Make a donation

Author Topic: Disappointed stage 2+ dyno  (Read 9916 times)

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Disappointed stage 2+ dyno
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 01:34:10 pm »
OK so I sent my dyno over to my dealer who set up the car to stage 2+ and he said he is going to look into why my temps are so high. He saids you lose a lot of power after 50c never mind 77c!!

Why would the car be running so hot? Is it clearly an intercooler problem? Or something else? I have VAGCOM, what blocks should I look to log to see if the car is ok?

As stated before the car was ran quite hard before this 236 was made. So its clearly heat that is the problem.
Thanks

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 01:38:57 pm »
Measure the block which has the Intake Air Temperature after some hard driving and full throttle runs and see how high it gets. Try some hard accelerations at low speed repeatedly to get the temps up as high as possible and see if you can replicate anything even close to 77 degrees c

As they said, upwards of 50 degrees is a big no-no but it should not be getting that high unless the dynocell had inadequate airflow, and even if it did, it won't be that high and will make more power on the road

TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline carmaduk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 01:46:00 pm »
Mine came with various rolling road printouts at each stage of tune and latest is apparently stage 2+

Latest graph showed 267bhp and 366lb/ft - measured at fly - I would have thought it should be more with the state of tune and mods but I'm new VW so not 100% sure.

As with anything though different measuring equipment and circumstances can seriously alter readings  :confused:
05 5dr GTi black - APR stage 2+  Stage 2 Airtec FMIC - VWR 360mm front BBK inc FK spacers - Milltek turbo back resonated inc Hi-Flow CAT and downpipe - Forge Twintake - APR HPFP - Whiteline anti-lift - SMFW conversion - Stage3 Clutch

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 01:54:15 pm »
Measure the block which has the Intake Air Temperature after some hard driving and full throttle runs and see how high it gets. Try some hard accelerations at low speed repeatedly to get the temps up as high as possible and see if you can replicate anything even close to 77 degrees c

As they said, upwards of 50 degrees is a big no-no but it should not be getting that high unless the dynocell had inadequate airflow, and even if it did, it won't be that high and will make more power on the road

When I logged the car last week my intake temps where actually 77c on the logs! With no timing pull on T4.

Is my intercooler goosed :scared:

Offline Gaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 01:55:47 pm »
When mine was on the RR for a power run, they measured the IAT with VCDS logs. What is the IAT reading on the dyno actually for if they dont use it to read actual IAT?

Id say 270bhp is probably what to expect at stage 2+ on K03. Thats pretty good torque too, didnt think you could do that torque with K03!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 01:58:37 pm »

When I logged the car last week my intake temps where actually 77c on the logs! With no timing pull on T4.

Is my intercooler goosed :scared:

Seems odd, measure it from start up and see if its reading correctly and check when it gets overly hot etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline carmaduk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 02:18:02 pm »
Ah so about right then, from the mods it has and the printout.

I to thought the torque was quite high but then it has been converted to SMFW and stage 3 clutch to cope with it I guess
05 5dr GTi black - APR stage 2+  Stage 2 Airtec FMIC - VWR 360mm front BBK inc FK spacers - Milltek turbo back resonated inc Hi-Flow CAT and downpipe - Forge Twintake - APR HPFP - Whiteline anti-lift - SMFW conversion - Stage3 Clutch

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 02:19:45 pm »
Your GTI measured less WHP than my Ed. 30 with stock map and some upgrades.

I'd guess that the 236 BHP would be the real figure to look at.

Get a better IC, even a cheap Chinese generic IC from ebay is bigger than the S3 IC and will improve a lot your intake temps. :happy2:

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 04:23:18 pm »

Get a better IC, even a cheap Chinese generic IC from ebay is bigger than the S3 IC and will improve a lot your intake temps. :happy2:

Yeah, am pretty sure if my was at 19C and not 77C mine would be miles quicker.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 04:34:05 pm »

Yeah, am pretty sure if my was at 19C and not 77C mine would be miles quicker.
My mechanic told me that the intake temp was more like 40ÂșC after he cooled the IC by spraying it with water. I have a PolarFIS Adv. fitted so he knew the exact temp the intake sensor measured. That intake temp value was input by the guy doing the dyno test as an estimated value and wasn't based on the intake temp sensor readings. As you can see there was almost no correction in the engine output based on those temperatures.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 12:53:48 am »
Check sensor reading after the car has stood overnight but before starting it, should read ambient and the same as the coolant temp sensor etc.

If your IAT is a true 77 degrees C then you have major cooling issues which you need to resolve. The timing pull (or lack of) is irrelevant as the ECU requests less timing to compensate for the hot temps, so you won't get any CF's. Sounds like you have a lack of airflow to your intercooler.... Get an upgrade (alloy S3 will be fine) and check the condition of the A/C condenser as if the fins on this are damaged it will severely impair flow through the intercooler. Get a new one and fit at the same time would be a good idea.

DIN70020 is correction based on a standard temp of 20 degrees C, and 1.01 bar atmospheric pressure, so the closer you are to this, the less correction you will get
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pa9clqrbja00pcpk335eoadtkq&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 09:45:38 am »
77 degrees. Sheeesh!!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2015, 10:18:01 am »

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 10:41:23 am »
Somewhere within the 29 pages that i have no intention of reading through?  :laugh: :grin:

The issue with figures is correcting by IAT measured through OBD, so you're correcting for sky high intake temps.... Means having a decent intercooler is pointless on these dynos....

IAT correction should be the ambient temp in the room/dyno cell, not the measured IAT by the car
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:14:41 am by Dan_FR »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 11:47:19 am »
Somewhere within the 29 pages that i have no intention of reading through?  :laugh: :grin:

The issue with figures is correcting by IAT measured through OBD, so you're correcting for sky high intake temps.... Means having a decent intercooler is pointless on these dynos....

IAT correction should be the ambient temp in the room/dyno cell, not the measured IAT by the car

You read enough.  :happy2: