Make a donation

Author Topic: Moonmiles? nah just run in... (Black GTI 55 plate)  (Read 2534 times)

Offline smifffy9

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Moonmiles? nah just run in... (Black GTI 55 plate)
« on: February 07, 2016, 07:58:10 pm »
So this is my golf....

Beautiful, right?  :happy2:

So the story, if you can be bothered to read this!
Once upon a time, in a place called Hull. I was 13 and was finding my love for cars.
My dad was looking for a company car, so set to work looking at Renault Scenic's. It was meant to be the family car for me, my brother and my mum to get places. For a bit of fun, I convinced my dad to get a price for a mk5 GTI and a type R, wildcards thrown in the mix of boring MPV's and good fuel economy. We were both expecting a stupid price for the cars but why not.

When the accountant guy at my dad's work replied with the figures we weren't surprised the type R was ridiculously out of budget so were a few of the MPV's.
Not sure how but the GTI was the cheapest on the list, almost like the quote was an error. Like the little kid I was, my smile was from ear to ear. Dad was repeatedly telling my to calm down. I was having none of it.  :jumping:

Eventually I retreated from the walls and ceiling back to planet earth with my dad saying he has only seen it in a magazine, of course wanting a test drive and a touch.

That weekend I am sat in the back of a 3dr red mk5 with a dsg box, the salesman was giving the brochure read out to us. I saw my dad struggle away with a flappy paddle gearbox, saying the manual is much more him. I couldn't careless, I was sat listening to the sound of the exhaust note reaching a mighty 3,000rpm and my dad swiftly changing up, reigniting the progression of sound, all at 10-15% throttle. The tartan rear bench, hard underneath me, replying to my dad about how much rear room there was for me and the brother. Before I could sell the car better than the salesman, the test drive was over and we were gone.  :sad1:

I wait for "the chat" to be over with mum. I am greeted with a grinning father explaining that he can only afford 2 options on the car. After a war for words and him repeatedly telling me its going to be his car not mine! Cruise control and the 6CD auto changer in the armrest were the options. The final order was placed and we were waiting.

After being told the car needed to be produced and there was a 4 month waiting list, the car arrived after 2 months, January 2006 on a 55 plate. Dad dropped the keys in front of me at the dinner table, and I think I cracked my head open running at the front window to see it in the driveway. My dad laughing at me explained that it was at his work.  Me and my dad were dropped off to get the car I can remember walking up to it shining under a street light in the car park. The moment, he unlocked it, the lights came on, my jaw hit the floor. (a lot of facial injuries that day). The mileage counter read 000006 miles, the bolsters on the seat unable to grab me yet as I was slightly to thin.

Fast forward, the car was used as a daily, rain, sun, snow, the lot. After 3 years the car has gripped my dad, he buys it out of the scheme to keep for himself. The car now on 38000 miles, on VW's service program. Fast forward, another 2 years, I am driving a Clio 1.2 16v (still the fastest car, in the world) and I am off to university at Oxford Brookes, studying Motorsport technology & Performance car engineering. Got threw that on to the bigger brother course. BEng Motorsport Engineering, basically Mechanical engineering but you look at a chassis bending not a bridge etc. At this point, my mum is driving the GTI to keep miles off and to keep it good.

Some where in between him buying it and this point, I bought my dad a boost gauge for the side air vent. It looked great because it looks like its meant to be there from the factory :)

After this it was a trip to a friend at MRC tuning in Banbury. After a custom tune and no other mods, it left with 252bhp and a F load of torque.

I have an Ibiza FR 1.9 TDI at this point, my dad approaches me with a proposition. My mum wasn't treating the golf as it should be, she only works about a mile from home so it was never getting a run out, unfortunately. So the idea was, I trade my Ibiza, with less miles on and newer for the golf. I agreed/rushed it before he would change his mind.

Now I am here 1.5 years after getting deciding where to go with the obsession. The car has massive moon miles on... 135000 miles, touch wood, we have only had 3 issues in that time.
1st the DV split, like everyone's right?
2nd wheel speed sensor
3rd the other wheel speed sensor

As it stands, now, in the garage, it has lost the T.

I was washing the beast,  caught it and it pinged off  :stupid:

I must confess
I am an avid ring' goer....
I went once, realised how close it actually is, and im hooked.

I would like to discuss plans with anyone that will reply.

Engine;

I have an EVOMS intake waiting to go on.
But I want to do an exhaust and maybe a couple of other things before putting all on and getting a map tweek.
by couple of other things, should I look at Intercooler? or HPFP? or K04? or should I just not? please let me know!! :driver:

Suspension;

Lowering springs, I think the dampers are actually quite good standard, you guys might tell me otherwise!
Anti roll bars? If they will help on standard dampers?
Some new bushes? which ones??

Brakes;

Last time I was at the ring... I had the dreaded pedal hit the floor and I had heart palpitations.
Tell me what I need to do! please!

If you have made it to this point reading... I congratulate you!
Thank you for reading, please leave comments and advice below and in turn I will be adding more and more on this thread.

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Moonmiles? nah just run in... (Black GTI 55 plate)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 08:22:08 pm »
Nice story  :signLOL:
But you lost me... where did the black golf come from?
I thought you traded the Ibiza for the golf....which was red?

MikeGolfed30

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 08:32:09 pm »
How do you rate MRC in banbury's work? I am local to them and have an edition 30  :innocent:.....standard! and I'm itching to change this!

Offline smifffy9

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 09:21:24 pm »
Nice story  :signLOL:
But you lost me... where did the black golf come from?
I thought you traded the Ibiza for the golf....which was red?

I was just tapping away  :happy2:

the long and short of it is, theres a love story involved!

How do you rate MRC in banbury's work? I am local to them and have an edition 30  :innocent:.....standard! and I'm itching to change this!

MRC is where pure magic happens.
I can not talk highly enough of MRC in Banbury, they do crazy stuff but were still happy to do a proper map on a little golf! They have a wizard mapper and my golf was on the rollers for about 3 hours making sure everything was good! it went to around 241 at the start after a few more tweeks it went up to 256 then was back off slightly for reliable power and settled on 252.

I will be going back there once I have decided to stop with engine stuff for a tweek. I am really not a fan of the "flash and f##k off" generic maps. Every engine is different and should be treated that way!

I am living in Bicester at the moment so will but using them more :)

Hope this helps!

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 08:22:41 pm »
Nice read mate  :happy2:

I wouldn't consider the mileage an issue, as you've known the car from the offset. Got to get the GTI badge sorted though, that would annoy me no end.

Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 10:29:10 am »
135k miles is hardly any :-)

The engine mods are well discussed on here and it all goes down to your budget... but yes you should upgrade the intercooler before you go for stage 2 mapping
suspension mods are  front wishbone bushes and anti lift kit and upgraded spring or coilover kit will be fine..again depends on budget.

As for brakes I am a little concerned a motorsport/chassis engineer doesn't know about brake fade :booty:
new fluid and multi piston calipers and new discs and more track based pads would prevent fade.

i'd probably remove the other badges since half of the letters have come off.  :star: