Make a donation

Author Topic: Why do the dealers always get it wrong?  (Read 9650 times)

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
Re: Why do the dealers always get it wrong?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 03:24:44 pm »
It still shocks me how many people suffer with damaged wheels by the dealers - they just dont learn!

Offline thegolfguy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • i wont like diesel ever again...:@
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 11:46:21 pm »
The wheel thing happened to me aswell! :pomppomp: :P
although i upgraded the wheels but the ones i got with it were totally done...
reson being im in glasgow and the car was a milton keynes learners car or some other story made up and i didn't have a choice to see the car before i put a deposit down. The reason why i put a deposit down for an unseen car at "UNCLE ARNOLD CLARK" was that it was a whole £4000 cheaper than an average and it only had 000,080 miles on it which was shocking for a 2 year old golf.!
ok so yes it was stupid of me and bla!bla!bla! David Carpenter one of Arnolds Cowboys went through about 8 remarks and i stupidly put a deposit down. its not that its a bad car but the wheels and a odd door strip and no mats and wrong oil in the wrong place was the problem which obviously he wouldn't have told me... :driver:
also, when i got the car it was filthy and i asked why was i givin it in this state and the cheeky f****r says "u got it £4000 cheap didn't u" and he said call the manager to get the rest fixed but nope. Apparently he was busy,busy,busy. :confused: wont be buying from unlce
Clark again.!
"thanks for reading my rant" :signLOL:
DO I KNOW U?

Nick S

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 05:06:34 pm »
Why is it, (and this isnt just VW) that nowadays to have anything fixed on a car it has to go in twice.   No matter what it is, you can give them an accurate description of a fault but they still take it in to "diagnose" it, then you need to book it in again to be fixed.
Why do they also think you can just pop in there with it any time "how about Tuesday next week?" Er how about I work for a living and you cant give me a car for 5 weeks.
Mines in on Friday for something they diagnosed before Xmas but with 2 additional issues that I have no doubt I will be booking it in for in a weeks time.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 07:41:18 pm »
Why is it, (and this isnt just VW) that nowadays to have anything fixed on a car it has to go in twice.   No matter what it is, you can give them an accurate description of a fault but they still take it in to "diagnose" it, then you need to book it in again to be fixed.
Why do they also think you can just pop in there with it any time "how about Tuesday next week?" Er how about I work for a living and you cant give me a car for 5 weeks.
Mines in on Friday for something they diagnosed before Xmas but with 2 additional issues that I have no doubt I will be booking it in for in a weeks time.

And breath.  :grin:

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 10:15:13 pm »
Not that it's an excuse, but, cars are more complex than they used to be and together with dealers not wanting to hold as much stock anymore have to order parts in more often. Hence why the diagnosis is made then you return again when the parts have arrived.
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 11:22:24 pm »

Depends on how good the dealers are i suppose.

I had the ECU light come on with my old Leon Cupra so i foned my dealer. They are about 40 miles away so i said to them i could put it on vag com and give them the fault code so they could order the part. No problem was the response. Plugged in gave them the code then it went in and got fixed in one day. Turns out they actually use Vag Com theirselves as its better than the factory gear!

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 03:00:07 pm »
when i take my gti to a dealer for its service ill be taking digi pics especially of the wheels ill also be be supplying my own oil they dont like it but tough

Offline ruffrydaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 01:24:58 am »
Sorry to bring up an old thread but what a f*cking joke.
Took my cambelt change today to vw for a piece of mind and got the opposite.
Its running really rough, timing torsion seems wrong, gonna go back
Monkeys could have done a better job

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 07:45:48 am »
When the dealer did my cambelt, they "forgot" to retension the auxillary drivebelt (still had the locking pin in). Luckily I noticed the alternator warning light was still on after starting the car and marched straight back in.

The reply - oh sorry, must have been one of the trainees WTF !!!!!   :fighting:

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 2
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 09:30:15 am »
Is a test drive still not part of a service these days? I was always under the impression that a test drive was part of the list of things to do for the technician. I'd go back to the VW dealer and ask who took your car out on a the test drive, and ask to speak to them in front of as many people as possible and cause a scene.

I too have had nothing but blunders with main dealers, Full Service and they didn't replace the spark plugs (or even remove the engine conver to show that the PCV valve on my old 1.8T was completely shot). In my opinion a service should involve a visual inspection of everything under the bonnet. My MKV is due a service in 5K and I won't be taking this to a stealer

Edit - Just noticed this is a very old thread, probably too late now
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:32:13 am by AnSGTI »

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 10:26:45 am »
For the record, Arnold Clark Jordanhill at my last service also put in the incorrect oil. They took it back and put the correct stuff in, alledgedly.... They only hand scribbled on the service document the correction though...not sure if I should have made more of it.

I think I will stick a label on my filler cap next time..."LONG LIFE ONLY", they may of course then just piss in it.  :signLOL:

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 11:37:11 am »
I had the opposite... took the car to the dealers just before xmas as the emission light came one, spoke to him in the afternoon and it turned out it was a loose air hose they reconnected and only charged for the diagnostic (£29 not cheap I know for just plugging in a computer but hey...) 

Did make a point of telling the guy when I took it in that there is only 1 small curb on the rear left wheel all the rest are mint... he made a point of noting this on the booking in sheet. When I picked it up not a mark, and to be honest only takes 5 mins to walk round the car and check before driving away... did mine with a torch too as it was late when I picked up the car....

I guess you get some good and some bad...

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 11:40:51 am »
When I stook mine into a VW for a service, they replaced one of the engine cover mounts (that I lost but wasn't gonna say anything about it) FOC.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:43:06 am by stealthwolf »

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 11:42:12 am »
When I stook mine into a VW for a service, they replaced one of the engine mounts (that I lost but wasn't gonna say anything about it).

How can you loose an engine mount stealth  :grin: :grin: :grin:

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 11:43:46 am »
When I stook mine into a VW for a service, they replaced one of the engine mounts (that I lost but wasn't gonna say anything about it).

:signLOL:
Too giddy with my excitement. Four parcels have just arrived.
How can you loose an engine mount stealth  :grin: :grin: :grin:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.