Make a donation

Author Topic: MPG with Shell V Power and BP Optimum  (Read 3379 times)

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
MPG with Shell V Power and BP Optimum
« on: September 21, 2015, 06:57:34 pm »
Evening all. I've seen on here, from time to time posts about MPG. I was talking to a budy the other day who recons he returs 45MPG  on a regular basis with normal driving. He puts it down to fuel aditive he uses every few tanks and running higher octane fuel. What is everyone elses thoughts on the matter? He also thinks using supermarket fuel is bulked out more with "crap", making it cheaper but not very good for keeping the engine clean.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 07:11:38 pm by AliGTI »

Offline petesimcock

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: MPG with Shell V Power and BP Optimum
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 07:48:45 pm »
I generally use tesco momentum or shell nitro+ as the 2.0 tfsi is recommended to run on 98+ octane. I get 29ish overall with varied driving and not really worrying about economy too much

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:03:25 pm »
I got 46mpg average on a 35 mile A road journey a few weeks ago. I find it hard to believe anyone could do better as I was really trying and the route had no down hill sections either! No real uphill struggle either to be honest, also no lorries to streamline and didn't use cruise control. I use Tesco Momentum. It was the most boring trip ever.

Could you ask him where he gets his supermarket fuel knowledge also? Or did someone tell him down the pub lol.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:08:27 pm by PT82 »

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 08:47:02 pm »
45mpg is impressive, he must be consistently sat at 50-60mph on the motorway to achieve that! I've averaged just 37.5mpg over the last 1000 miles, with mixed driving including motorway and urban too. I tend to alternative my tank between 99 RON and 95 RON... probably negates the benefit, but finding 99 RON around here is difficult!

Offline Guy Incognito

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:55:24 pm »
I drive like an old woman so according to my mpg readout I get about 42 with BP, 38ish with Tesco.  Rarely use Shell.

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 08:59:55 pm »
I use shell v-power and the best I have had considering I am on revo stage 2+ was 37 MPG, but that was driving like an old women  :signLOL:

Most of the time I get between 22-28 MPG but thats because I drive the GTI like a GTI  :evilgrin:

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 09:09:56 pm »
I use v power only, had a steady motorway drive yesterday and got 42mpg from my stage 2+ eddy !  :laugh:, I don't usually get that but good to see it was possible !  :grin:

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 09:34:06 pm »
I guess that was the reasoning behind FSI. To get nearly 40mpg from a 200+bhp car is impressive.

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 10:11:48 pm »
on v power i average about 25 ish around town.   doing 70 on the cruise i can do about 33ish on the motorway

Offline ReflexRob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 10:22:20 pm »
Nobody ever believes me when I say I get 25 miles a tank more using 95ron shell than v power

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 10:31:48 pm »
Nobody ever believes me when I say I get 25 miles a tank more using 95ron shell than v power
use a website    called www.fuelly.com  to track it.    use V power/premium fuel  for a couple fill ups.    then switch to 95 for a bit then back to V power.    be interesting to see if we can see an observable spike on the MPG graph.   either way. the result goes id be curious about seeing it

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 08:35:39 am »
I have no idea what the mpg is like on a 95ron fuel as I have only ever ran Tesco 99ron on mine. My long term average seems to be about 29mpg but I do mainly do short journeys. On a trip to Essex once my computer read 41.3 MPG and when I calculated the actual mpg it was around 40 mpg so they can be very economical engines if you really try hard!

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 08:53:46 am »
Lower octane - less power - better fuel consumption?

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 09:59:59 am »
higher octane = better fuel consumption (in theory).
i only ever ran my gti on bp ultimate for about 6 months then shell v power after that. I was usually getting 35mpg plus.
Most long trips would see me get 40.

Offline ReflexRob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 11:05:21 am »
use a website    called www.fuelly.com  to track it.    use V power/premium fuel  for a couple fill ups.    then switch to 95 for a bit then back to V power.    be interesting to see if we can see an observable spike on the MPG graph.   either way. the result goes id be curious about seeing it

I've been recording each fill quantity and miles covered so the calculation is accurate. I used 95 twice and had the same happen. I have switched back to 98 though to keep the pcv system cleaner and reduce carbon deposits on top of the valves.

I also didn't notice any performance drop between the two fuels either!