Make a donation

Author Topic: Disappointed stage 2+ dyno  (Read 9928 times)

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
Disappointed stage 2+ dyno
« on: September 28, 2015, 07:17:00 pm »

Hey guys had a dyno done today on my mk5 gti stage 2 +. Really disappointed and A little confused  :stupid: on the graph it states 293bhp but I was told to ignore that and look at the one that states 236bhp. Now for revo stage 2+ that is really low.

The car is not that slow. This car is quicker/feels than a BMW z4 260bhp (and it's lighter) it also can easily keep up with a mapped s3. So  have I  been told wrong. It' Definitely feels more like 290bhp.

The guy that dyno ed the car was completely against revo and said there numbers are always way off. Think he was trying to sell me his tune too.

What do you guys think from the graph.

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Disappointed stage 2+ dyno
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 07:34:43 pm »
corrected power is a calc derived on the rediculous IAT shown. What settings? 236hp is rather low
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:39:30 pm »
corrected power is a calc derived on the rediculous IAT shown. What settings? 236hp is rather low

Settings are B9 T4 F6

Why would that number not be on the graph?

What is the 293bhp figure??

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 07:50:18 pm »
Power at the wheels is low, is the car in good health? Plugs, dv etc....
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 07:56:38 pm »
Power at the wheels is low, is the car in good health? Plugs, dv etc....

Car was logged last week and everything seemed ok. DV seems to hold boost fine. Peeks at 21psi. No faults shown up either.

Really confused, no way this car is 236bhp!

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 08:05:49 pm »
Rolling roads are a lottery. Any others close by that you can go to for a comparison?
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 08:16:53 pm »
Rolling roads are a lottery. Any others close by that you can go to for a comparison?

I have been told before that they are a lottery but the guy said his was just re-calibrated and that it was extremely accurate. Plus don't really wanna spend another £50 each time to dyno. Spend enough on the car. Just disappointed :(

As I said I have driven my mate mapped stage 1 s3 and yes it was a little quicker but it was very similar.

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 09:37:56 am »
Bump. Anyone else shed some light on this

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 09:39:00 am »
What fuel were you running?

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 09:48:23 am »
There's no way it's 293hp, but 236hp at the fly, or 180odd at the wheels does seem low, i'm sure mine last Dyno'd at around 220-230whp on fairly mild Revo settings, but mine peaks higher than 21psi on B9. Have you had the Dv checked or replaced with a new Rev G?

The 293hp is on there due to the standard correction used, based on the IAT measuring 70+ degrees C which yours will NOT be reading. Seriously - totally discount the 293hp figure as it is theoretical and useless. Also bear in mind Revo quote anywhere from as low as 247hp for Stage 2+, depending on the car and settings used etc.

A mapped Stage 1 S3 should be knocking on the door of 300hp but is heavier, so perhaps you are running around the 270hp mark i would expect and the dyno is just off. Only way to know is to take it somewhere that is known to produce half tidy/accurate figures.

Have you got the logs to hand? Can't remember if i've looked at them. What intake do you have and what MAF readings? How well is boost holding etc. What mods do you have in general?
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 11:34:52 am »
There's no way it's 293hp, but 236hp at the fly, or 180odd at the wheels does seem low, i'm sure mine last Dyno'd at around 220-230whp on fairly mild Revo settings, but mine peaks higher than 21psi on B9. Have you had the Dv checked or replaced with a new Rev G?

The 293hp is on there due to the standard correction used, based on the IAT measuring 70+ degrees C which yours will NOT be reading. Seriously - totally discount the 293hp figure as it is theoretical and useless. Also bear in mind Revo quote anywhere from as low as 247hp for Stage 2+, depending on the car and settings used etc.

A mapped Stage 1 S3 should be knocking on the door of 300hp but is heavier, so perhaps you are running around the 270hp mark i would expect and the dyno is just off. Only way to know is to take it somewhere that is known to produce half tidy/accurate figures.

Have you got the logs to hand? Can't remember if i've looked at them. What intake do you have and what MAF readings? How well is boost holding etc. What mods do you have in general?

I believe the car was suffering from a lot of heat soak (this has to be it!) There is no way this car is 236bhp. The guy said his dyno was spot on too and that he sees this all the time with Revo! The car had been driven for 1 hour to get to the place and yesterday was a warm day too. He then done a WOT test run on the dyno before it made 236bhp. The second run it made 229 bhp (-7 bhp) (so its seems clear heat soak is a big issue with my car)

He said an intercooler would make a big difference (10-12bhp) and to replace the stock cat back of my exhaust to free up a few more bhp (2-5 bhp)

I know the car is not 293bhp but its deffo feels around the 270 mark.

In terms of logging, I logged and scanned the car with VAGCOM last week and everything seemed good on B9 T4 F6. Boost held well and there was no timing pull. The car feels great tbh. My intake air mass was reading a max of 200g/s.

Just really disappointed :( 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:36:47 am by jacobrownoly »

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 01:12:40 pm »
if you have issues with heat, then what you make on the dyno may not be indicative of what it actually does out on the road with decent airflow.

Hoping for even 270hp without a FMIC and a decent exhaust system is ambitious. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that 236hp was fairly accurate if it was getting that hot, with no FMIC or exhaustetc. May even have made more power with a lower boost level, as less boost means less heat.

Even then i still seriously doubt your IAT was in the 70's, but again was this verified with the cars IAT sensor? What does the IAT read out on the road? Did the dynocell have adequate fans/airflow?

If there was no timing pull then either the car wasn't that hot, or IAT protection kicked in meaning the timing request is lowered and in turn you won't make good power, but wont show as CF through VCDS.

What brand of intake? MAF reading alone is fairly useless as all aftermarket intakes read differently, some over read, some under read etc.

Offline Gaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
Disappointed stage 2+ dyno
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 01:13:42 pm »
Im far from an expert on dynos, but why on earth is he running it with a reading of 77deg IAT!?

Was there a fan running infront of the car? Any cool air directed to intake?

Either its a false reading or the IATs were extremely high for some reason. At around 50deg the engine will start countering for the overly high temps and you clearly wont make the power!

For IAT comparison, I had a dyno pull the other day on the same kind of dyno (MAHA) and the IAT readings maxed at 46degrees, running higher boost but with a Airtek intercooler. You can see how close my engine and corrected readings are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:15:53 pm by Gaz »

Offline Gaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 01:14:39 pm »
Also, your G/S max calculation would make it a guesstimate of 250hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 01:19:46 pm »
Exactly my point Gaz, the figure should be the ambient temp in order to get an accurate corrected power.

G/S calculation on aftermarket intakes or cars that have been mapped is not definitive and not as accurate as it is on a standard car