Make a donation

Author Topic: Stuck debris, binding calipers, or something else?!  (Read 2424 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Stuck debris, binding calipers, or something else?!
« on: November 12, 2015, 07:05:45 pm »
Evening all.

Recently I've been getting a horrendous grinding/screeching from what I think is one of the offside wheels/hubs.

It correlates with wheel speed, and seems to be much louder just when I set off after being parked up for a while. Braking or nipping the handbrake while rolling doesn't seem to affect it.

The fact it's so loud and almost amplified makes me think it has something to do with resonance from one of the brake shields.

I did wonder if the rear calipers were binding again, but they've both been replaced with new in the last few months and this sounds quite different. I won't yet rule it out though.

So, has anyone had a similar issue? It wouldn't surprise me if the design of the hub, disc and brake shield assembly is prone to grit and debris getting stuck. Worth noting that the surface of my road is sh*tty and gritty thanks to the bodge the council did in resurfacing it a couple of years ago.

Of course I'll get it on the ramp asap, just wondered if anyone had any pointers or experience to share in the meantime.

Cheers!

Offline m1keh

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Stuck debris, binding calipers, or something else?!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 02:40:34 pm »
Sounds like the wheel bearing.

Jack it up on either side and spin the wheel - if it spins very easily and makes bad noises it's probably the wheel bearing.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 03:00:57 pm »
I had something similar and it was a stone stuck between the disk and the brake shield. Made an awful noise.

Offline GSP1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 03:07:22 pm »
Yep I agree with Jay. Happened to me with a small stone getting jammed between the sheild .. such a noise.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:16:21 am »
I had something similar and it was a stone stuck between the disk and the brake shield. Made an awful noise.
I think you were right Jay, a couple of days after that all went quiet. Must have found its way out. But yeah it sounds apocalyptic doesn't it!