Make a donation

Author Topic: How do you drive your DSG?  (Read 17746 times)

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 55
Re: How do you drive your DSG?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 11:42:21 am »
Just a little warning for DSG drivers - Do Not let the gearbox "coast" in neutral. I.E. Do not roll down the road with the gearbox in Neutral. The gearbox can overheat if you do this. I'm sure everyone knows this but just thought It'd be worth a mention :happy2:

Definitely agree with not holding it on the brakes if you've been giving it beans and the brakes are hot.

I usually sit in D unless stationary for a long spell. The clutch pack is meant to disengage when you press the brake and re-engage when you let off the brake. The re-engagement is the creep you feel when you let off the brake.

The only thing that seems counterintuitive to the disengagement of the clutch pack when you're on the brakes is that the car certainly revs a little easier when stationary and in neutral. Can't quite figure out why if the clutch pack is disengaged? They're must still be some rotating assembly attached when the car is in neutral. Anyone know the answer to this??

Also, maybe you've noticed when trying to nip into a junction or similar, that if you jump straight from the brake pedal onto the accelerator the car can do nothing for a split second and then lurch or jump forward. This is a slightly annoying feature of DSG because of the clutch pack has to transition when you get off the brake.

Cheesy buy informative DSG video on YouTube if anyone is bothered.....

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2015, 02:13:05 pm »
The dsg boxes in our cars don't have hill hold assist, as on a hill, the do roll back until the clutch catches
Mine does, never rolls back and can hear and feel the pads come off the discs. It's a MY2009 if that makes any difference.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2015, 02:17:09 pm »
The dsg boxes in our cars don't have hill hold assist, as on a hill, the do roll back until the clutch catches
Mine does, never rolls back and can hear and feel the pads come off the discs. It's a MY2009 if that makes any difference.
Yours should have received a newer ABS pump that is compatible with hill hold control. My MY2008 doesn't have it. I'll see if that can be activated with Vag-com. Probably my pump isn't compatible, though.

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 10
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2015, 04:48:47 pm »
I don't have hill-hold either! Car was registered March 08 but I'm not sure what build year it is

Offline Jarre

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2015, 09:24:02 pm »
I tend do knock mine into neutral if I'm stationary for a while. I often find sport and try and hold onto the revs for too long so prefer to use manual if I'm going for a spirited drive. As previously mentioned D seems to get to the highest gear possible as quick as possible so only good if you're going for a relaxed drive in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Candy White ED30 :)

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 07:37:14 pm »
Bought a DSG R32 powered Passat (a rare beast) I use manual mode most of the time & I have the HHC, this is used every day and allows you to come to a stop and just take your foot off the brake and it just holds you there until you put your foot on the accelerator.

S mode is a pain and D wants to drop gears far to easily. Think i need to do a DSG reset/recalibration and see how it works then! :)

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2015, 01:26:16 am »
Bought a DSG R32 powered Passat (a rare beast) I use manual mode most of the time & I have the HHC, this is used every day and allows you to come to a stop and just take your foot off the brake and it just holds you there until you put your foot on the accelerator.

S mode is a pain and D wants to drop gears far to easily. Think i need to do a DSG reset/recalibration and see how it works then! :)
Nice buy.  :smiley:

Offline gilesthedog

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • Happy GTi owner
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2015, 09:21:04 am »
As most of my trips are not on "fun" roads the D option makes most sense, then switch to manual when I need proper control and don't want unwanted shifting of either D or S, such as overtakes or cornering. S (for me) drops gear when I don't want it to, usually when not accelerating like I'm racing away from a tidal wave, manual makes sense and it will drop gears if the revs are too low for the current gear when slowing down. As the DSG was mapped along with the engine the D mode is pretty nice for most driving and although it will change up early there is more power to cope with the higher gear, kick-down is also very good if you need a sudden stab of acceleration.

Offline Druster

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2015, 11:14:27 am »
Hello Chaps/ Chapesses,

I've not had my car (2006 DSG) more than a few weeks but in manual mode, when do you guys tend to shift up? In my mind my engine sounds a bit course at high revs so I tend to shift about 5k which then still gives some good 'shove' in the next gear with the torque that's available low down on these things.

Is that anyone else's experience?

Cheers
Dru

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9j6a6cphte7jo8n65qv1sk2l6r&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2015, 11:16:59 am »
Depends... when on full chat I change at ~7000RPM, maybe just a bit over. If just pootling around then between 3000-4000

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2015, 11:32:16 am »
Depends... when on full chat I change at ~7000RPM, maybe just a bit over. If just pootling around then between 3000-4000
Yeah, that's what sounds and feels the best to do. :smiley:

Maybe there's a difference between K03 and K04 cars... :confused:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9j6a6cphte7jo8n65qv1sk2l6r&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2015, 11:48:18 am »
Well the K04 will pull harder higher up the RPM range, the K03 runs of of puff.... oo errr!  :pomppomp:

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2015, 08:37:10 am »
My gut feeling/ar$e dyno tells me that DSG's do not automatically disengage the clutches when you hold on the brake in D, otherwise you'd feel a judder as you released the brake as it re-engages.

In my friends 2014 A3, you can feel the engine labouring a little while sitting stationary in D, which would suggest the same..

Stick it in N if you're mechanically sympathetic like me  :P
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 10
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2015, 04:15:41 pm »
My gut feeling/ar$e dyno tells me that DSG's do not automatically disengage the clutches when you hold on the brake in D, otherwise you'd feel a judder as you released the brake as it re-engages.

In my friends 2014 A3, you can feel the engine labouring a little while sitting stationary in D, which would suggest the same..

Stick it in N if you're mechanically sympathetic like me  :P

I'm just glad you have the exact same view on it as I do  :notworthy:

Offline jakemower94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101848.msg997664.html#msg997664
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2015, 10:25:52 pm »
I know this is a silly question but is there a good/better way to drive is stop start traffic up a hill? I was in this situation yesterday (I'm not used to DSGs or automatics) and it felt wrong letting it pull up the hill from a stand still at almost idle revs! It's also then quite hard to pull away smoothly... Anyone?! Haha
Silver Edition 30 #1438