Make a donation

Author Topic: Plans for 2010 - VWR Query  (Read 4586 times)

Offline davoaj

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Plans for 2010 - VWR Query
« on: December 29, 2009, 05:45:48 pm »
Evening all

It's been a while since I've been online, had a lot going on in the past few months. But now my attention has turned towards my plans for the GTi in the new year.

My car is a 56 plate standard GTi which I've had since June 2008 and has now done 28k.

The list is as follows:

Revo Stage 1
VW Racing rear exhaust/Milltek
VW Racing panel filter
VW Racing pads

In the long run I'd also like to add a few other things, including VWR LSD maybe, some R32 rear lights and an RNS 510.

In the meantime though I'd appreciate any comments people might have in relation to whether I'd be better off with the VWR exhaust or a Milltek and also the likely fitting cost of the VWR as I'd have to factor in travelling down to MK from the northwest, whereas if I went with the Milltek I could just get it done at Awesome GTi.

Essentially what I want is something very understated but has quite the turn of pace. Plan on keeping the car for a long time, will be a second car in a few years. Very unlikely that it will ever be on a track but will be over to europe quite a bit on road trips.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:47:32 pm by davoaj »

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Plans for 2010 - VWR Query
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 06:10:54 pm »
If your just getting the cat-back, you could easily fit that yourself.  :happy2:
And i also believe that Greenouse has some of those very same pads for sale.

There you go i have saved you hundreds already.  :star:

Offline davoaj

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:13:40 pm »
Good work top cat! Where do i send your commission to??  :wink:

As for the exhaust, yeah it would just be the cat back but not sure how confident I'd be doing it myself. Having said that, I know a few people who could probably sort it for me.

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 06:26:34 pm »
i think milltek make the exhaust for vwr so the systems wont be far apart any way  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:32:22 pm »
dont just look at mltek though.

try looking into

pipewerx
blueflame
piper

they are all of equal quality, and i thikn they under cut the miltek as well

Offline davoaj

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 07:09:22 pm »
Cheers guys, I'd seen a few people mentioning the blueflame on another thread the other day. I'll have a look.

Got a serisouly itchy trigger finger on this now! Going to wait to see where I am on January pay day and then get started. I saw one of the guys is getting soem recon'd RNS510's in January as well at a good price so am planning on taking advantage of that if my bank balance is in agreement!

Just had a quick look on the blueflame site, they seem slightly more expensive than milltek and vwr. I'm only planning on getting a cat back, maybe for TBE they'd be a bit cheaper??
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 07:15:20 pm by davoaj »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:43:55 pm »

i think milltek make the exhaust for vwr so the systems wont be far apart any way  :happy2:

....Indeed they do. Milltek are one of the VW Racing Cup series official sponsors.

Of the listed alternatives to a Milltek, I'd look at the Blueflame (that's to say if I wasn't such a Milltek fanboy!).

If you plan to keep the car awhile, a Quaife diff is an awesome mod and greatly underrated (probably due to cost and not being able to sell on later).

Planning mods really depends what you want from your car in the longer term. Just road use? Occasional track days? How hard you drive when the circumstances are safe, what you are prepared to spend (if family commitments?) etc etc.

Try and think ahead as far as possible  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline davoaj

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 08:02:32 pm »
Thanks RR.

Car is unlikely to see any track action, at least not for the next few years anyway. Therefore want to get a good balance to get a nicely sorted road set up. I'd looked at the lsd on VWR's site, would be very tempted in the long run to go for that.

I drive it pretty hard when out for fun but if I'm just out with the Mrs, who also drives it as we're a one car household at the moment, then I just like to make steady progress  :innocent:

As for the exhaust, as sad as it is the fact that vwr have the r logo etched on to the tailpipes is a major draw on the basis that whichever exhaust I opt for would do more than a good job with a stage 1 revo.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 03:18:54 pm »
^^^^
Be very careful, davo - It's a very slippery slope - Even after 3 years of ownership, in 2008 I said I'd never do any track days.. In 2009 I went to the Nurburgring twice and did a track day at Spa, and am now planning more for 2010.

But a fast and well handling road car is a great joy and makes the GTI an even better allrounder.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline davoaj

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 03:30:18 pm »
You're probably right RR, I don't want to compromise the day to day drive of the car though so ideally want to keep things subtle.

All stems from a mate of mine who is S3 shopping at the moment, so I have some serious new car envy! I've scoured the internet and without spending £30k there is simply nothing out there that appeals to me as an alternative to the GTI, which I've been very happy with for 18 months.

Therefore the logical solution is to improve what I have and make it feel a bit more special! Already given it a very throrough clean this week so it's spotless!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 04:24:27 pm »
^^^^
I'm exactly the same as you are in this respect, davo - I want the sparkle of extra performance etc but not at the expense of driveability or reliability.

We are giving our chariots some TLC!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 04:31:44 pm »
Whilst you're about Robin - I believe VWR are doing bolt in rear and 6 point cages for the MKV now, can you find out any details?

There's no pics/prices on the website.
Sideways yo!

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 04:34:51 pm »
one of the factors that led me from my ed30 to the S3 was traction on the ed30 , mine was nt the most powerful ed 30 by quite away but in the wet the car was unusable unless you drove it like a micra SO... i would put the quaiffe diff near the top of your list, it would have been my next mod on the golf followed by S3 brakes S3 intercooler ........ so i just got the S3 !!!!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 04:45:24 pm »

Whilst you're about Robin - I believe VWR are doing bolt in rear and 6 point cages for the MKV now, can you find out any details?

There's no pics/prices on the website.

....I'm not up there again until after the Autosport show mid January. Give Matt (Walker) a call next week 01908 210088 - He's very helpful when you can get hold of him. You'll get a better understanding of what's available direct than through me.

HTH

Offline davoaj

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 04:48:39 pm »
The diff is something I'm considering, need to crack the penny jar out for that one though!! I would imagine that if I went with VWR, the fitting would be as much, if not more than the cost of the diff.

RR if you don't mind me asking, how much did your quaiffe set you back including fitting?

I do like the S3, but I've always been a Golf fan so until it's M3 time or something like that then I'll be in the GTi.