Make a donation

Author Topic: Being charged for 'cambelt noise' warranty work on the '30?? Now sorted!  (Read 21119 times)

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
Would replacing the belt and tensioner be easy enough for an indy garage?

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
thread revival ...

40k miles, got mine done under warranty too today  :happy2:
had to pay for the waterpump (£47) even though its advised by VW to change  :stupid: but nonetheless pleased its all done
had noise for over 6 months.
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
thread revival ...

had to pay for the waterpump (£47) even though its advised by VW to change  :stupid: but nonetheless pleased its all done
Great stuff!  :happy2:
Happy to report mine is still squeak free 6 months on  :smiley:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Saint Steve

thread revival ...

Another one squeek free  :happy2:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
mine does it a when cold so better get it sorted asap  :rolleye:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
mine does it a when cold so better get it sorted asap  :rolleye:

I had mine done at 56k at Stockport Smith Night Fay for reference, as they tried to make Beddie pay I think to start with and his is newer than mine with fewer miles  :stupid:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
One more to add to this list...  :pomppomp:

Took my car in to dealer last week about a squeak under the bonnet, they changed the auxiliary belt and tensioner- didn't solve it...

Took it back in again this week, had cam belt and tensioner replaced today, tensioner was under warranty but had to pay £38 for the cam belt.

I asked if I should have the water pump changed too at this point but apparently it's a completely different job and would've only been necessary on the earlier gti's.  :confused: I'll just take his word for it.

Happy that it's sorted now.  :smiley:

Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Being charged for 'cambelt noise' warranty work on the '30?? Now sorted!
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2010, 04:21:33 pm »
At what mileage did the cambelt problems occur?  Is the tensioner replaced at the 60K service when the cambelt is replaced?

IIRC the recommend parts to replace with the cambelt is the tensioner and the waterpump.
If you actually purchase the 'timing belt kit' (part number 06F 198 119 A, retail: £125.84, trade club: £81.80 - both pus vat), then you actually get the timing belt, the tensioner, two idler rollers, two bolts, and a nut - so that kit includes every 'wearable' part in the cambelt train apart from the waterpump.  But it is commonly accepted 'good practice' to also change the water pump too (along with fresh G12++ coolant).

Also depending upon the model year of your car the cambelt my not need replacing 60k.  :happy2:
Nope - that advice has now been superceeded.  The official advice is now to change the belt (using the kit) at four years or 60 k miles.  Naturally, the owner can decline - but should anything subsequently fail, you'll have no hope of any kind of goodwill towards the subsequent engine re-build.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2010, 04:25:39 pm »
Is there a way to tell the belt needs replacing before it snaps?  Presumably, it starts squealing like a pig in a slaughterhouse?
Often, they will just go without any warning.  Though the belt itself generally doesn't 'snap' in the conventional sense.  They either shear the teeth off the belt, the bearings in the tensioner or the idler rollers fail (though you do hear them going south), or the waterpump seizes.

Either way, timing belt failure is absolutely catastrophic for an engine - don't count on much change from a £2,500 repair bill at a main stealer.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2010, 04:28:31 pm »
Would replacing the belt and tensioner be easy enough for an indy garage?
Yup, cambelt changes are 'bread and butter' work for any garage, including independents.  Even competent home mechanics change timing belts.
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2010, 04:32:10 pm »

Took my car in to dealer last week about a squeak under the bonnet, they changed the auxiliary belt and tensioner- didn't solve it...

Took it back in again this week, had cam belt and tensioner replaced today, tensioner was under warranty but had to pay £38 for the cam belt.

I asked if I should have the water pump changed too at this point but apparently it's a completely different job and would've only been necessary on the earlier gti's.  :confused: I'll just take his word for it.

Sorry, but they have blatantly BS-ed you.  On all Mk5 GTI engines (apart from some very late Yankie versions) the water pump is driven by the rubber teeth on the timing belt.

Speak to the dealer principle, and if you get no joy, speak to VW UK Customer Services - as the stealer is blatantly lying to you.
------

Saint Steve

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2010, 08:11:30 pm »

Sorry, but they have blatantly BS-ed you.  On all Mk5 GTI engines (apart from some very late Yankie versions) the water pump is driven by the rubber teeth on the timing belt.

Speak to the dealer principle, and if you get no joy, speak to VW UK Customer Services - as the stealer is blatantly lying to you.
Doesnt surprise me shaun, some of Mech's down there are abit clueless from past experiance.

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2010, 09:24:08 pm »

Doesnt surprise me shaun, some of Mech's down there are abit clueless from past experiance.

It was actually your preferred master tech mechanic (Colin) that told me that Steve!  :fighting:
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Saint Steve

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2010, 09:27:17 pm »
Then hes gone down in my estimation then if it was :mad:

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2010, 09:27:56 pm »
Uh oh.

I have an annoying squeek on cold start up. Is it warrenty-able?  :ashamed: