Make a donation

Author Topic: Help Me choose suspension - Tein Euro or Cross competition.  (Read 8296 times)

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Help Me choose suspension - Tein Euro or Cross competition.
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 08:04:52 am »
Poko- havent you gone Big Turbo with your car? I seem to recognise it from another forum?

Welcomes any how!!

Plenty of gurus to take advise from over here!!

What about the club sports that TC has?

I wanted to go big turbo with my car, but after conulting many people including Hurdy who reffered me to this forum , i decided to stick with k04.

i would probably be as fast if not faster in most common situations with thek04 and i would save myself a lot of money in the BT upgrade.

that might still change , but for now that's the decision.

about the club sports, aren't those a real extreme set not really for road use ?

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 08:08:44 am »
what colour is that -lambo nero nemesis- any links.

although a little off topic - this is the nero nemesis :

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 08:11:46 am »
Hi Poko,

I have the Bilsteins and have had Eibach's (basically KW V1) beforehand. The Bilsteins are excellent on my set-up, so can only summise that the car you had a go in must have had some other issues. The Billies are also in a completely different league to the Eibach's. :happy2:

well , i know that a lot of people like the PSS , and maybe the cars i drove had issues (although one of them for sure made a lot of effort in getting it right), but after that experience , personally i will stay away from them.

as KW goes , V1 and V2 are basically Koni's with different springs. the shock body is koni all the way and getting the koni coils is a much better value for money.

the v3 is a different story , as they designed the shock inhouse, haven't driven those , but they are suppoused to be good.

TFSI MIKE - you have those, how much harser they are compared to stock cupra units ?

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 08:44:55 am »
Its all in the setup on v3 as when mine were first put on the car crashed around abit but once I had the it corner weighed and setup with me in the car to get the balance correct the car is so much better and is a pleasure to drive hard on track and is do smooth off track in everyday driving

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 09:38:52 am »
Itonce I had the it corner weighed and setup with me in the car

you are right ... but  no one in israel can do that for me.
so with a suspension with less options , or an option to set it directly from inside the car i can get to the right setup more quickly.

although i start to consider the v3 more.

my problem is that every forum has its own "favorite" suspension , if you read in the US forums you will see that the cross competition is highly rated , and it really is a very unique coil , however much stiffer than the v3. jap forums swear by tein coils.

do you know what are the spring rates on the V3 ?

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 11:48:59 am »
Golf R gone.

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 12:06:02 pm »
Here's a V3 review for you Poko :happy2:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76450

I read it already , and although this review is good , whitejames is mainly focused on road handling and NVH.

note that after this review he wrote several threads mentioning that the V3 is too stiff for him and he changed it to almost softest position and later on before he sold his car he bough an HPA coilover (really soft)

no one here commented on the CROSS but there is also an excellent review by DANGSR who is more sport oriented :
http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34187

i can get the cross cheap (2025$ from the US) which puts them in the same price  bracket as the v3. they are for sure much sportier, have camber plates , adjustable body length etc. my only real fear is that they are described as much stiffer then the v3.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 12:11:21 pm »
I have the V3's and i believe that you'll get a far better suspension with the cross, some details on them seems more thought about than the v3's.  :tree:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 12:48:12 pm »
the fact that CROSS is a better design an value then the V3 is clear in my mind.

however they are race oriented and i am really afraid that with 27mm ARB's they will be undrivable on potholes etc.
like driving on bricks.

i really want to know the spring rates on the v3's to compare them (not in the review)

what i have now is that the cross is 9 front and 6 rear compared with the TEIN's which are 5 front and 4 rear.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 12:49:16 pm »
Forgive me if this seems rude, but I'm guessing money isn't really an option here?

I'd still go Bilsteins if I was spending my money. I bought my car already on Eibachs and although they're wonderfully plush on the road, they're too soft for some tracks I've driven. They're not a bad enough compromise to go to the expense of swapping them, so I just up the ARB rates to counter from med-hard (25mm Autotech hollow ARBs)

Clubsports I wouldn't have thought were an issue in your climate. They're not stainless so corrode on our salty/wet roads - you should be ok with nothing more than giving them a thin coat of Waxoil or something similar just to keep them gunk free.

Given an unlimited budget, I'd be going for custom Ohlins with remote resevoirs. They'll spec them for a switchable road and track set up, which on a remote res will take you less than a minute.

Also, I notice you're hung up on spring rates, you need to look at damping and valving too - springs alone don't make a ride.

Someone like JonnyC is a good person to ask about spec.

Lastly if ride is harsh, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Those Cupra discs/calipers weight the same as the moon, a change out to some proper brakes and alloy wishbones will remove a lot of unsprung weight and take some of the crash out of the ride. Likewise dropping to lightweight wheels and maybe even running a 17" on the road to allow for a little more tyre comfort too.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:50:48 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 01:07:09 pm »
thank for the reply.

as for budget issues, i do have budget issues and the cross are around 2000$ (1200 pounds) , so very far from unlimited budget. and i guess custom Ohlins will be much much more than that.

as for the clubsports, i really don't care about corrosion , that's not an issue in israel at all , we have 0 days a year of snow and maybe 20 days of rain ... not really an issue there.

however, i have yet to meet / spoken / saw anything about those clubsports so i have abolutly no idea what they are like.

as for cupra disks/brakes , yes , they are heavy , however after checking several options,  it will be around another 2000$ to replace them to something worthwhile , it is on the wish list , but for the future.

as for wheels,  that's on the plan.

in Coils the different between PSS / v3 / Cross etc is maximum 500-700$ , so i am willing to spend that extra to be happy now and not regret my choice.

as for the clubsports , anyone with experience ?

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 01:09:15 pm »
send TC/ TOP CAT  on here a pm as he runs them on his car  :smiley:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 01:16:00 pm »
just looked at ohlins :)
there is a set for MK5 suppoused to be released dec/09
but no info yet.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 01:16:38 pm »
As does Ian (Msportman) - he tracks his car a fair bit too.

Sorry Poko, when I saw you were flying someone in from Germany to paint a car, I kind of assumed you don't mind spending!

It's all about the set up, cornerweighting and someone who knows what they're doing makes the difference like night and day.
Sideways yo!

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 01:33:57 pm »
Sorry Poko, when I saw you were flying someone in from Germany to paint a car, I kind of assumed you don't mind spending!

long story , but , VW is paying the guy to fly paint my car.
i couldn't pay what he charges for the hour , let alone for a job like this

this guy is responsible for maybe 30-40% of the show cars paints you see in shows like frankfurt , he charges tens of thousands of euros to paint a car.