Make a donation

Author Topic: My TDI Jetta Road to 350 petrol converted horses  (Read 18388 times)

Offline V3trox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
Re: My (tragic) TDI Jetta road to 350 horses
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2015, 11:36:55 pm »
this is going to be one awesome jetta! I'm interested in putting them arches on mine, do they need trimming for a 5 door?

Trimming? no, Cutting in half? Yes unless you dont need the rear doors.

Offline V3trox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 05:01:06 pm »
So I had a few hours free to start cutting out the rears. I still have to cut out a bit more but that can be done tomorrow.

How far wheels stick out

Squiffy arch :(

Side shot. Once i've got the right amount of metal cut out everything under the arch will be painted black. It kinda sticks out in grey primer XD

Drivers side

Needs a bit more clearance I think

Typical, had my thumb over the flash....

I was going to take it off the drive and get a better shot but i've got ecu problems. Namely that i didnt disconnect the battery whilst installing the ecu and i think something has gone wrong. Will investigate later tonuight once i have charged the laptop.

Offline V3trox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 10:23:18 pm »
Its all fitted up and looking good (well...apart from the need for some spacers) went to the petrol station to put air in the tyres but couldnt get enough light for a decent picture so you will all have to wait until i have cleaned it for a better picture.

Yes i still need to get a badge for the front and no I probably wont be painting the bumper (even though i bought all the paint for it XD)

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 10
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 01:39:00 pm »
Well this is... Interesting! Good job so far

:popcornsoda:

Offline Sjw_Vw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2015, 11:23:35 am »
EPIC! Hopefully see your Jetta at some shows next year :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Instagram - sjw_vw. Updated all the time :)

Offline V3trox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2015, 01:05:35 pm »
Im glad some people like it. My MoT tester certainly didnt, pretty bummed about it to be honest.

Wont be going there again.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: My (tragic) TDI Jetta Not a fan of MoT testers :(
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2015, 01:21:22 pm »
did it pass thou with the arches over the rear doors

Offline V3trox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2015, 09:53:22 pm »
did it pass thou with the arches over the rear doors

Nope. I even said (this is before i knew he had been chatting sh*t about my car) i can just take the rear seats out but apparently that wont be good enough. Even though his facebook status makes it sound like he failed it just because he doesnt like my wide arches...

I'm going to trim the rear quarters down some more tomorrow and make them look "pretty" because obviously people like to look under the arches to see my awesome cutting skills (sarcasm), take the seats out and take it to a different mot place. Going to get their opinion on the arches over the door thing though before i book it in.

I dont see it as a problem but im no mot tester. If everywhere wants to be really picky then i can always weld and smooth the rear doors up but thats something I dont really want to have to do just for the sake of a couple of arch extensions.

Edit: Also they are genuine works wheels
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:56:40 pm by V3trox »

Offline Ruggy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2015, 11:59:30 pm »
To be fair mate, what the hell were you thinking. Bolting on wide arches that mean the rear doors don't open, whilst having a child seat in the back. You're luck you've just failed a mot and nothing more serious has happened.
There's no way that us road worthy car.

Jesus wept.

Offline AJG09

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • My Ride: 2005 mk5 golf 1.6 FSI
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2015, 12:40:48 am »
Should have got the mot first bud.

Your pretty committed now so if I was you id sorn it and get the arches all sorted out and looking nice a tidy and safe and id try figure out a way to trim the wide arch so the rear door can still open. But don't trim the wide arches yourself unless your confident you wont crack or f them up.

I'm sure a body shop could sort it out without breaking the bank.

Then when they are sorted you can get your mot and keep the build going  :happy2:

Offline V3trox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2015, 01:06:37 am »
To be fair mate, what the hell were you thinking. Bolting on wide arches that mean the rear doors don't open, whilst having a child seat in the back. You're luck you've just failed a mot and nothing more serious has happened.
There's no way that us road worthy car.

Jesus wept.

I was thinking "hey, i so rarely use my back doors it doesnt bother me". I mean other than slightly bigger doors and folding seats what is the difference between this and a 2 door golf? I Fail to see why bolting arches over the rear doors would cause something serious?

You dont think it should be on the road because the arches bolt the doors shut or for another reason?

To be fair i do need to cut more of the rear quarters out and tidy them up but I didnt think anything of bolting the rears shut. My theory was that i just wouldnt use them and if i need to put someone in the back i will just get a set of seats from a 2 door. The only reason i have a baby seat in there is on the off chance we go in the jetta instead of the golf. I'm just failing to see the issue i guess.

I know it wouldnt really take much to get them cut but i dont really want to

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2015, 11:46:40 am »
All doors have to open on a mot including  the boot..If the rear seat and belts are in it will fall but not sure if you remove them it will pass.
If you tidy the arches up and make the doors open it will be good

Offline V3trox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2015, 03:00:52 pm »
All doors have to open on a mot including  the boot..If the rear seat and belts are in it will fall but not sure if you remove them it will pass.
If you tidy the arches up and make the doors open it will be good

Thanks. I have spoken to a few people about it and this is the general consensus. Although i could run it without the rear seats I have convinced my self to stop being such a lazy bugger and just do a proper job. After all I want it to look respectable. At least that way i can get back to ecs tuning and tell them the kit can fit a 5 door. I'm just not very talented at cutting straight lines.

Im not really annoyed it failed but to just take pics and slag it off on facebook is really unprofessional and upsetting.

Marked up and ready for cutting.

No going back now!

Ta daaaa!

Not too bad, not pretty but it doesnt look awful imo

Although u cant see it in this pic i have sanded and laquered the edges to prevent any water ingress.

Time to start tidying up the arch and getting as much clearance as possible! I didnt take a before but somewhere earlier in the thread is something close to what it was like.

Fortunately im an avid health and safety nut. The angle grinder disc just broke off and hit me in the face. By some sheer miracle i was wearing my face mask

Looking much better. Not a perfect curve but its good enough for me.

Trimming down the last few tabs.

New clearance. Just got to seal up all the gaps. I should probably get the inner welded to the outer but when the arch is in place it makes the outer nice and rigid so all is good in my book. Will just have to seal it all up to prevent rust! I have also painted it but no pics of that.

Now the big decisions. I used a bit of the rubber seal (that goes between the carbon fiber extensions and the car) and slipped it onto the edge of the cut extension to try and close the gap and make it look semi professional. I like the look but i will go out and try to buy a more rigid one but you can sort of see the look i'm going after.

Or do i just leave the gap exposed?

Thanks for reading!

Offline bluebert92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100025.msg982250.html#msg982250
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2015, 03:31:12 pm »
Mate I completely admire your commitment to this- it's no secret that carbon fire in general isn't even ones cup of tea however that's the beauty of modding, you go to do what you like and enjoy not what everyone else is wanted you to do! As for that garage that's a complete joke that he went to Facebook to take the pish, I'd be going on with a print out and asking for an explanation in front of his boss. It looks a lot better now the rear doors work too bud!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2015, 03:52:26 pm »
Can't make my mind up if it's better with the trim on or not,how does it look now underneath the arch now.