Make a donation

Author Topic: Audio Amp Positioning  (Read 2592 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Audio Amp Positioning
« on: November 25, 2009, 02:10:54 pm »
Guys,

Thinking of placing my audio amp on the underside of the parcel shelf in and amongst the parcel/boot net that's there to help disguise it from view slightly.
- Reasons for/against?

Other than leaving enough slack for the wires to stretch when the boots opened/closed, I couldn't think of many reasons against.
Reasons for are so it maximises boot space and also will keep it out of direct sight when the boot is open.

The amp is a Kenwood 1800watt, standard ish' size and weight is around average too.
Still yet to decide where my 12" Sub will go  :chicken: :indifferent:

Thanks,
Pete.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 09:35:31 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
Re: Audio Amp Positioning
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:34:24 pm »
Well here's the issue, I still need to get to the boot well regularly and don't want to chop the boot up.

So, how about mounting the sub on the sub + amp on the passanger side rear seat? Screw them down jobby?
Is there enough plywood/mdf (or whatever backs the seat) to screw these into?

Appreciate any pointers - Cheers.
Pete

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:45:46 pm »
Well here's the issue, I still need to get to the boot well regularly and don't want to chop the boot up.

So, how about mounting the sub on the sub + amp on the passanger side rear seat? Screw them down jobby?
Is there enough plywood/mdf (or whatever backs the seat) to screw these into?

Appreciate any pointers - Cheers.

I had Velcro from B&Q and stuck it on for a bit. There was no problem with that but I wanted it out of sight. I now have it underneath the carpet in the spare wheel. I cut out a template in the foam and made sure there was plenty of air space. I dont have a problem with it over heating! I much prefer it there as it wont get damaged and it doesn't take up space! :happy2:

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
    • DA Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 09:26:29 am »
The only thing you'll have to make sure of is getting enough airflow, otherwise the amp will overheat :smiley:

I'll be doing the same thing in the next couple of months and am still deciding where my 2 amps willl go (1x4ch amp & 1x 2ch for sub) - toying with the idea of under the front seats. Might be some heater issues tho.
Failing that, screwing onto the rear seats, with some black speaker cloth to cover them for security....

Just a thought :smiley:

Get some pics up when you decide how to do it!

DAn

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 06:49:37 pm »
^ Dan - This is exactly what I thought about mate. It's the obvious mounting point as both my amp and sub will fit and means I still have full access to the boot as it is out the factory  :happy2:

If it works, then it's a tidy fit. I don't think they'll be any heating issues as I'm honest. Previously the amp was mounted on the back of my pre-built sub-box and if mounted on the rear passenger side seat, it will be in the same position in essence with nothing enclosed to make it overheat.

I had some light mesh stuff from a material boutique before which covered my speakers on my old Punto's parcel shelf. Something similar again do the trick.

My only concern is on the rear seats, is there enough MDF wood for the depth of the screw? I don't want the screw to plow into the upholstery of the seat.
Pete

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 07:42:14 pm »
There is no need to screw it down mate. Just get some heavy duty Velcro from B&Q. Trust me the thing didn't budge when I had it there. Plus you could get it out when ever or move it. I wouldn't screw into the seats unless it was the only option!
But I suppose it up to you.
I haven't got round to the pics yet but I will try to get them soon!  :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 07:57:57 pm »
- If you could Ollie, that'd be spot on - Thanks mate.

How did you velcro the sub down, I'm lost on that I must admit?
If I screwed it, the fluffy boot interior would more or less hide the holes once removed anyway. It would be like stock again  :happy2:
Pete

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 08:06:54 pm »
- If you could Ollie, that'd be spot on - Thanks mate.

How did you velcro the sub down, I'm lost on that I must admit?
If I screwed it, the fluffy boot interior would more or less hide the holes once removed anyway. It would be like stock again  :happy2:

Sorry mate i was talking about the amp ignore me!
For the sub I have one of those stealth boxes which again I have used velcro on to hold it against the side of the car. I cut the rubber thing where the first aid kit goes and used it to hold the top of the sub in to stop it toppling over for extra security! Probably didn't need it!
The amp is now in the spare wheel foam as I said before!  :happy2:

Pic:

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
    • DA Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 09:15:51 pm »
Nice install there Ollie  :happy2:

Been looking at one of the home-made installs, but I'm a bit concerned about how deep the box is. Kinda need the boot-space (Synthesisers & Golf clubs etc!!  :laugh: )

Will have to look into that side :smiley:

Dan  :happy2:

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....