Make a donation

Author Topic: Plans for 2010 - VWR Query  (Read 4584 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Plans for 2010 - VWR Query
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 05:10:16 pm »

The diff is something I'm considering, need to crack the penny jar out for that one though!! I would imagine that if I went with VWR, the fitting would be as much, if not more than the cost of the diff.

RR if you don't mind me asking, how much did your quaiffe set you back including fitting?

....I had my Quaife done by VWR in 2008 so prices may have changed but no, it didn't cost an arm and leg for VWR's labour.

The DSG version costs more than the manual Quaife. Budget £1,500 incl everything for DSG and about £1,100 for manual, but it's best to contact VWR to ask prices.

Hurdy's friends, Stattlers ooop nawth, are also capable - Installing an ATB Quaife to a DSG box is not a job for any old mechanic to tackle.

I wrote a review here : - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=651.0

There's also a new diff on the horizon from Wavetrac.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline davoaj

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 05:19:23 pm »
Cheers RR.

Mine is a manual and I am indeed up north, although don't mind a little road trip to get things done properly.

I've had a look at your write up, sounds good. I'm aiming to get the remap, exhuast and a few other little bits done and then maybe get the quaiffe late summer/early autumn.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 06:34:48 pm »
Diffs have their downsides - they're excellent, but as they remedy one problem they can introduce others. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker by any stretch, but they're not the answer to every prayer.
Sideways yo!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »
what problems are we talking about then. More torque steer??

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 08:53:42 pm »
That 'searching' sensation as grip moves from side to side and power understeer in the wet where it jumps a metre off the apex.

Also, suddenly finding a load of grip when it is going very, very wrong can bite. A smash of a friend of mine last summer was 99% down to the diff - he lost the back, it bit on oppo with foot down to correct and it caught grip speared him into the barrier. A normal FWD wouldn't have done what it did.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 10:45:02 pm »

That 'searching' sensation as grip moves from side to side and power understeer in the wet where it jumps a metre off the apex.

Also, suddenly finding a load of grip when it is going very, very wrong can bite. A smash of a friend of mine last summer was 99% down to the diff - he lost the back, it bit on oppo with foot down to correct and it caught grip speared him into the barrier. A normal FWD wouldn't have done what it did.

....Err? Are you talking about an ATB Quaife diff? I suppose if you were driving so that things were "going very very wrong" in the first place then it's not going to save you, but I've found it's been a great help whenever it has (gently but firmly) come into action.

Lose control of a quattro equipped car and it's invariably a biggie.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 08:31:05 am »
As Robin posts, be careful on who you trust with the fitting.  Perhaps get in touch with Quiafe and see who are their prefered dealers/fitters.

:happy2:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 11:56:58 am »

....Err? Are you talking about an ATB Quaife diff? I suppose if you were driving so that things were "going very very wrong" in the first place then it's not going to save you, but I've found it's been a great help whenever it has (gently but firmly) come into action.

Lose control of a quattro equipped car and it's invariably a biggie.

Yes, a Quaife ATB.

He was crashing anyway, the diff just made for an unusual surprise. He was doing a right hander, lost the back and then as it snapped and got grip it punted him 90 degrees over to the left bonnet first into the barrier. The natural path would have been to keep sliding and send it sideways in, hopefully with a bit more speed scrubbed off.

Anyone can get it wrong though, I've seen a car put on its roof at less than 20mph.

As for the cons I mentioned, fair enough nobody with any sense goes hooning in the rain on the roads - so it jumping into a hedge half way around a corner is highly unlikely, but a wet track day and a diff'd car won't be as progressive as a non.

I'm not running them down, I want a Quaife myself, but you have to make people aware of some of the quirks too, it's not all joy. I wouldn't send my missus out on a rainy day in a diff'd car without showing her what it'll do if you provoke it first. She's a good driver, but having something 'new' happen that might frighten her wouldn't be right.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 12:36:51 pm »
^^^^
Good to know, tony_d. I'm thinking that you must drive much much harder than I do, though I did do a continuous 15 laps in the wet at Spa with a very encouraging instructor in my passenger seat and actioned the Quaife lots of times without issues. ESP was off too.

Bottom line is that the Quaife is just another helpful mod which adds to the package. The trick is not to drive on the limit, whether road or track unless you are a professional racing driver competing in a race. IMO.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 01:21:49 pm »
I think the key is being prepared. If you know what can happen and how the car will react when it does, then you can play at the limit safe in that knowledge.

Wet track days are under rated, I think they teach you much more about smooth control than a dry one.
Sideways yo!

Offline Edcase

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 05:23:35 pm »
I think the key is being prepared. If you know what can happen and how the car will react when it does, then you can play at the limit safe in that knowledge.

Wet track days are under rated, I think they teach you much more about smooth control than a dry one.

+1 - a man talking sense  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 05:42:40 pm »
agree with that, wet track days make me try to do the lap text book style, but on perfect days i seem to try and push the car that little bit more, sometinmes getting it ragged.

I know a couple guys wth diffs that have come standard in thier cars, (mk1 Focus RS and meganneR26) they have all commented on it being good, but needing to change their previous driving style quite alot