, to ignition active for dash cam (2005 GTI)  (Read 1548 times)

Offline imcre8tive

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
I have bought a new 2ch dash cam that I have set all the wires in the trim and run the power to the boot 12v outlet for the power. I am reluctant to hard wiring into the fuse board as it means stripping the plug and adding it to another fused outlet somewhere, where as I would prefer to have a plug and play option, in case I dont want the cam on, or I move it into another car.

I have noticed since installing the cam that both the front ciggie lighter socket and boot 12v outlet are both wired as perm live, which means that the camera has to be manually started and stopped every time, plus unplugged when I leave the car, so I dont drain the battery. It also means I have to unplug the phone charger each time as the led drains power (although very small, but visible from outside the car)

I understand that 2006 mk5 and mk6 onwards are now wired as ignition live and not perm live.

I have seen on one forum that there's a way to switch the fuse to a different port in the mk6 by moving a fuse from a shared port to a twin blade socket. I cant see anywhere after hours of searching, for a way to change the sockets to allow this on the mk5.

I will add a photo of my fuse set up if this assists in which one I need to move where if its possible.

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Offline imcre8tive

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Went for add a fuse in the end