Make a donation

Author Topic: Help Me choose suspension - Tein Euro or Cross competition.  (Read 8278 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Help Me choose suspension - Tein Euro or Cross competition.
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2009, 01:46:15 pm »
Poko You can order any spring rate you want with the Kw V3 I dont know what the customer service is like in your country but the KW chaps over here are really helpful although there is limits to what they know about the product.
Also if you ring VWR over here they are very experienced with KW and they can basically ring up Germany give them your brief of what you are looking for and they will come back with various rates of springs that will suit your needs.  :happy2:

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2009, 02:09:11 pm »
topcat , thanks for the post here and the PM , you really got me interested in the clubsports.

as for VWR , i guess they will be willing to help only if i buy through them , and the price difference to the US is huge.

i can get V3's around 1,800$ in the US right now.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2009, 02:10:26 pm »
thank for the reply.

as for budget issues, i do have budget issues and the cross are around 2000$ (1200 pounds) , so very far from unlimited budget. and i guess custom Ohlins will be much much more than that.

as for the clubsports, i really don't care about corrosion , that's not an issue in israel at all , we have 0 days a year of snow and maybe 20 days of rain ... not really an issue there.

however, i have yet to meet / spoken / saw anything about those clubsports so i have abolutly no idea what they are like.

as for cupra disks/brakes , yes , they are heavy , however after checking several options,  it will be around another 2000$ to replace them to something worthwhile , it is on the wish list , but for the future.

as for wheels,  that's on the plan.

in Coils the different between PSS / v3 / Cross etc is maximum 500-700$ , so i am willing to spend that extra to be happy now and not regret my choice.

as for the clubsports , anyone with experience ?

I have no experience with øhlins on cars, but from my experience in RR bikes, the are among the best, problem is they are for people with sponsors that will pay the huge bills for keeping them maintained and serviced, they require a lot of service and often also, so you will spend more money keeping them serviced than buying them.

As Tony wrote lighter brakes S3/TT lower arms in alloy together with lighter wheels may help you live with Cross or KW Clubsport.

Just my penny worth  :driver:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2009, 02:15:01 pm »
i am pretty certain the the Cupra has the lighter front arms.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2009, 02:30:18 pm »
topcat , thanks for the post here and the PM , you really got me interested in the clubsports.

as for VWR , i guess they will be willing to help only if i buy through them , and the price difference to the US is huge.

i can get V3's around 1,800$ in the US right now.

If you ask to speak to Mat when you ring VWR and tell him this forum said you would help me, if they are not rushed off there feet they will defiantly help you they have a really good relationship with KW they even get there own colour blue on the springs instead of the standard yellow as you can just see in this pic.

Also Julian at balance motorsport is very Knowledgeable about the product and is also very helpful.    :happy2:

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2009, 02:43:18 pm »
top cat ,

the main question that rises after your answer is :

where the **** can i get a set of wheels like yours ? :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2009, 02:54:12 pm »
they are works VS-XX. Work wheels USA will point you in the right direction.  :santa:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2009, 03:43:11 pm »
Hi Poko,

I have the Bilsteins and have had Eibach's (basically KW V1) beforehand. The Bilsteins are excellent on my set-up, so can only summise that the car you had a go in must have had some other issues. The Billies are also in a completely different league to the Eibach's. :happy2:

well , i know that a lot of people like the PSS , and maybe the cars i drove had issues (although one of them for sure made a lot of effort in getting it right), but after that experience , personally i will stay away from them.

as KW goes , V1 and V2 are basically Koni's with different springs. the shock body is koni all the way and getting the koni coils is a much better value for money.

the v3 is a different story , as they designed the shock inhouse, haven't driven those , but they are suppoused to be good.

TFSI MIKE - you have those, how much harser they are compared to stock cupra units ?

Feel alot of little bumps. Awesome Gti told me they were at the default setting.  I find them ok on the road, it is very subjective though everyones idea of what they want from a daily drive is different.  Im sure you could tell you tuner or speak to KW about what kind of ride you want and they would set them or advise how to set them accordingly...

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2009, 04:11:22 pm »
typical awesome  :rolleye: what is the point of just bunging on fully adjustable coils if they are not going to set them up :stupid: it makes them a waste of ££££ as thats the point of them  :stupid: GET THEM SET UP  :rolleye:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2009, 04:13:43 pm »
I don't think they have the means to cornerweight for starters, they need sorting Mike - bet you can get a 100% improvement on them.
Sideways yo!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2009, 04:15:06 pm »
typical awesome  :rolleye: what is the point of just bunging on fully adjustable coils if they are not going to set them up :stupid: it makes them a waste of ££££ as thats the point of them  :stupid: GET THEM SET UP  :rolleye:

True.  I was just happy at the time as Id had Cooler, Pump, 2+ Map, Roll bars, V3s, Dbilas all fitted

Vwr have suggested a session to set it all up appropriately...

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2009, 04:15:47 pm »
get yourself booked in at vwr mate its worth the drive as the car will handle like it should  :driver:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2009, 04:56:44 pm »
you might be able to keep up with the blue bolt then mike :grin:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2009, 04:59:45 pm »
you might be able to keep up with the blue bolt then mike :grin:

Blue bolt....  *sarcastic snigger   :wink:

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2009, 10:07:47 am »
ok , just an update.

i have narrowed it down to 3 models.

1) KW ClubSports (topcat recommendation) , sound like they are not extremly harsh and have camber plates
2) JIC CROSS COMPETITION - i think they are superior in design to the KW , but i am not certain how much harser they are.
3) NEW SACHS COILOVERS - read some great reviews in us forums and sachs is a great company.

does anyone here in the forum installed or heard of the SACHS ? they don't have camber plates but they are suppoused to be a great compromise of road/track.