Make a donation

Author Topic: How do you drive your DSG?  (Read 17747 times)

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
Re: How do you drive your DSG?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 05:24:48 pm »
To be honest, I never use S, as if I'm wanting to be giving it some, I'll be in manual mode

Offline petesimcock

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 06:02:22 pm »
Yeah same here.

I use s very occasionally but find it annoying when you've manually gone up to 6th and then it decides to go back to auto and thinks 'yeah, you want 3rd now'

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 06:17:13 pm »
To be honest, I never use S, as if I'm wanting to be giving it some, I'll be in manual mode
In a very twisty road sometimes I find it easier to not have to paddle shift, just hold to the wheel and turn it whenever necessary. :driver:

I know I can use the gear knob but holding myself with both hands is easier. :signLOL:

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 10:09:05 pm »
I drive mine in manual mostly - must sound weird to anyone with a proper manual car!
Reasons being - I prefer to use engine braking in slowing speed traffic than continually jabbing on the brakes (like most seem to!).

I also like selecting the change points going through the gears for myself - DSG is the best auto I've ever driven, but in auto is does try to get into the highest gear asap, which isn't always what I want. I appreciate the lightening quick changes at all times, but they are even better when I want them in manual mode!

Still, I usually nudge it back to auto in stop-start traffic, which is a real benefit of the gearbox. Takes a lot of leg stress out of the rush hour traffic...

Don't like sport mode, so Manual is best for me. I like to put it in 'N' if stopped for a little while, and the car idles a bit better in 'N', rather than in 'D' being held on the brakes.

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 11:47:18 am »
I don't use S mode very often unless I want to overtake quickly and am too lazy to put it in manual. However the question I have is I have an Ed30 with a map and when I put it in S mode the rev limiter goes crazy and the engine sounds like a beast trying to get free.

Now I have put this down to the fact when in D it will still be in a high gear when going very slow so when changing to S I presume it is the affect of knocking down the gears quickly or have I got the wrong end of the stick here and this is not normal?

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 03:59:54 pm »
Possibly try fitting a torque arm insert bushing to see if that helps with the issue. I suspect that as it's changing down, the engine is more powerful than the DSG thinks so its causing the issues.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2015, 04:57:03 pm »
I don't use S mode very often unless I want to overtake quickly and am too lazy to put it in manual. However the question I have is I have an Ed30 with a map and when I put it in S mode the rev limiter goes crazy and the engine sounds like a beast trying to get free.

Now I have put this down to the fact when in D it will still be in a high gear when going very slow so when changing to S I presume it is the affect of knocking down the gears quickly or have I got the wrong end of the stick here and this is not normal?
Have you gearbox mapped. It will be quite different and feel like it should have been when it left the factory.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2015, 10:08:00 pm »
Sat and listened to my car today while in traffic.. Left it in D with my foot on the brake and if I ever so slightly lifted my foot (not completely off) it'd creak and want to move forward... That's what makes me think the clutch doesn't actually disengage and that's the reason I don't leave it in D  :scared:

Re-iterated this to the boyfriend and he seems to agree with me, but his friend mentioned something about a torque converter. Oh I have  no idea!

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 06:14:41 am »
Sat and listened to my car today while in traffic.. Left it in D with my foot on the brake and if I ever so slightly lifted my foot (not completely off) it'd creak and want to move forward... That's what makes me think the clutch doesn't actually disengage and that's the reason I don't leave it in D  :scared:

Re-iterated this to the boyfriend and he seems to agree with me, but his friend mentioned something about a torque converter. Oh I have  no idea!
It's a twin clutch gearbox (DSG = direct shift gearbox) and doesn't have a torque converter.
That feature you talk about is called 'creep'. It's normal and is how the box is designed to operate.

That creaking was probably your brake pads releasing.

I think you may be over thinking this  :wink:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 09:40:33 am »

Have you gearbox mapped. It will be quite different and feel like it should have been when it left the factory.

Good idea. I only found out the car had been mapped by accident after I bought it so with the way it is acting it is probably unlikly the DSG has been mapped too

Offline beetie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 04:43:53 pm »
My brother has just bought a touareg with dsg and when you come to a stop in D the car will automatically put the brake on(hill hold), allowing you to leave all the pedals. So I would think it's okay to leave it in D

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 06:12:00 pm »
The dsg boxes in our cars don't have hill hold assist, as on a hill, the do roll back until the clutch catches

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 08:58:11 am »
Leave it in D  :happy2:

Put it in S every now and again to put a wider smile on your face  :evilgrin:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2015, 09:04:46 am »

I can't comment on what's best for the box but imagine this;

You've been giving the car some beans, be it spirited driving on the the road or on a trackday.  You stop and sit in D (more to the point on the hot brakes) you risk leaving deposits on your rotors if you sit with hot brakes held on.

Deposits could cause annoying judder.

Just something else to think about

Offline tlnds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 11:10:57 am »
I drive using Manual mode for 95% of my driving. Always shift into neutral when stationary , and only use D when stuck in traffic.

Have done is for the past 7 years, and never had a Mechs issue to this day.. :innocent:

Anyone have any evidence as to whether 'D' or manual is better for mech unit?