Make a donation

Author Topic: Winter washing....  (Read 2827 times)

Ifti

Winter washing....
« on: January 02, 2010, 11:45:49 am »
I havent washed my car in a while now due to the winter etc. Just wondering how often you wash the car during winter days like these??
Mine is caked in crap at the moment, and it breaks my heart!

If I do end up washing, I dont want to just use my wash mitt like I usually do as I may end up moving grit around on the paintwork and creating surface marks, which I dont want. Hence, whats the best way to wash her? Should I buy one of them snow foam thingies and a pressure washer?? Do they really work?

Thanks

EDIT: Ok Ive just been looking into pressure washers and snow foam lances etc. If I get one, how do they work?? You snow foam the car, leave it for a while to work, then rinse off and thats it?? Does this mean no need to wash using a mitt etc? Does it really get all the caked on dirt off that well??

Also Im assuming that if you get the snow foam under the wheel arches etc you're bound to get some on the brakes etc - this wont cause any issues will it?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:04:03 pm by Ifti »

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: Winter washing....
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:59:57 am »
I haven't touched the paint on my car for the whole winter period but it is still spotless. I jetwash most of the crap off. Then cover it in snow foam let it dwell for 5 mins, then jetwash it off. I then use a hose to try and sheet the water off the car.
I did clay, polish and apply a good few coats of wax before the winter which helps alot.

I do this every few days when the car has been driven. Make sure you are not tempted to put too much snow foam in. This will strip the protection on the paint and ruin the point in doing it.

I would defiantly recommend a snow foam lance!
Hope this helps!  :happy2:

Ifti

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:05:56 pm »
Sorry I edited my above post as you replied!
So there is no need to actually use buckets and a wash mitt etc? The pressure washer and snow foam to a good enough job??

Im gonna have to get me all this stuff I think!
Need to look out for some bargains ;)

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 12:19:04 pm »
If you car is caked in sh*t then it wont get it looking spotless. You can use a mitt but I would be very careful when using it. What I would do is get it back to a clean state by.
Good pressure wash.
Snow foam.
Pressure wash that off.
Then I would use the two bucket method clean the car very carefully rinsing the mitt after every panel.
Dry it with a towel if possible.
Just make sure you are careful and it should be fine.

Then I would just keep on top of it using a pressure washer and snow foam.

Has your car got a couple of coats of polish and wax on? It will help a lot. Mine and my old mans car where in the same state of dirtiness. I snow-foamed mine with the method in my first post, did the same to his but mine came up a lot better than his.
I am assuming this is due to the protection on mine and the lack on his.

I am not a professional detailer but I do like to keep my car clean and read up on detailing! (Go to detailers world for lots of info)
 :happy2:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 12:20:01 pm »
As for the brakes I haven't heard of any issues!   :happy2:

Offline stevie_p

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 12:23:10 pm »
soon as this snow melts ill be using my new karcher pressure washer i got for half price  :happy2: wiv foam lance & snow foam!!!!!! ha cant wait :grin:

Ifti

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 12:23:30 pm »
Thanks mate - I think I'll need to do it that way since Im pretty sure it will have caked on stuff from when it snowed, and the road salt etc.

Would this do the job??

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-5869.aspx

Just noticed the thread on this as well........

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10278117&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=karcher&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1261940542427&isSearch=true

I think I need to wait until the 7th Jan though, since the 15% off promotion starts again....

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:29:50 pm by Ifti »

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 12:34:19 pm »
Im not sure on specific models, I have a K2.4 (quite old) and it does the job well. There is a thread on here with one at B&Q have a look at that. EDIT - you found it!

As for the snow foam lance there is a group buy on detailers world which is a good deal. If you go on you will see the thread. :happy2:

Offline stevie_p

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 12:44:54 pm »
i just got that k4.130. have a look at the thread on here tho 'pressure washers at b&q. they sold out at all my local stores within a few hours!!!

Ifti

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 01:12:53 pm »
I think I have mine reserved (the very last one as they are reporting out of stock now!).
Im gutted I missed the 15% off offer though.
The offer starts again on the 7th apparently, but dont know whether to risk waiting?

I will only be using it for the car with a snow foam lance, which I will buy later. Im wondering if this one is overkill though? Would I just be OK with a less powerful one?

Offline stevie_p

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 02:56:11 pm »
i would imagine it will be ok, havent tried mine yet cos still waiting for my foam lance from autoperfection. mines only for the car, offer was to good no to really so went wiv the more powerful 1! :laugh:

Offline keith

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 06:57:23 pm »
I used a foam lance on the karcher K090 which is the entry level model and all was good. I would look at the GB on D/world for the lance as its a good price. or you could wait till next week as I am getting my quote in for them Also have some good foams in stock.

I cant get near my car for snow, every day it snows.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:02:37 pm by keith »

Ifti

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 08:41:06 pm »
Yeh I think I want something a little smaller etc. It would be used on only the car, nothing else....