Make a donation

Author Topic: How much money you spent on your ed30  (Read 5456 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: How much money you spent on your ed30
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 02:11:17 pm »
Not sure tbh a few more quids after this week

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 03:07:02 pm »
Helix Clutch, Loba pump and a remap.  Tis all it needs.  About a grand in parts + labour + £350ish for the map.
It will need as well: good tyres, better brakes (at least better pads) and better suspension (or at least OEM dampers in good condition). :wink:

Hmmmm yeah, trouble is, I have expensive tastes when it comes to that stuff.  I'm thinking AP Racing, Pilot Super Sports and Ohlins and they all cost a bomb!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 04:19:19 pm »
Helix Clutch, Loba pump and a remap.  Tis all it needs.  About a grand in parts + labour + £350ish for the map.
It will need as well: good tyres, better brakes (at least better pads) and better suspension (or at least OEM dampers in good condition). :wink:
Hmmmm yeah, trouble is, I have expensive tastes when it comes to that stuff.  I'm thinking AP Racing, Pilot Super Sports and Ohlins and they all cost a bomb!
You have a good taste. You can always try to get them one each year. :signLOL:

I always upgrade brakes and suspension before seriously tuning the engine. :wink:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 04:58:00 pm »
You have a good taste. You can always try to get them one each year. :signLOL:

I always upgrade brakes and suspension before seriously tuning the engine. :wink:

Yeah I used to as well mate.  I had KW V3s and AP 4 pots on my old Corrado before whacking a turbo onto it, but I'm older and wiser now  :smiley:

I think I must be the only person who thinks the GTI's standard brakes and suspension are OK  :grin:    Yeah they can be improved, but in my day-to-day driving, they're not hopelessly terrible or dangerous!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 05:17:43 pm »
To get to stage 2+ for me, I've spent under £4000 as I've been attacking forum classifieds and eBay. I keep a spreadsheet of all the costs so far so I can track exactly how much I've spent (sad, but I do love a good spread sheet).

Factoring in the suspension and brake upgrades I'm lining up, that's another £1500 approximately so total spend will be about £5500. I don't have labour costs so far as everything bar the exhaust and remaps (had free fitting though) have been done myself which saves a fair amount of cash.

End of the day, if you're patient and realistic you can save a shed load of cash but it does require a fair amount of time continuously searching for the bargains. Best one for me so far was the APR intercooler, £960 RRP but I bagged it delivered for £550! :happy2:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 06:30:58 pm »
@Tfsi_Mike  must be at 20K easily I would have thought.

I think he's paid Alex enough money to buy another house  :laugh:

Mike must be a senior shareholder by now? @Tfsi_Mike   :laugh: :grin: :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 07:23:13 pm »

If I earnt better Money I'd be there every month lol

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 04:07:49 pm »
Probably a bit off topic but what is everyones plan for their ED30.

Some people don't seem to understand why I snapped up a car that was on a 56 plate rather than go for a new model as most of them are unfamiliar with it being a special edition.

I mean I do really like the MK7 style and it is a vast improvement in my mind on the MK6 but I plan to hold onto and maintain my ED30 for aslong as possible and even when I have to get a new car keep it as a 2nd Car if money will allow  :laugh:

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 04:46:04 pm »
To get to stage 2+ for me, I've spent under £4000 as I've been attacking forum classifieds and eBay. I keep a spreadsheet of all the costs so far so I can track exactly how much I've spent (sad, but I do love a good spread sheet).

Factoring in the suspension and brake upgrades I'm lining up, that's another £1500 approximately so total spend will be about £5500. I don't have labour costs so far as everything bar the exhaust and remaps (had free fitting though) have been done myself which saves a fair amount of cash.

End of the day, if you're patient and realistic you can save a shed load of cash but it does require a fair amount of time continuously searching for the bargains. Best one for me so far was the APR intercooler, £960 RRP but I bagged it delivered for £550! :happy2:

I like your way of thinking. I have a simular method.

Im slowly racking up parts, Downpipe, intake, DV roll bars etc. thinking of a turbo. Once I have all the parts, I will try fitting myself, or if I get defeated by bolts then get it done at by my mechanic and ask for a discount as its a bulk of things to fit.

All good fun though