Make a donation

Author Topic: How do you drive your DSG?  (Read 17751 times)

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 10
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
How do you drive your DSG?
« on: October 22, 2015, 07:49:05 pm »
Hiya

I've got a DSG Edition 30 and quite recently my boyfriend and his mate were talking about how to drive it... I know of people that will shift into neutral when at lights and I also know people that will sit with the car in D with their foot on the brake (I personally shift the car into neutral if I'm stopped more than a few seconds).. So aye, they were discussing what's worse for the box in terms of wear... Does anybody know the actual correct way to drive a DSG car? Is there a correct way? Is sitting with your foot on the brake while the car is in D and the clutch is engaged good for it?

I've heard differing opinions on this and I was just intrigued to see what you guys think and your logic behind it!

:ashamed:

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
Re: How do you drive your DSG?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 07:54:24 pm »
Sitting with your foot on the brake disengages the clutch, I'm sure I read a vw article before which stated there was no need to shift into neutral to then shift back into D,S or M

Offline petesimcock

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 08:03:47 pm »
I pop it into neutral if I'm stopped for more than a few seconds, mainly because the car feels happier when I do that. If I leave it in d it almost feels like it's pulling at itself a little. Other autos I've been in, namely 08 and 09 BMW and Mercedes seem to be much happier in d at a standstill.

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 08:25:21 pm »
I usually just leave mine in D with the brake on and feels fine. Have stuck it in N when stopped for a long time but not very often

Offline M9xxr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:38:59 pm »
like above foot on the brake for a couple seconds and it should engage the clutch, hence how when your on the hill it does the same thing. Its designed so it won't kill the clutch's.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=u0cucsm1u5b2nh7uktstbetua7&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 08:46:04 pm »
Sometimes I leave it in D sometimes shift to N.... depends on how long i think ill be at a stop. I dont like keeping hot brakes clamped onto my discs if i can help it.

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 10:51:22 pm »
i'll usually just use D  unless i've been driving hard on the brakes.  then i agree with the above id prefer to not help warp my discs

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 10:54:38 pm »
I think do as you prefer, it's a human proof system apparently.
Just feel the box engage drive before you hoof it, after that  :driver:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 12:07:12 am »
I always drive mine in manual tiptronic with the ESP off and I manually shift. Not always shifting down, but always shifting up. Also, it releases the clutch when stopped to be ready for launches...I usually do a rev or two at stops.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 09:59:09 am »
question for all of you DSG guys and Girls.

If im driving in for example D in 3 gear, Can i put it in sport while driving?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=u0cucsm1u5b2nh7uktstbetua7&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 10:01:41 am »
Yes

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 11:16:24 am »
As above, you can shift from D to S or manual at any point really

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 12:49:10 pm »
I pop it into neutral if I'm stopped for more than a few seconds, mainly because the car feels happier when I do that. If I leave it in d it almost feels like it's pulling at itself a little. Other autos I've been in, namely 08 and 09 BMW and Mercedes seem to be much happier in d at a standstill.

That's why I pop mines into neutral also.. That's also why I don't feel like the clutch disengages, makes me so uncomfortable haha!

Offline Scoobykiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 12:58:07 pm »
When driving in maniaul with paddles will it downshift etc itself when needs be? Will it stop in 1st when braking in manual say from 4th

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 01:34:38 pm »
I drive using Manual mode for 95% of my driving. Always shift into neutral when stationary , and only use D when stuck in traffic.

Have done is for the past 7 years, and never had a Mechs issue to this day.. :innocent:
I've only driven for 3 months with a DSG but that's what I came up with too. I do use S mode when I want to push the engine. :evilgrin: