Make a donation

Author Topic: Mould in car  (Read 8809 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
Mould in car
« on: November 07, 2015, 11:27:01 am »
So a while ago I noticed the boot carpet sometimes gets wet somehow. Also, there was water puddling in the rear light sometimes. Recently there is a lot of water gavering on the inside of my windscreen.

Today I noticed some mould on the back leather seat! What is going on here!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Mould in car
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 12:35:51 pm »
You probably have a leak in the boot. Can be one of the rear light seals that isn't sealing properly, the 3rd stop can also be the blame or one of the rubbers of the boot is split or something. Check thoroughly. :wink:

Offline david25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 02:58:17 pm »
Or water coming in the hidden vent behind the bumper.

Offline bimbound

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 10:25:13 pm »

Or water coming in the hidden vent behind the bumper.

How does one find said hidden vent?

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 09:52:01 am »
Do you have a sunroof?

Have you powerwashed the rear lights recently? If so, the dirt that would have been lodged and therefore sealing the light could have come loose and so it's leaking in.

Another one I believe is each time you open the boot after it has been raining have you noticed the rain spills off the boot and then directly into it just above the lights? Now when I open the boot I open it halfway for 10 seconds and let the water slide off onto the ground before opening fully. Anyway, I think there's a drain valve under the spare wheel that can clog, remove wheel and check!

Finally, it's probably just natural water condensation. Every time you get in with wet boots or whatever it may be the water stays in the car and condensation naturally builds up. Once it was so bad in mine I used an industrial dehumidifier placed in the boot with the back seats flat and left it running for a few hours before taking over a litre of water out. To avoid the condensation building up on the windows in the first place apply washing up liquid (one tsp) per window with a dry microfiber cloth. Leave it for a few mins and then buff off with another clean microfiber. Don't dilute the washing up liquid. It leaves a hydrophobic coating which prevents condensation on the windows. I usually reapply every 2 months!

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 11:48:46 am »
I don't think its natural condensation.

in the middle of the boot carpet, theres a damp circle bout 400mm in diameter. when I lift the carpet up, surprisingly, the metal is wet. I'm going to have a good ook today. Seeing as the damp is in the middle of the carpet, I don't think it is coming from the sides. Strange.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 03:28:41 pm »
So the damp is everywhere on the carpet. Underneath the spare wheel is soaked. I cant work out why. The side wall on the left is completely dry, but right at th bottom of the right underneath the light is wet, but that could be the dampness spreading, not the source of water. I hanged my carpet up and it dripped out so much water.

I think im just going to have to try all the different cures to see if it works. If youve had this problem and.fixed it, please let me know.Thanks

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 08:34:34 pm »

Offline david25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 07:25:10 pm »

Offline Dubbin

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 08:36:33 pm »
I had a leak in the boot and traced it to the right hand rubber seal at the top of the boot lid where the wires connect between the roof and boot lid. I just reseated the seal and it's been fine since.
GTI, DSG, Xenons, Laser Blue, Sunroof, 5 Door, Monza IIs, MFSW

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 12:54:08 pm »
So I pulled the top of the umbilical cord out the boot lif and reseated if and put a little bit of sealant around the front but couldnt get round thr back. Also put a bit of sealant on the bottom of the cord but didnt pull out the seal. See what happens

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 12:54:35 pm »
I had a leak in the boot and traced it to the right hand rubber seal at the top of the boot lid where the wires connect between the roof and boot lid. I just reseated the seal and it's been fine since.

How did you trace it there?

Offline Dubbin

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 07:31:07 pm »
I had water in with the spare wheel and could see it was wet behind the right hand lamp. I resealed the lamp holder but it was still getting wet. Then looked further afield and simply used a hose around the boot until I found the spot. It was going in at the top and coming out just behind the lamp.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 07:53:57 pm »
I had water in with the spare wheel and could see it was wet behind the right hand lamp. I resealed the lamp holder but it was still getting wet. Then looked further afield and simply used a hose around the boot until I found the spot. It was going in at the top and coming out just behind the lamp.

So did you use the hose with the boot open?

Offline Dubbin

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 07:55:00 pm »
No, I believe the boot was closed but it was a few years ago....