Make a donation

Author Topic: Air filter  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Gbuck55

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
Air filter
« on: October 29, 2015, 10:18:45 am »
Can anyone recommend a good air filter please I'm getting the car remapped next week and thought about fitting a new filter I've heard pipercross but then I've also heard k@n  cheers oh it's a mk5 golf gti o5 plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Air filter
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 01:23:51 pm »
I wouldn't bother.  My ED30 makes 340hp with the standard paper filter, the very same one the GTI uses.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 01:28:54 pm »
I went for the ITG/VWR panel filter. :smiley:

I haven't had the chance to check my MAF readings. The car is still with stock map as well.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 01:30:02 pm »
I wouldn't bother.  My ED30 makes 340hp with the standard paper filter, the very same one the GTI uses.
I'm curious to know what my engine will be able to do with the ITG panel filter, as the others mods support a Stage 2+. :smiley:

Offline Gbuck55

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 01:35:59 pm »
Cheers fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=iq3arck37dc0vhqfoa2jvbtr0k&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 01:37:51 pm »
340bhp with the standard airbox? Sure?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 03:13:55 pm »
90% sure.  I say 90% because my clutch started slipping at 310hp.  Had the Helix fitted but not been back yet to get a dyno run to confirm.  My mapper used the same map on mine as he's used on other ED30s with the standard air box, and they all made 330-340hp.

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 08:51:43 pm »
I am stage 2+ revo on standard airbox with vwr filter. My tuner allowed me to try a induction before buying, he ran the same revo settings with both and said it would only be right at the top end it would make any diff.

I drove with both.....

Revo intake, not as much low down torque and a more 'woolly' feel to the throttle response. Basically not as crisp low down. But a bit stronger up the top end of the Rev range

Standard airbox, much crisper and stronger everywhere except right at the top end, when I really rang the car out towards the redline if pulled slightly stronger right at the top. But in normal driving, overtaking etc in the midrange the standard airbox was better. I am sure track day lovers would appreciate the top end of the intake. But for road driving it's a no brainer for me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:54:54 pm by Madone »

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 09:15:21 pm »
I am stage 2+ revo on standard airbox with vwr filter. My tuner allowed me to try a induction before buying, he ran the same revo settings with both and said it would only be right at the top end it would make any diff.

I drove with both.....

Revo intake, not as much low down torque and a more 'woolly' feel to the throttle response. Basically not as crisp low down. But a bit stronger up the top end of the Rev range

Standard airbox, much crisper and stronger everywhere except right at the top end, when I really rang the car out towards the redline if pulled slightly stronger right at the top. But in normal driving, overtaking etc in the midrange the standard airbox was better. I am sure track day lovers would appreciate the top end of the intake. But for road driving it's a no brainer for me.
That's what I want as well. :smiley:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 10:09:42 pm »
You've confirmed a lot of what I've read Madone.

I'm currently just Stage 1 on my GTI and when I go for more I'm sure I'll leave the airbox in place, and just change to a good turbo-back and uprated pump, maybe with a better intercooler if funds allow.

I really don't like the idea of losing that low-mid responsiveness just for the sake of a bit of top end flow.

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 09:18:42 am »
You've confirmed a lot of what I've read Madone.

I'm currently just Stage 1 on my GTI and when I go for more I'm sure I'll leave the airbox in place, and just change to a good turbo-back and uprated pump, maybe with a better intercooler if funds allow.

I really don't like the idea of losing that low-mid responsiveness just for the sake of a bit of top end flow.

My car is a edition 30 so you won't have any issues with the standard box on a normal GTI if I don't at stage 2+ ;)

The other thing for me was the noise, the intake was much louder with way more I cabin noise. That kind of ruined the refined drive you get from a modern hot hatch. You would never know my car has 360+ bhp until you push the pedal. Just how I wanted it. ;)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 09:48:13 am »

I drove with both.....

Yep.  It's what I've found over the years too.

The only people who can get peak efficiency out of the TVFSI is the people who designed and made it - VW. 

As you say, any gains in the intake will be right at the top end.  The turbo itself is the mother of all restrictions on a turbo engine, so focus on the exhaust end first.

The only aftermarket filter I've had good luck with and seen tangible results from was a BMC CDA but I'm just not a fan of cotton or foam.  It has nowhere near the same filtration area of the standard paper one, so clog up faster.