Make a donation

Author Topic: Cam Follower Replacement after Cam Belt Change!  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • Life is not a straight line!
Cam Follower Replacement after Cam Belt Change!
« on: November 05, 2015, 09:39:04 am »
Hey all.

The previous owner of my 2006 mk5 GTI had the 80k service done about a month ago, which included a cam belt change.

Can any of you lovely people on here advise as to whether that would of included a cam follower change also?

The car has done 78k and i have no history of cam follower replacement except the possibility of the change when the cam belt was done, but on the service report it just says 'cam belt pack', would that of included a new cam follower?

TIA.

G.
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
Re: Cam Follower Replacement after Cam Belt Change!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 10:00:46 am »
No very much doubt it has been done. Not really considered a service item but majority of garages..

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 10:58:30 am »
No very much doubt it has been done. Not really considered a service item but majority of garages..

Even though they replaced the belt?
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 11:00:54 am »
Cam follower and cam belt are completely seperate items.
At opposite ends of the engine.
I think the fact one is called a cam belt and the other a cam follower is making you think they are linked items.  :smiley:

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 11:15:03 am »
Cam follower and cam belt are completely seperate items.
At opposite ends of the engine.
I think the fact one is called a cam belt and the other a cam follower is making you think they are linked items.  :smiley:

I think that is the case.

Hey ho, i shall get it checked out then.  Want to get the oil pick up pipe done at the same time for piece of mind...:)

Thanks for the help guys.

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 05:57:00 pm »

I was told last year by parts man at VW main dealers, near Birkenhead, when trying to order a new cam follower..." Why would you want that part? Why change it? We haven't sold one of them before".
They then denied any knowledge of cam follower issues on our cars....

Yes, completely separate parts of the engine

Do yours, its only £40, and an easy diy using the excellent guide on here.